British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

LORDLUCAN

Malcolm the 4th Scottish penny 1141- 1165

I have posted this on behalf of a friend. We can't find any sales records for similar coins but I believe this to be very rare. It was found in Maughold Village in the ISLE OF MAN. It has been looked at by the local museum and is the first reported find on the Island. Unfortunately they couldn't help with a valuation.

If anyone has any ideas please get in touch. The pictures are too big too upload but I can email them.

Thanks

Paul

Images are going to be essential I'm afraid.

If you upload them to an image hosting site such as flikr or photobucket then you can then put the links into a post here.

In the meantime ... there's an article (pdf) here about a find on the Island .. http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.britnumsoc.org%2Fpublications%2FDigital%20BNJ%2Fpdfs%2F1963_BNJ_33_9.pdf&ei=d5P4VIuGOMfwaJa3gYAB&usg=AFQjCNGaHh_jL6cbR9GoRTEeNA272WMYKA&bvm=bv.87519884,d.d2s that might be of interest?

Edited by TomGoodheart

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

I did a quick google search and got a few good hits.

It is rare but other examples have been found on the Isle of Man.

I suggest you contact the Edinborough museum or the Fitzwilliam in Cambridge.

Search on Malcolm 1Vth.

I have Coincrafts Scottish Irish coins etc I will have a peek later.

Most of the early Scottish coins were stolen and hence we do not have history.

Some old guy took them home to study and was duly robbed.

There were reports of these coins turning up in Dundee and Munich but Dave our feral Scott denies all knowledge. B)

BTW packages have been sorted to Dave and Paulus.(I don't accept returns) I've tried to give you both a nice selection(most important that Daves lad can ispect his treasures and Paulus I'm sure you can enjoy a steak night with .a partner of choice. :ph34r:

There were reports of these coins turning up in Dundee and Munich but Dave our feral Scott denies all knowledge. B)

BTW packages have been sorted to Dave and Paulus.(I don't accept returns) I've tried to give you both a nice selection(most important that Daves lad can ispect his treasures and Paulus I'm sure you can enjoy a steak night with .a partner of choice. :ph34r:

Peter that is incredibly kind and thoughtful of you, I will look out for the postie with eager anticipation as I know not what the package may contain!!

You are a true gent who I would dearly like to meet one day! - I will bring the Cubans and malt :)

I remember reading about that theft, it was posted on here some time ago, it was the owner ofthe coins who got robbed, he was bequething them to a museum but had some top class stuff, all that history gone :(

Thanks again for sending the wee guy a Roman Peter, i'll let you know when it arrives.

I remember reading about that theft, it was posted on here some time ago, it was the owner ofthe coins who got robbed, he was bequething them to a museum but had some top class stuff, all that history gone :(

Thanks again for sending the wee guy a Roman Peter, i'll let you know when it arrives.

The wee lad will have more than a Roman (1880 cheque from the Royal bank of Scotland,Sottish shilling from 1959 etc etc)If he takes an interest I will be delighted.and Paulus will have enough for bit of rump. ;)

It has been a pleasure to contact over Predecimal.....I think Chris should stump up for an Amsterdam weekend.Only kidding Chris.I just hope we put business your way.I recommend your books because they are in my eyes the best.for attracting new customers...we all move on.

Sears for the Romans and North for the hammered do scare a few.The more I stay on the forum the more I learn. :)

I must admit I have established dealers from the US ,Scandinavia,Germany who I mainly deal with I do like Clive from Historic coinage and chip off a few now and again.

We now have a post box because our Springer would rip anything through our letter box.Postie now hides packages around the garden(we have a code)

The coins referred to as having been stolen were from the Lord Stewartby collection.

As for a Malcolm IV penny, I'd really like to see an image of that - even in catalogues they are rather skint.

This really narks me. :angry:

They were obviously stolen to order and must still be out there.

They bloody need to be researched and published.

Given the legitimate owner, I think you can safely assume they have been researched.

Conspiracy theory says it was Scottish Nationalists :ph34r: , after all, it was the Scottish coins that were stolen, not the English.

It would be easier of there were pictures of the coins whicj were stolen

Dave put me onto Coincrafts book on Scottish/Irish etc coins.

Maybe a few years out of date but hey who uses their pricing?

£20 delivered and well worth it.

It is an area that interests me.

Scottish Nationalists hmm

I dont know how to upload pictures on hear sorry can email.you them if you want to see them. .and its not stolen I found it detecting

That's a pretty random interjection, Daniel, what are you wanting to upload?