British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

New_1_pound.jpg

More details here.

I have to say that I quite like it. Well done that 15 year old schoolboy.

I like it too, although the eye is drawn to the thistle more than anything else ... just saying!

I like it too, although the eye is drawn to the thistle more than anything else ... just saying!

I like it too. Got to pacify the Scots somehow, even it that means giving them a micron higher relief thistle! ;)

The Leek, thistle & shamrock look naturalistic, so why a heraldic rose? looks odd to me

Edited by davidrj

But that leek is thrusting on up there - "who's de man?".

Overall an attractive design certainly.

Same old regurgitated tat IMO

I expected a brand new fresh design for such a dramatic change in the coin.

(My design was a waving union flag in the background, large £ sign and the one was big ben

But not being an artist I gave up after the copy and pasting stage before the pencil and paper bit)

Oh well... I suppose regurgitated coin, regurgitated design

Looks like a cross between a thrupenny bit and a tanner. Overall I like it.

Love it, the thistle is perfect :D

Love it, the thistle is perfect :D

It'll be the first bit to wear off! :D

Bit too much going on in there - in my opinion - very crowded they would be better off with a split issue both with two symbols from the uk

Yes I like that. It looks like it will have alternating ridged and smooth rims too which is different.

Someone from my home town came up with the design, so I have to like it!!! We have actually won something :D

The inscription is on the inner rim which looks to be a new feature

I would have designed similar tbh.

I don't see the point of being bi metal, then having the design go over the 2 parts.

Edited by scott

I don't see the point of being bi metal, then having the design go over the 2 parts.

If it costs more than a pound to make nobody with bother to forge it.

If it costs more than a pound to make nobody with bother to forge it.

It would not be a bit earner for the government either if it cost more than a pound to make

if it did it would not be very popular with anyone

I think the minting of millions is far more cost effective than that of a small-scale counterfeiter, who'd also have to pay-off/involve a lot of other individuals in order to keep the operation secret!

I'd be surprised, especially with the 'tricky' legend, if we ever see any convincing counterfeits of this coin?

I can see the next step...advice coming out that makes it clear and easy for the general public to spot a counterfeit...followed by a couple of high-profile bank cases where the CF coins are neither accepted or replaced. I reckon we're all going to be surprised at how effective this new design will be in foiling the counterfeiters!

Get your regular pounds stashed away now, they'll be recalled very soon I reckon?

Just revisiting the new design from an artistic/composition perspective...I think the thistle should've been placed a couple more mm to the right, just for balance of the overall design!

I mean, the design, the design going over the gap between 2 metals.. why?

I mean, the design, the design going over the gap between 2 metals.. why?

Harder to copy?

and you except the Royal mint to align them properly?

I think we should have a pound coin with the welsh and the Irish put together (leek and shamrock)

And just to upset the scots put the thistle and rose together , just to assure them they will never be independant

I actually like it a lot.

I hope the mint does individual countries on very low mintage's to encourage collectors or my be die nrs on a few.

Not too bad but is this a reflection of the fact that a quid is now worth about as much as an old brass thrupence was? :rolleyes:

I think we should have a pound coin with the welsh and the Irish put together (leek and shamrock)

And just to upset the scots put the thistle and rose together , just to assure them they will never be independant

Always complaining about the Scots but never want us to leave the union. Come

The GE when we have a full quota of 50 odd Scots MPs then we'll see whats about to happen.

Watch this space ;)

Dave

50 ODD Scottish MP's sums it up. ;)