British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

As long as the missing arc is the same radius as the coin in question it is likely to be genuine.

looks genuine

Looks real to me too - I think fishtailing near the clip is a characteristic of genuine clips and N and E of NEW certainly have fishtailing.

Indeed, as does the beading.

This and Rob's methods of checking should oust any fake you have!

Not a lot of value I would think. I got a bunch of these in diff. denoms and some with multi-clips that I got in a lot. Bleh...

Personally, I don't like the curve on the cut. It doesn't look even to me, and it tends to curve inwards again slightly at both ends.

T have an 1869 clipped penny.Clear date only.Was clipping common in those days?

T have an 1869 clipped penny.Clear date only.Was clipping common in those days?

It can happen at any time on any denomination. They occur when the sheet of bronze used for making blanks is insufficiently displaced in whatever direction to clear a previously punched section of the sheet by the blank cutting tool.

Dave, I think that may be a bit of an optical illusion in that the edge or "rim" portion that is clipped makes it appear to reverse clip curvature.

Personally i don't see what the fuss is about, i'd be throwing it in the skip

• Like 1

looks good to me, most of the time the rim of the coin narrows to the edge of the clip as can be seen on the reverse the best on this coin. Most manufactured ones have a full squared edge to the rims. Quite often too, on the opposite side from the clip it can show a slight weakness to the strike of the rim (I don't know why, but if anyone has an answer to whay that is I'd be interested to know.).

Because of the sheer volume of 1971 bronze that was minted, this is the most common date to find with clips.

There is actually a 1971 unopened roll of 1/2pences on eBay just now for sale with the clipped coin half way down the roll http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-ROYAL-MINT-ERROR-CLIPPED-PLANCHET-SEALED-IN-HALF-PENNY-ROLL-/201267361982?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item2edc7838be

Dave, I think that may be a bit of an optical illusion in that the edge or "rim" portion that is clipped makes it appear to reverse clip curvature.

You may be right - I'm just going by the angle and the apparent shape. In hand is the only way to say.

Thanks all.

The new 2p error aside there aren't many interesting brass / bronze coins post 1970 so I'm on the lookout for errors.

A nice brockage, off-metal strikes, small flan strikes and finally mis-struck flans such as these.

The clipped flan is interesting enough but weighing it all up I don't think £30 for a 1971 2p is remotely sane unless a brockage, could do 3 figures for one of those. £75 for the roll of 2ps is optimistic! Don't mind paying a bit extra for something interesting though.

Edited by damian1986

For some reason I like the off metal strikes like the 10p struck on a 2p planchet & such...