British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Richard2

Grade and value of this Charles I Shilling

Hi, A good friend of mine has asked me to sell some of his metal detecting finds for him as he's short of cash.

Could you give me your opinions on this Shilling as to grade and possible value .

Thanks in advance ,Richard

post-4067-0-06745500-1422466198_thumb.jp

Here's the Reverse

post-4067-0-45400400-1422466323_thumb.jp

The photos aren't the greatest but I'd say nVF/VF. Value? Based on these pics, I'd expect to to go for between £50 and £80 on eBay. Good photos will help. Maybe try a Buy It Now at around £80 with 'make me an offer' and see how it goes?

The current Spink would suggest more, but that would be if it were on a fuller rounder flan. They aren't too difficult to find I'm afraid.

Spink 2797, Sharp F5/1 Tower issue 1639-40

Hope that helps.

Thanks Tom, Did you notice the bungled spelling of CHRISTO on the reverse , would that have any effect on value?

Richard (that's Tom's real name, Richard2) is an undoubted expert on Charles I Tower shillings on here. I expect him to confirm that the 'bungled' spelling is just a double struck H, the kind of thing that occurs on very many of these coins, and is unlikely to have much affect on value.

Edited by Paulus

Thanks Paulus , and sorry Richard

Richard (that's Tom's real name Richard2) is an undoubted expert on Charles I Tower shillings on here. I expect him to confirm that the 'bungled' spelling is just a doubled H, the kind of thing that occurs on very many of these coins, and is unlikely to have much affect on value.

Yes. I'm afraid that double striking (where the flan moves a bit between hammer blows) is common enough with hammered coinage as each coin is individually struck.

On this example you can also see signs in the right hand arm of the cross and first quarter (with the Scottish lion) that this is what has happened here. While double strikes, providing they aren't too dramatic, are acceptable to many collectors, I don't know anyone that would pay more for them.

This is different from when the die itself has been incorrectly made (mis-spellings, letter transpositions or even details such as the mark of value upside down have been found!) Some collectors like such errors, particularly if they are recognised in a major collection or as varieties in a coin price guide.

Richard (that's Tom's real name, Richard2) is an undoubted expert on Charles I Tower shillings on here.

But there are of course more expert experts than me by far out there! :)