British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
singlemom29

Very Old 1912 Penny

To be honest, there is no such thing as a very old 1912 penny. They are in fact, all the same age...

• Like 1

On 1 May 2017 at 10:37 PM, scott said:

they are all very old

When you say "Very old 1912 penny", you're implying it's older than other 1912 pennies. (Which it might be ... by a few months :lol:)

20 hours ago, Peckris said:

When you say "Very old 1912 penny", you're implying it's older than other 1912 pennies. (Which it might be ... by a few months :lol:)

I suppose "a very old penny dated 1912", might pass grammatical muster :ph34r:

• Like 1

I suspect that it must have been minted on January 1st or 2nd ??

• Like 1

More likely April 1st

• Like 2

Guest Ash

Hello :)

I've sorted through an old box of foreign coins and amongst them are six old penny's. Not in the perfect nick you all seem to be looking for, but one of them has the little H to the left of the date. They date from 1899 to 1912, not sure if they're useful to anyone before I get rid? 

IMG_0123.JPG

They maybe useful to a school for a project but they have no monetary worth.

Stop refering to it as a copper penny as well its made of bronze , and its also worth about melt value , around 15p i would think

On 27/02/2017 at 10:06 AM, Nordle11 said:

Throw it in the bin Georgie in case it gives you contact herpes or something

lol , sound like what prince philip said when he was offered a koala bear to stroke (in case you dont know hes also president  of the wwf )

Guest Ffion

Evening everyone, 

Regarding that excellent example of a penny above... what if the penny looks relatively good (by the standard of someone who knows nothing about them) but it's just.. really dirty. I read somewhere that I should absolutely not wash it though. 

12 minutes ago, Guest Ffion said:

Evening everyone, 

Regarding that excellent example of a penny above... what if the penny looks relatively good (by the standard of someone who knows nothing about them) but it's just.. really dirty. I read somewhere that I should absolutely not wash it though. 

Try soap and water with a soft brush if it is dirt. Don't scrub it or use a hard abrasive of any description and pat dry with a soft towel.

Guest Ffion
22 minutes ago, Rob said:

Try soap and water with a soft brush if it is dirt. Don't scrub it or use a hard abrasive of any description and pat dry with a soft towel.

Sound advice.

If I can give them a gentle wash, would anyone be interested in having a gander at some pictures...? Or are you all sick of being asked that? Lol. They're my grandmother's coins which she thinks she can go out and spend so I've explained that they're not current tender and that I'll take them to the bank to exchange them but obviously the best I can do is try to sell them. The man on the local market told me he'd take the the bronze off my hands but wouldn't pay for them as he has no need for them but he'd consider purchasing other coloured coins (He's yet to see any of them). The whole lot may genuinely not be worth anything. They date from 1907 onwards and there's a mixture of florins, three pennies, half pennies and a few others.  

Thanks for the advice!

1920 to1946 silver is 500 silver & silver coins up to 1919 are 925 silver. Silver coins from 1947 onwards aren't. Scrap bronze or cupro-nickel is effectively worth scrap copper price. If they are in better condition they might be worth more. You'll have to post some images to give us an idea.

• Like 1

Guest Joanne
On 2/3/2015 at 2:21 PM, Nick said:

Condition is everything, Sally. If it is fairly worn, it will be worth very little. For it to be worth more, it would need to be uncirculated (or very nearly so) in which case it could be worth a few 10's of pounds. If it is a Heaton penny (small H to the left of the date), it will be worth more than a standard penny.

If you can post a picture, one of the penny boys will be able to give you a value.

Hi I have 23 one penny coins ranging from 1799 to 1967 do you know if there worth something 

Thank you

13 minutes ago, Guest Joanne said:

Hi I have 23 one penny coins ranging from 1799 to 1967 do you know if there worth something 

Thank you

To be honest Joanne, most coins that were just 'accumulated' (ie picked out of change years ago) aren't worth much at all.  So many were produced that there are still examples of common years that are just as the day they were made and that's the condition collectors really want. 

Of course, without looking it's impossible to say for certain.  But many people seem to find or inherit coins from relatives and unless they were in particularly good condition or actually purchased by a collector most don't have much value.   I have boxes and boxes of coins my Dad collected from change and they are all pretty much worthless I'm sorry to say.  :(

I would say yes - its not a melt coin but collectable

Its also worth £20 or less so dont start planning retirement just yet

Edited by copper123

Guest Claire
On 27/02/2017 at 10:03 AM, Guest Guest Georgie said:

Hi here's the pic 

1488276057076-675341766.jpg

1488276057076-675341766.jpg

Less than £1, I would say.  Keep it if you like it, but it doesn't have much commercial value.

Guest Alex
On 28/02/2017 at 10:06 AM, Nordle11 said:

Throw it in the bin Georgie in case it gives you contact herpes or something

Guest mastercoincollector

Hi, It is worth around 27,822.86 pence. In Canada that would be around 500 dollars.

On 04/02/2015 at 2:38 PM, jacinbox said:

Agree with Nick

If your coin is uncirculated (full mint shine and clear details without any scratches or blemishes) then it maybe worth upto £ 35. For worn coins the price offered could be less than £ 1.

However there are some 1912 variants that are scarce

The 1912 H penny in uncirculated can be worth £ 130.

The 1912 2 on 1 can be worth a lot more.

A photo could help

2 over 1? 

What book is this listed in?

My 20th century lists need updating!