British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Nordle11

1904 Penny UNC - BU

Hi all,

I'm almost finished with the 20th Century with the exception of a really nice 1904 penny (and the '18 kn + h varieties, but I'll wait for these).

I was hoping someone had a nice example they want to sell? I don't really want to wait until the next LondonCoins auction, and they're seldom seen in UNC+ on eBay.

Thanks! ;)

Matt

Neil paisley,michael gouby and dave craddock have all got one .C.g.s.(london have one slabbed 78)

Thanks guy!

How do you know Gouby's stock I can't view the shop yet..

I'm also on Mr. Craddock's mailing list but unfortunately he doesn't have pictures and I don't live in England any more so can't go to any fairs he attends to look at them :(

..and I don't want any slabbed coins haha.

I appreciate the help in any case, this one's a bugger to get..

..and I don't want any slabbed coins haha.

It's whether the one in the slab is worth what they're asking, can always smash it out. I had a look and don't think it is, looks really weak.

On a related note what's the best way of removing coins from CGS slabs? I find NGC really easy just hit them on the side with a hammer, with CGS I end up getting the saw out and it's a nuisance.

^Sorry, thread hijackery

Just out of curiosity Nordle, what are you looking at paying for the 1904 in UNC/BU?

Let me elaborate, i was reading an auction report that stated a 1904 penny in UNC near full lustre was contestef too £140 so you'd be parting with near £180 with commission and postage etc. is this the sort of money you've banked on paying for a 1904?

I'm looking to pay between 80 and 140 all in, depending on the coin itself. I'm not sure about paying 140 plus commission though, that would be too steep IMO.

Previous auctions I've seen go for around 75 - 100, with the best examples going just over the ton mark, so if I couldn't get it for around that I'd probably end up just waiting again.

I was the under bidder on a half decent one at 55 pound on eBay the other day, so I've still got my hopes up :)

You missed this one then

post-5057-0-72112500-1428487055_thumb.jp

No I bought that one, I just wanted one that costs me more :P

Jk, I did miss that one and gutted too, 50 quid is a steal.. :(

Hi all,

I'm almost finished with the 20th Century with the exception of a really nice 1904 penny (and the '18 kn + h varieties, but I'll wait for these).

I was hoping someone had a nice example they want to sell? I don't really want to wait until the next LondonCoins auction, and they're seldom seen in UNC+ on eBay.

Thanks! ;)

Matt

Have you tried Gary Schindler? He has most of the rare pennies and I am sure 1904 would be 10 a penny for him.

Bump.

Still looking :P

I'm looking to pay between 80 and 140 all in, depending on the coin itself. I'm not sure about paying 140 plus commission though, that would be too steep IMO.

Previous auctions I've seen go for around 75 - 100, with the best examples going just over the ton mark, so if I couldn't get it for around that I'd probably end up just waiting again.

I was the under bidder on a half decent one at 55 pound on eBay the other day, so I've still got my hopes up :)

There's one at CGS80 going for £150 on the London Coins website - here

Might be of interest to you.

• Like 1

Hi Nordle, I think that I read on here that you purchased the LCA 1904 Penny but just thought I would let you know that a very presentable one is on ebay at the moment for what seems like a reasonable price if you were still needing one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZD53-Great-Britain-Edward-VII-Penny-1904-NGC-MS64RB-/301852649249?hash=item4647d1e721:g:e6gAAOSw-zxWn3zE

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, loose54 said:

Hi Nordle, I think that I read on here that you purchased the LCA 1904 Penny but just thought I would let you know that a very presentable one is on ebay at the moment for what seems like a reasonable price if you were still needing one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZD53-Great-Britain-Edward-VII-Penny-1904-NGC-MS64RB-/301852649249?hash=item4647d1e721:g:e6gAAOSw-zxWn3zE

Hi Loose, thanks for the heads up! I did end up buying the one from LCA that 1949 mentioned above, so that gap is filled! It was a little more expensive but it has provenance which is nice :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loose54 said:

Well someone's just bought it!

35 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Well someone's just bought it!

That would have been me :o I had not even seen this thread when I made an offer.

Yeah it looks like that guy just prices all his post 1900 pennies at $129, I was saying to Pete that the 1904 was the same price as the 1902 high tide?? :wacko:

Well done Non, quality coin! Do post a photo when it arrives.

5 hours ago, loose54 said:

Thank you for posting.

Although i looked at the others and bought the 1916 recessed ear MS 66 off the same seller.

Daft really as have a couple but thought it looked a nice coin for £85.

Pete.

• Like 1

MS 66 recessed ear wow

Coin arrived this morning Jac and doubt i will get a better one.

1916.jpg

Edited by Nordle11
To add the picture, as requested.
  • Like 1

It's a stonker Pete. Even though you've already got a few, does this now trump the rest?

Yes Matt as with most of them parts are a bit weak but a tidy coin and happy with the price.

Suprising as i mentioned on another thread how varieties are often missed by graders.

I know its not an expensive coin but an easy one to spot.

That is nice, Pete, one I'm looking out for as I try to improve my C20 penny collection.

Jerry

Sign in to follow this