British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Rob

Goldbergs Auctions problems

Does anyone else have problems accessing the Goldbergs site in order to participate in live bidding?

For over a year now I always get the message cannot find the server at www.goldbergcoins.com, this despite them repeatedly sending me emails with links (allegedly) to their site and the auctions. Although there hasn't been a great deal of interest in their sales of late, it seems a bit off that their website doesn't work any more. This must be costing them a lot in lost bids. According to their catalogue the sale is also listed on the Saleroom (can't find it) and Sixbid (can see the catalogue there, but it won't do live bidding - only commission bids).

I was going to email them, but if I can't find www.goldbergcoins.com, then I am unlikely to successfully send an email to info@ this unavailable site either. A phonecall would negate any potential profit on the single item I was going to bid on. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Yours

Miffed of Manchester

If they are listed with the salesroom just type the salesroom in google and its the first site listed

Rob I just clicked on it and the auction popped straight up no problems

????? Colin. Think Rob needs to get rid of that mouse that turns the wheels of his computer

Does anyone else have problems accessing the Goldbergs site in order to participate in live bidding?

For over a year now I always get the message cannot find the server at www.goldbergcoins.com, this despite them repeatedly sending me emails with links (allegedly) to their site and the auctions. Although there hasn't been a great deal of interest in their sales of late, it seems a bit off that their website doesn't work any more. This must be costing them a lot in lost bids. According to their catalogue the sale is also listed on the Saleroom (can't find it) and Sixbid (can see the catalogue there, but it won't do live bidding - only commission bids).

I was going to email them, but if I can't find www.goldbergcoins.com, then I am unlikely to successfully send an email to info@ this unavailable site either. A phonecall would negate any potential profit on the single item I was going to bid on. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Yours

Miffed of Manchester

Rob,

Try www.sixbid.com

That should take you there.

I'm watching it on me phone :D

Nope, that gives the same message as all the other links to goldbergs I have tried, i.e. can't find the server.

Yours

Miffed of Manchester

Rob,

Try www.sixbid.com

That should take you there.

Sixbid did show the sale as the top item on the auction list, but using the link at the top of the page to Goldbergs just gives the default response of can't find the server. You can't bid live on Sixbid.

I fired off an email to Goldbergs not expecting an answer because I assumed the website would not be found, yet they received the email and replied. Not too helpful because they assumed I was unable to log in. I would dearly like to be in that sub-optimal position.

I suppose the question is how can a website recognise you are emailing, yet hide away if you try to access it? Is there anything I could do at this end to help the Goldberg site recognise me?

Edited by Rob

Rob, i'm on my phone and its running for me with the link i gave you above. It must be something on your computer thats blocking it

I fired off an email to Goldbergs not expecting an answer because I assumed the website would not be found, yet they received the email and replied. Not too helpful because they assumed I was unable to log in. I would dearly like to be in that sub-optimal position.

I suppose the question is how can a website recognise you are emailing, yet hide away if you try to access it? Is there anything I could do at this end to help the Goldberg site recognise me?

What IP address does your computer think is www.goldbergcoins.com? Run a command prompt (cmd.exe) and type 'ping www.goldbergcoins.com' (without quotes). My DNS gives me 209.222.0.237.

What IP address does your computer think is www.goldbergcoins.com? Run a command prompt (cmd.exe) and type 'ping www.goldbergcoins.com' (without quotes). My DNS gives me 209.222.0.237.

That doesn't work. Just says it can't find it in different colours. :(

Sorry, the website cmd.exe cannot be found.

That doesn't work. Just says it can't find it in different colours. :(

Sorry, the website cmd.exe cannot be found.

You need to run cmd.exe on your computer, not your browser. Use Windows key and r at the same time, type cmd.exe in the dialog box.

British lots about to start

Ping request could not find host www.goldbergcoins.com. Please check the name and try again.

Try turning off your ad blocker

Ping request could not find host www.goldbergcoins.com. Please check the name and try again.

Which means that the DNS lookup failed. The DNS server is provided by your ISP to translate names into IP addresses. Therefore it sounds like an IT issue at your ISP.

Try turning off your ad blocker

Not that

Which means that the DNS lookup failed. The DNS server is provided by your ISP to translate names into IP addresses. Therefore it sounds like an IT issue at your ISP.

Ok, ta. I doubt they will do anything other than check the line and say it's working ok though. This internet is p'ing me off a bit. It keeps stopping for a few minutes every hour or so and then restarts of its own accord - really frustrating. This can't be the same problem though as other websites work ok, such as this forum.

I can't find any figures for what constitutes acceptable net down-time. If it was mine and not BT's, I'd say it is crap.

Edited by Rob

You can test the DNS lookup. Run cmd.exe and type nslookup. Then type the website you want the address for and see what returns. I get the following:

C:\Users>nslookup
> www.goldbergcoins.com
Server: SkyRouter.Home
Address: 192.168.0.1
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: goldbergcoins.com
Address: 209.222.0.237
Aliases: www.goldbergcoins.com
>

Server: BThomehub.home

Address: 192.168.1.254

DNS request timed out.

timeout was 2 seconds.

Same again

*** Request to BThomehub.home timed-out.

If that makes sense.

Might be worth you contacting your ISP to see if there is a problem with their DNS server.

ok. though it has been like this for a year or more, which seems a bit long for someone else not to flag up the same problem. I can't be the only person using their server. I'll try to find someone in the morning. Thanks.

I would suggest contacting your isp and provide them with the details....

try logging in somewhere else with a different isp and see if you can connect then....

I had the same issue with DNW several

years ago... worked with one isp but not another.... they needed to correct the problem.... also let Goldbergs IT dept know and ask them to contact your isp also...

I sometimes hava a similar problem with various sites and It turned out to be a Firefox thing. To fix it I press the 3 lines button in the right top corner, selected options, advanced, Network, settings and selected No proxy. For some reason Fixfox a few months ago automatically started using system proxy settings.