British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
rpeddie

Shipwreck Catalogues

Hi guys and gals

In the past you have been amazing with helping giving information and providing resources :)

A while ago i bought a coin from H.M.S Association and i have been trying for a while now to see what else was in the wreck that was salvaged, if any other good coins existed :)

What i am looking for this time is information on shipwreck salvages, British ones in particular for the moment, basically how do you go about finding what was recovered?

Also there wouldnt be anyone by chance that has access to either of these 2 catalogues or know how to get them in libraries/Fitzwilliam? :)

Sotheby 1969

Sotheby 1970

thanks in advance for all the help you will be giving :)

there probably were good coins in the wreck, given they come up fairly often, and showing that, I see a fair few with the same sticker in hand written pen on the flaps. the problem is the grade they ended up in being in the sea

1026147.jpg

1026717.jpg

usually find shillings from the wreck though, top one is a Norwich

1018277.jpg

this is the best one i managed to find on ebay, Half crown of Charles II, so there is a base for you.

I would imagine there to be some documentation on the number of each denomination found, and having a quick look about the wreck find itself, that was 1967 and it contained Gold as well as silver, even pieces of 8.

so basically anything from sixpences up from any date from milled I would Imagine, as well as trade currency.

Edited by scott
  • Like 1

post-7823-0-87453300-1397134117_thumb.jp

This is the one that i got from an auction, i see what you mean having a glance through google most of them are a bit rough and have lost most their detail.

there any breakdown on how many half crowns, crowns, shillings, and different gold coins that were found at a chance?

What would be the value of that coin, my friend found one on Charlestown Beach in great condition but wants to know an accurate value. She said she was going to get it looked at but I heard nothing since. Anybody know?

Thanks

CoinCollecter