British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Danelaw

Civil War Pound.

Very nice. Though I'd be happy with just a regular Tower mint shilling in that condition ... there's simply nothing decent about it seems.

:(

Wow.

Be nice to see the obverse, anyone come across that? 52 mm!

That is the OBV Paul

Of course, don't be so picky! The Rev then! :) The side we haven't seen yet!!! lol

Edited by Paulus

Lol. Dukes is on the Saleroom but the catalogue is'nt out yet, just checked ;)

• Like 1

I think that £50K is a case of hype. The obverse has a considerable amount of double striking in obvious places - King's leg, horse's head. That won't help the price.

Its the BBC Rob, what else would you expect

After a second glance, I wouldn't give it house room :)

I can forsee in my crystal ball Geoff Cope having a stab at this, even though it's shite :)

Here are better pictures of the coins obverse

post-8074-0-37550000-1425369622_thumb.jp

and reverse

post-8074-0-36510700-1425369732_thumb.jp

thanks MH !

Looks to be a nice coin and would fit in my collection.

Although I have no idea what a fair price would be, and I sure as hell not going to bother go looking. :)

cheers Garrett.

Does anyone know where this has come from? I don't have a catalogue with it in, or at least not illustrated. Plenty of others though.

How come this is in unlisted varieties? It's Morrieson 1643 A-2 dies and Hawkins type 5, so we're about 170+ years behind the times. I haven't checked Snelling (1762) yet. :huh:

Edited by Rob

Just wondering if it's been mounted. Double struck arm also with some flattening at 8 oclock

I think the 50k valuation by the BBC is OTT or good/free marketing by dukes

Edited by azda

Just wondering if it's been mounted. Double struck arm also with some flattening at 8 oclock

I think the 50k valuation by the BBC is OTT or good/free marketing by dukes

No, don't think so. They mostly have edges like this, and the thought of sticking 120g of silver around your neck on a piece of hairy string wouldn't be very comfortable.

It was bought in "by an old lady who said its has been passed down from generation to generation." Its think it will exceed £30,000 hammer

It was bought in "by an old lady who said its has been passed down from generation to generation." Its think it will exceed £30,000 hammer

Me too. The last one (15 months ago) went for 56 all in, but the portrait wasn't double struck. Most legends have a bit of double striking, but that doesn't detract as much as a d/s portrait.

Edited by Rob

Does anyone know how much the Middleton/Ryan/Bullmore piece sold for off Roddy's last list? Just wondering as this isn't the same as an auction.

• Like 1

Ali G might want it round his neck on a chain innit

Do you do the the catalogue for Dukes Alan?

No but i know the young auctioneer there, and he sent me the pictures when it was consigned a few months back. Its gave me just enough time to re mortgage the house haha