British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

fishsticks

Erroneous 10p

Hi,

I recently received in change a 10p coin with some unusual features. I asked about it on another forum but then discovered predecimal.com and thought it would make sense to ask on a UK-specific forum. I don't know much about coins and would be grateful for any information about this one.

Obviously I'd love it if this was an extremely rare and valauble error, but I doubt it and am really just more interested to know a little about what happened to the coin. It looks like ther was a little extra metal in the die when it was struck, but I'm just guessing.

20150217_10pcoinsmall_opt.jpg

I received it in change a while ago and I think the year is 2014 - hard to tell because the final digits of the year haven't impressed properly. I think I can see the beginnings of a "4". There is a small depression where the digits should be, which is directly opposite a large blob of extra metal (slightly raised) on the reverse of the coin, below the lions.

Thanks!

Looks like the die has broken so the metal has filled the void and not the legend lettering. Not worth a lot I'm afraid but more than face value. £2-£4 IMO. Cheers Dan.

Thanks Dan - interesting to know. I have never seen this before, but looking online I can see other similar examples. One (in a 2012 coin) is so incredibly close that I gues the fie must have broken in exactly the same place!

I'd pay a fiver for it anytime!

If you are serious then I am happy to send it to you on the condition that you put a fiver into a charity box when you get it. As a non-collector I don't really have any use for it and would prefer to give it to someone who is interested rather than just put it back into circulation.

• Like 1

Nice one fishsticks. :)

I'd pay a fiver for it anytime!

If you are serious then I am happy to send it to you on the condition that you put a fiver into a charity box when you get it. As a non-collector I don't really have any use for it and would prefer to give it to someone who is interested rather than just put it back into circulation.

Hey, fishsticks, that's very kind, and I'll take you up on your offer!

I'll donate £5 to charity, AND send you a fiver for a bottle of wine! Many thanks for your generosity.

I genuinely don't know a great deal about the decimal coinage, and only gather it as a bit of fun. These oddities do become important to some people, eventually, but it'll unlikely be in your's or my lifetime. However, it's all a bit of fun, and I thank you again.

I'll message you in the morning if that's OK?

Have a good evening,

Stuart

• Like 1

Nice one chaps :)

This is what the forum is about.

I gratefully accept - thanks Stuart for you generous offer!

I presume that I can receive PMs with few posts? If so just PM me your address and I'll pop the coin in the post.