British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
REDD

A Few Early Shillings

Been scanning some stuff in and thought I'd chuck these up for your viewing pleasure.

Not one sided of course... I'd like to know more about them if you can help out :)

All I have on them is they're Charles I and James I Shillings.

The Mounted Charles I had "M M Lowther M" written on the card that came with it.

post-7342-0-88681900-1424287011_thumb.jp

Coin 2

post-7342-0-30582700-1424287186_thumb.jp

and Coin 3

post-7342-0-10186400-1424287232_thumb.jp

That's a Halfcrown, though, not a shilling? Did it say shilling on the flip?

Edit: not the worst I've seen, either! Shame about the grazed AR and couple of scratches! A tiny bit porous too.

Edited by Coinery

All I have to go off is this...

(Written by me in the early 90's)

I did wonder as it's a hefty weight compared to the others

post-7342-0-90644500-1424288627_thumb.jp

All I have to go off is this...

(Written by me in the early 90's)

I did wonder as it's a hefty weight compared to the others

I'm guessing that's M M Lis Tower? Doesn't belong to any of the three you've posted.

Collectable coins, all of them. Have you been collecting long?

Indeed they are Redd ... the half crown should be roughly 2.5 times the weight of the shillings - in those days (in fact for hundreds of years!) the silver content of the coins was relative (if not exactly equal) to their face value

ooh yeah LisTower... Where did I get Lowther from :unsure:

Started collecting anything and everything in the 90's (Coins, stamps, cig cards, phone cards, wade ceramics etc etc)

Family were in the antique trade so it was all around me and I got taken to the Newark fair and various other shows

and of course birthdays and Christmas was always full of collectable goodies.

My collection has been stored in the loft for the past 15 years since I went through and photographed every piece and logged it.

None of the three you've posted are lis mint mark though ... so I'm guessing that ticket belongs to another coin?

First is a halfcrown, mm Tun Quite a decent example.

Number two is a shilling Spink 2799, Michael Sharp's G1/1 Clear triangle over anchor mark on the reverse. G1 reverse (small cross ends) is scarcer than the G2 reverse (large rounded cross ends).

Third is a shilling of James I, mm thistle I think from the bust. But I don't have my Spink to hand at present so someone else will need to confirm that.

Ooh great, Thanks for that Tom

(I earmarked you from another forum as a wealth of knowledge on hammered coins)

As the the lis mint mark... Hmm... I have plenty other hammered coins, but they're all sixpences or below,

apart from this... Eliz 1st (Which is slowly crumbling for some reason :( )

post-7342-0-37392600-1424292519_thumb.jp

As the the lis mint mark... Hmm... I have plenty other hammered coins, but they're all sixpences or below,

apart from this... Eliz 1st (Which is slowly crumbling for some reason :( )

'Tom' does like his hammered shillings, Redd!

The lis is most likely a contemporary counterfeit. There are a couple of lis shillings of Liz that are C'feits, but I can barely even make the bust out on your one.

Such a shame it's so faint... that's an old pic, but a newer one doesn't help any either.

Although if it IS counterfeit, that'll explain why it's crumbling... cheap metal etc

post-7342-0-07975800-1424293941_thumb.jp

Not sure about the wealth of knowledge. But I'm happy to voice an opinion! As for hammered, only really Charles I Tower mint shillings I'm afraid. And most of that I've leant from other people...