British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

scotsman

Hi as the title says I'm a newbie to the forum and coin collecting in general though I have coins from Edward 1st hammered pre decimal coins late modern and a liberty eagle silver dollar I do love silver coins, I like the look of the crowns I have a Victoria 1887 crown, double florin, half crown & shilling I'm looking to get 7 silver coins in that date and proceed down to the next monarch in turn, Just bought a 1849 Godless florin lovely coins couldn't resist I was looking for an 1887 Gothic but couldn't find a good one in my range so bought that instead I then did a search for a 1849 Crown and could not find one did they mint a 1849 Crown as stated I'm a newbie so assumed there would be a Crown for every year ? as you can see my taste are varied what ever catches my eye really, I've included a picture of the Florin if anyone could grade it I'd appreciate it as I have no idea on grades look forward to reading and chatting on the forums :)

post-8694-0-67384500-1425465025_thumb.jp

post-8694-0-84174500-1425465118_thumb.jp

In Victoria's reign there were only crowns minted for circulation in 1844, 1845, 1847 and 1887-1900. There were also proof crowns struck in 1839, 1853, 1887 and 1893.

Hi as the title says I'm a newbie to the forum and coin collecting in general though I have coins from Edward 1st hammered pre decimal coins late modern and a liberty eagle silver dollar I do love silver coins, I like the look of the crowns I have a Victoria 1887 crown, double florin, half crown & shilling I'm looking to get 7 silver coins in that date and proceed down to the next monarch in turn, Just bought a 1849 Godless florin lovely coins couldn't resist I was looking for an 1887 Gothic but couldn't find a good one in my range so bought that instead I then did a search for a 1849 Crown and could not find one did they mint a 1849 Crown as stated I'm a newbie so assumed there would be a Crown for every year ? as you can see my taste are varied what ever catches my eye really, I've included a picture of the Florin if anyone could grade it I'd appreciate it as I have no idea on grades look forward to reading and chatting on the forums :)

Hi Scotsman, and welcome to this great Forum!

Your Godless florin looks to grade around Very Fine (VF), perhaps a little better on the reverse. It also looks as though it has been cleaned in the past (not a good thing!)

yes I was wondering if it had been cleaned Paulus, Thanks for your grade on the coin as I said it was the best coin I could see for my budget I do prefer them uncleaned myself though still nice coin

Notable cleaned coins lose value, you should avoid them if you can. Welcome to the forum

Hi Scotsman

Yes VF. Welcome to the board

You may want to get yourself a copy of the 'Standard Guide for Grading Coins' from this website. It will save you a lot of money. You can buy in hard copy or even cheaper to download to a mobile device.

I wouldn't buy another coin until I had learned the basics of grading if I were you. It will give you confidence. Some of these coins have been waiting for over 100 years for you to buy them. They can be a little more patient while you decide what you want.

Buy the best you can afford. This is really the area to apply the 'less is more principle'. You won't regret it when you or your heirs come to sell.

Kind regards

Mark

Hi Sound your right about learning more hence why I joined the forum hope you guys don't mind the odd stupid question here and there lol I'm reading online at the moment and I will have a look at some books thanks for your feedback

Hi Sound your right about learning more hence why I joined the forum hope you guys don't mind the odd stupid question here and there lol I'm reading online at the moment and I will have a look at some books thanks for your feedback

Just the odd stupid question? Don't hold back because nobody will mind.

Just the odd stupid question? Don't hold back because nobody will mind.

In fact we all love all questions about coins! Bring it on :)

I can recommend Collectors coins GB 1760-1970.

A superb publication.

It lists the late Victorian crowns by edge lettering.

We need to persuade Chris (the owner of this site)to cover all the milled issues. :)

Thanks for the reply's guys hope to get to know everyone and have some good chats

'Stupid questions?'

It would be a very empty forum if we didn't ALL post them more frequently than we should!

Welcome aboard, and bring 'em on! :)

Just out of interest, where are you from? ;)

Yes welcome aboard mate !

This is an excellent forum. Very friendly and heaps of good information. It's my 'coin club', and refuge from the hubbub/hectics of daily life.

Your godless florin is better than mine, which is also cleaned (purchased in my youth) so hopefully we can stay friends when a nice one pops up in an auction somewhere :).

cheers Garrett.

Cheers guys I'm in paisley Coinery for those that don't know it's just outside Glasgow. I'm sure we will stay friends Garret I'll let you know if I spot a good coin mate :ph34r: lol