British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
goomolique

Cleaned 1887 crown.

Just to note in the future that the seller says no returns accepted and allowed you to make your own decision on grade.Good luck

Just to note in the future that the seller says no returns accepted and allowed you to make your own decision on grade.Good luck

Just because a seller decides that returns are not accepted, it doesn't mean that the buyer cannot return the item. If the item is not as described then eBay will side with the buyer and the seller can like it or lump it.

Judging grade from photos is one thing, a coin having been cleaned is another. If cleaning isn't apparent in the photos (which is the case here ) then I think you have a legitimate complaint as the item wasn't accurately described.

Also: whether a seller does or doesn't offer refunds is irrelevant. As a buyer of anything, anywhere, you have the right to request a refund if not satisfied.

Right. Actually i havent opened a case yet (i thought i did) but contacted him again through ebay.

He is sure the coin is fine and suggested 3 options.

1 open a case via ebay

2 relist it yourself

3 submit it to an independent 3rd party recognised coin grading company ie [ cgs uk ] if they refuse to encapsulate it due to it being cleaned etc then i will be more than happy to give you a full refund including the submission fee

I reckon its fair to take option 3.

What do you think?

Will the seller be refunding the CGS submission cost (post, etc.) if it is returned unslabbed?

Right. Actually i havent opened a case yet (i thought i did) but contacted him again through ebay.

He is sure the coin is fine and suggested 3 options.

1 open a case via ebay

2 relist it yourself

3 submit it to an independent 3rd party recognised coin grading company ie [ cgs uk ] if they refuse to encapsulate it due to it being cleaned etc then i will be more than happy to give you a full refund including the submission fee

I reckon its fair to take option 3.

What do you think?

His pictures look so much better than your's, in terms of how the coin looks!

Is there a local coin club or dealer near you that could take an in-hand look at it?

Not sure about coin club (im in W/NW London).

Couple of dealers i visited in the past were not helpfull to say the least.

Just tell him your not happy and send it back.Tell him to come on the forum ,if he is honest will accept the return

That's what I'd do to be honest!

It's unfortunately had a mixed and limited response re the 'clean' and retone on here, so you really have to take stock and review the coin using your own judgement (or get someone else to look at it in-hand).

What do you truly think about the surface?

Send it to CGS

Lots of parallel scratches on the field only.

None on the bust or George and the dragon.

Looks like field was rubbedwith something.

I wonder, with CGS taking 9 weeks to process a coin (Paulus recently), how you'd then stand re opening a case against a seller?

I wonder, with CGS taking 9 weeks to process a coin (Paulus recently), how you'd then stand re opening a case against a seller?

Exactly. Thats my main concern.

I wouldn't trust CGS with anything. See posting CGS 1912 Florin UIN 0032905

goomlique .

Personally i would only buy from reputable dealers or alternative coins you can see in hand,such as coin fairs etc. Lots of coins on Ebay and in my opinion lots of garbage.

Make your bid and win some and lose some.

Pete

Going back to the origin of the topic a photo taken by the buyer would be helpful to judge the extent of the issue.

Going back to the origin of the topic a photo taken by the buyer would be helpful to judge the extent of the issue.

He did take his own images, they can be found in the 'coin acquisition' thread.

Thanks for the info. However including the pictures in this thread would be useful