British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Nicholas

Rare as a 1905 Halfcrown?

image_zpsiindlmj0.jpg

Looks like a nice vic Halfcrown coming up soon... I know only that 1841 a rarer year for this denomination.?but does anyone have a feel how rare this coin might be and value?

Edited by Nicholas

It's a lovely thing. I'd say quite a bit rarer than a 1905 halfcrown in similar condition, but probably won't fetch as much. I expect it might go for £12k or maybe a little more.

image_zpsiindlmj0.jpg

Looks like a nice vic Halfcrown coming up soon... I know only that 1841 a rarer year for this denomination.?but does anyone have a feel how rare this coin might be and value?

One in similar high grade went for £7250 plus premium in London Coins Auction last June. Sadly, mine is just a GF to NVF and that cost enough!!! This is one of those coins where the differential between the low grades and the high is disproportionately squeezed, so that collectable low grades go for far more than they should relative to the price of a high grade example. I guess it's because the number of people willing to buy an EF upwards example is fairly small, whereas any collector of the date run must have a 1841, and so will stretch their wallet to a low grade one to fill the gap. The result is that the low grades get inflated more than the higher end - good news for those with fat wallets I guess. Not such good news if the coin is regarded as an investment, as it probably won't appreciate as much as it should.

Edited by DaveG38

image_zpsvaivdouw.jpg

Here's another pretty lady in Spink next week...

image_zpsvaivdouw.jpg

Me and Dave were talking about this one. I'd love to know how bad that 'thump' in the obverse right field is?

Anyone seen this one in-hand? It's certainly pretty!

image_zpsvaivdouw.jpg

Me and Dave were talking about this one. I'd love to know how bad that 'thump' in the obverse right field is?

Anyone seen this one in-hand? It's certainly pretty!

It sure is, I've got the 'I wants' again!

This One is also in the same sale estimated at £800-£1500 amd was listed on an American dealers website last year at $2250 initially and went down to $1850 after no bites. The scratch on the OBVS cheek is a little detracting, i'd say it was no more than a £500 coin, so looks like the dealer is looking for more than money back on this.

It will be interesting to see where it starts and falls at, i'm hoping no one bites at £800, to me its never a £1000 coin

post-5057-0-21579200-1426944498_thumb.jp

This One is also in the same sale estimated at £800-£1500 amd was listed on an American dealers website last year at $2250 initially and went down to $1850 after no bites. The scratch on the OBVS cheek is a little detracting, i'd say it was no more than a £500 coin, so looks like the dealer is looking for more than money back on this.

It will be interesting to see where it starts and falls at, i'm hoping no one bites at £800, to me its never a £1000 coin

We've seen loads of this most common of all 6ds on here, reaching nowhere near those prices! That price is ridiculous!

That 1841 is quite a nice specimen. Is that the piece coming up in Heritage. I bought an EF many years ago from DNW and then certainly upgraded to a PCGS 63 specimen that has PL surfaces but overall perhaps not quite as nice as this piece. 12k quid a bit much as I was thinking maybe 10k - will watch.

I think it quite rare and the 1843 on sale there is also very nice and likely much cheaper...I am quite shocked at what decent common variety 1839 2/6s in proof fetch these days. The "King" of all is of course the legit 1839 currency bits, the PCGS64 as their lone graded specimen perhaps one of the nicest currency Vick silvers out there....

PS - Rarity at this level very high, and as they say "must surely be amongst the finest known". I would estimate nicest you'd see in a decade. This coin is scarce at lower levels of preservation up to VF and then goes ballistic in rarity and value after that as you've seemingly surmised...

Edited by VickySilver

We've seen loads of this most common of all 6ds on here, reaching nowhere near those prices! That price is ridiculous!

This coin is undated, so isn't it a shilling not a sixpence?

I was making reference to Dave's image of the hammered coin, Dave! :)

I was making reference to Dave's image of the hammered coin, Dave! :)

That'll teach me to scroll up and look at every image!!