British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

HeavyT

British Raj One Rupee

Hi,

Does anyone know what are the key dates for the One Rupees issued in British India?

I've heard 1921 is often mentioned as a key date but would be interested to know of any other key dates, particulary from Queen Victoria's reign.

I imagine the last years that these were issued would have been 1947, but does anyone know when they were first issued?

Grateful to anyone who can share any info on these.

Presuming that you are interested in the silver One Rupee coins after the East India Company issues then the first date will be 1862. The last year issued was 1947 and that was struck in Nickel. I don't know which dates are key, but 1915 Bombay, 1921 and 1922 are fairly low mintages.

Edited by Nick

Ibelieve 1909 in high grade is rare

The 1939 is comparatively low mintage and I think the 1893 (or somewhere in the early 1890s) is fairly low mintage too. I don't think the 1920 or 1921 are exceptionally expensive though.

There are 60 or more different varieties of the 1862 of which some are quite rare.

Is the 1911 Rupee rare? I hear it being called the "pig" rupee, but does that apply to all rupees issued in 1911 or just a certain type?

It seems that they aren't that rare - I've seen two or three for sale on ebay Australia in the last year or so I think.

All 1911 rupees are pig rupees, so called because the elephant hanging on George V's robes has a snout-like trunk. The design is more elephant-like for all coins dated 1912 and later.