British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
jacinbox

1874 HPenny

Doubled 4!!! Does anyone have a good pic of this type please?

Are we talking an 1874H penny, or an 1874 H'penny? Your title is misleading!

Just out of interest, was this an LC purchase? It's a lovely coin, but It's been very much contrasted out (if that's the right term) on the reverse right field! Only of relevance if it's an LC coin and we are maybe beginning to see a photographic bias on their part?

Yet another conspiracy! :rolleyes:

Just out of interest, was this an LC purchase? It's a lovely coin, but It's been very much contrasted out (if that's the right term) on the reverse right field! Only of relevance if it's an LC coin and we are maybe beginning to see a photographic bias on their part?

Yet another conspiracy! :rolleyes:

Some of their earlier photos are pretty dire (is that an oxymoron?) ... and is that a fingerprint in the reverse right field?

It certainly has a high CGS grade and corresponding value:

1874_1P_H_Summary_zps00105375.png

i have a nice one although its graded c.g.s. 18036 penny

Lovely coin

Pete's 1874 H Penny

1874_1P_H_1000x500_zpse2593fa5.png

Oh that thumbprint on the REV :(

Doubled 4!!! Does anyone have a good pic of this type please?

This has a suggestion of a doubled 4 and a broken 7, sadly horrid grade

1874%20h.jpg

Hi yes on the photos appears to be a fingerprint but wont lose any sleep .The photograph i feel does not do justice as looks spot on.

Sorry to go off track but i have another penny and the c.g.s picture is not the best.That also has a fingerprint on but doubt you will ever see a better one.

Its not scarce but really nice coin.

c.g.s.31744

Pete

Nice coin Pete.

I realize I must up my game.

Pete's 1874 H Penny

1874_1P_H_1000x500_zpse2593fa5.png

Oh that thumbprint on the REV :(
Is it me or does the sea seem To change under the lighthouse and looks different under the shield etc? Its like there's a cutout under the lighthouse Edited by azda

Sorry to go off track but i have another penny and the c.g.s picture is not the best.That also has a fingerprint on but doubt you will ever see a better one.

c.g.s.31744

Pete

Pete's 1841 penny:

1841_1P_1000x500_zpsb3cfbbf1.png

1841_1P_Summary_zps8bf6d6ee.png

c.g.s.31744

Pete

Pete's 1841 penny:

1841_1P_1000x500_zpsb3cfbbf1.png

1841_1P_Summary_zps8bf6d6ee.png

Its interesting to see the price Difference in Spink and the new CCGB book for this coin compared to what CGS are saying, but i thought CGS were a GRADING company, so where does their valuation come from. In UNC SPINK has £500 and CCGB £200 compared to a Grading companies £600 Edited by azda

Its interesting to see the price Difference in Spink and the new CCGB book for this coin compared to what CGS are saying, but i thought CGS were a GRADING company, so where does their valuation come from. In UNC SPINK has £500 and CCGB £200 compared to a Grading companies £600

Dont forget that CCGB gives prices for both UNC and BU separated by a /

There i's no BU price for this Peck, Tony Claytons site also has it at £500, so maybe Chris has this One a bit out?

Edited by azda

There i's no BU price for this Peck, Tony Claytons site also has it at £500, so maybe Chris has this One a bit out?

That would explain it Dave - Spink prices are for BU specimens. I'd estimate CCGB would probably give BU as around £400?

Think the other thing to note.

Its not the best picture and cgs to grade a copper penny at 85 the price goes as to what someone will pay.

They are scarce in this grade as your aware.

Pete.

CGS are generating their own pricing structure as have the main 3 TPG's in the US.

I ordered CCGB 2015 and Coin news pricing book.

Nice one Prax and Pete so we have the double 4 type in both large and small date coins.