British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Emperor Oli

Have you ever seen such ridiculous holing?

I took a look at these maundy coins and the holing on the two left ones (when showing reverse) seems rather odd as it actually punches the perimeter of the coin, thus in my view rendering it useless to thread onto a chain! Also, how unsightly is the George III one - chunk of his chin is missing. Mutilated coins, but I may be inclined to bid just to hve them as pocket pieces if the price stays as it in. Unlikely with week to go, but I can always hope ;)

I don't think so. I think it's just nice to carry say a holed coin or a worn piece of gold around with you - no other reason!

I had some maundy odds like that...Sold them as scrap!

... as it actually punches the perimeter of the coin, thus in my view rendering it useless to thread onto a chain!

If you look at the 2 holes that are complete, you will see that the sides of the holes are rather square, and there is not much wear in them. The 2 that are not complete are well rounded, showing a lot of wear. Perhaps at one time they were complete holes and were worn down from a long use on a chain.