British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

hazelman

Using acetone to clean coins

Although I have all the prerequisites IMO such as a M.S. Chemistry, 15 years+ in industrial cleaners with some product development, 40 years in Numismatics and a world authority on U.S. Colonials - particularly in copper coinage (i.e., New Jersey Coppers), etc. ... I agree ... its a waste of time in this debate with 99.99% of collectors but I interject occasionally for my own amusement.

Be that as it may ...

However, knowing the sensitivity of copper and knowing the general make-up of the best copper cleaner ever invented (i.e, original Coin Care and its secret ingredient Freon TF) I have surpassed this mixture (I believe) with my new product. I sent a bottle FREE to Paulus ... however ...  I believe what happens is due to the sensitivity of copper the product if you will has to have a neutral pH (i.e., 7.0) and its a solvent emulsion type cleaner which of course by its nature is superior to any raw solvent like xylol, olive oil (yes - crude mixture) and acetone and other stand alone solvents.

I currently work in the Military business and recently Freon TF (December, 2013) was banned by the USEPA for the remaining few businesses which were allowed to use it - it was banned 20 years ago for U.S. non-industrial manufacturing consumers due of course of Freon TF to its ozone effect in the atmosphere. We (current company) needed to come up with a substitute MIXTURE to effectively clean soft metal alloy parts similar in capability to Freon TF for military aircraft.

So what most persons using my product have said it works great but I wish it was stronger. But you see the issue - it was made strong enough as not to damage the cartwheel effect on a choice UNC copper alloy coin hence its great ability on superficial green oxides on all metals including sensitive copper.

I do understand one needs to be careful in moving soils around on the surface of the coin - I do understand that most people will not appreciate the limitations of a product strictly made for a copper surface - so I really advertise this or give this to seasoned collectors who want to gamble. Hence my $25/bottle tag.

My product has passed PCGS/NGC inspection so to speak ...

Talk to Paulis ...

JPL

Edited by colonialjohn

I have used a product called Verdi-care for spot treating, and debris removal on circulated coins, and it just did not work, as stated in the write up by the seller.

• Like 1

Verdi-Care is just a protectorant. A type of oxidation preventative type sealant product with minimal cleaning capabilities.

Its useful therefore in a post-cleaning operation to prevent further oxidation build-up due to chlorine and sulfur intrusion ...

JPL

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, colonialjohn said:

Verdi-Care is just a protectorant. A type of oxidation preventative type sealant product with minimal cleaning capabilities.

Its useful therefore in a post-cleaning operation to prevent further oxidation build-up due to chlorine and sulfur intrusion ...

JPL

The instructions I have, that came with the product, says it is a debris remover for circulated coins!

IMG_7608.JPG

... which is why I sent a FREE bottle to Paulis ... a noted top numismatist in the U.K. and on this forum channel and in this post thread. He is my U.K. reference point ... consult with him first privately ... then decide. I have cleaned >$1,000 U.S. copper coins with my product. I understand your FEAR and HESITATION and DOUBT.

$45 is a lot ... but if you have that medal or coin and feel this product is worth a gamble ...

I invented this product indirectly through company knowledge and for my own needs. I have only sold around 40 bottles.

JPL

I do not have any fear, hesitation, or doubt...but I have used this product personally, and for me, it doesn't work as advertised! That is my only point. btw...I must have bought one of your 40 bottles. :rolleyes:

A good U.S. reference I use on a frequent basis when someone in the U.S. is interested since you are from Indianapolis, Indiana is Julia Purdy who is Chullie which is her E-Bay ID. As you may know she sells a lot of low end copper both U.S./U.K./World and enjoys the product but did state on that red or orange DEEP verdigris I guess John I was asking too much of your product. LOL. Yes you were ...

Talk to her if you wish being from the U.S. on the product's pro's & con's.

The product was made as strong as possible and yet not to impart any residue, no water rinsing necessary or IMPACT to the copper's cartwheel effect on UNC red copper coins - AT ALL ... so this is the comment I usually get relating to its limitation. But if the copper oxidation is not advanced and deep and is superficial ... then IMO its worth a try.

Start with Red Lincoln Cents and work your way up ... and remember for large amounts of green verdigris use multiple cleaning Q-Tips (I recommend Johnson & Johnson Safety Swabs for infants) to avoid imparting surface hairlines under a jewelers loop.

If you actually tried the product thanks for your faith in me and hope it solves some of your cleaning woes with copper.

JPL

Hi everyone,

I'm new so bear with me if my question has already been asked/answered ok?

I inherited a circulated collection of Swedish Ore coins from my Grandfather which was not stored in anything but an old wooden cigar box. I'm not an expert on grading but we are probably talking F to VF at most and dates are 1883 - 1920 so each has silver content. Naturally each coin has tarnished to different degrees which is ok right? That's normal for an aged circulated coin yeah?

My question is about the use of acetone on circulated coins to give them a clean before storage in Hartberger self-adhesive flips.

I bought some 97% grade acetone (Lab tech standard) and submerged my first 1883 25 Ore coin in a glass dish for about 30 secs.

When I took the coin out to let it air dry it definitely looked slightly cleaner, but have to admit that I think it affected the patina as there are uneven patches of dark and shine on the coin.

Is that a problem for an old circulated coin?

Do collectors of circulated coins prefer a coin with old dirt and grime on?

Am I wasting my time with the acetone treatment for preservation purposes and just house the coins straight into Hartbergers instead?

The photos uploaded are after acetone bath.

I welcome all your expert opinions please!

All the best,

Wayne

DSC05896.JPG

DSC05897.JPG

Edited by Weaver

Don't think I'd bother with the lower grade bits if there is not adherent surface contamination. You'll not make proofs out of VGs! LOL!

These coins show nice original patina. No need to clean. Cleaning is normally use to remove green oxidation off of copper alloy coins. When you sell coin experts (for lack of a better term) can spot brushed coins. Coin cleaning on these low grade coins can also create a situation where you are just brushing dirt particles in/around the surface of the coin creating hairlines. Leave it alone ...

John Lorenzo

Numismatist

United States

34 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Don't think I'd bother with the lower grade bits if there is not adherent surface contamination. You'll not make proofs out of VGs! LOL!

Thanks VickySilver,

I realise I have got two threads running on the same topic. Rookie mistake! Apologies.

Out of interest then VS, would you grade that coin as VG? I was hoping for F

Edited by Weaver

28 minutes ago, colonialjohn said:

These coins show nice original patina. No need to clean. Cleaning is normally use to remove green oxidation off of copper alloy coins. When you sell coin experts (for lack of a better term) can spot brushed coins. Coin cleaning on these low grade coins can also create a situation where you are just brushing dirt particles in/around the surface of the coin creating hairlines. Leave it alone ...

John Lorenzo

Numismatist

United States

Thanks John,

I have been reading many of your posts and very much appreciate your opinion as of everyone here.

I think I will leave the rest of the collection alone with the original patina.

All the best,

Wayne

Don't really know the series but don't like the flatness on crown...Might still go F tho.

Thanks VS, that particular coin is probably the most worn of the collection, hence the first recruit for acetone bathing.

Guest guest
On 12/22/2015 at 2:24 AM, Paulus said:

For no other reason than I have to share it somehow, someone (who shall remain nameless) on a coin collecting Facebook Group (to which some of us belong) has just recommended cleaning coins with ... Cillit Bang ..............

I've never tried it, maybe that's the answer?!! :o

I have used cillit-bang on some of my modern milled coins just to enhance eye appeal. I found it great for removing grime and dirt also in restoring lustre to some of the coins, it does not destroy the coin in anyway and is a scratch free cleaner. Just give it a try on a sixties cupro-nical coin and see for yourself.

I have never used it on pennies or farthings.

2 hours ago, Guest guest said:

I have used cillit-bang on some of my modern milled coins just to enhance eye appeal. I found it great for removing grime and dirt also in restoring lustre to some of the coins, it does not destroy the coin in anyway and is a scratch free cleaner. Just give it a try on a sixties cupro-nical coin and see for yourself.

I have never used it on pennies or farthings.

Original lustre? That's not possible. It's not a coating after all. Once gone, you can't restore it.

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Original lustre? That's not possible. It's not a coating after all. Once gone, you can't restore it.

Bang, and the value is gone ;) 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Bang, and the value is gone ;) 

So much for the BIG BANG theory then🤣

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2018 at 2:18 AM, UPINSMOKE said:

So much for the BIG BANG theory then🤣

Indeed. To be honest, Mick, I'm struggling to comprehend why anyone would use that stuff on their coins. It contains sulfamic acid and phosphoric acid. 

I'd imagine it would do more than just get rid of the dirt. 

Apparently, In August 2009, it was revealed that household cleaners such as Cillit Bang and Mr. Muscle have been used to clean plutonium stains at the defunct Dounreay nuclear power station in Caithness.

• Haha 2

Nothing surprises me anymore .A bit off topic but it just came back into my mind when i read this. 

Years ago i had a mate who i hung round with. We'd been out on the lash and i crashed at his on the sofa. 

I got up in the morning and he was gargling over the sink with Flash multi purpose cleaner. I was like are you seriously gargling with that he was like yeah i always do it mate it clears all the little gremlins out your mouth that you get when you've been on the lash. 

Needless to say we called him Flash from that day on. Life is strange indeed. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Nothing surprises me anymore .A bit off topic but it just came back into my mind when i read this. 

Years ago i had a mate who i hung round with. We'd been out on the lash and i crashed at his on the sofa. 

I got up in the morning and he was gargling over the sink with Flash multi purpose cleaner. I was like are you seriously gargling with that he was like yeah i always do it mate it clears all the little gremlins out your mouth that you get when you've been on the lash. 

Needless to say we called him Flash from that day on. Life is strange indeed. 

Extraordinary. Takes all sorts I suppose.  

Edited by 1949threepence

It does indeed. On thinking back now his teeth were awful and he was always back n forth the dentist. Can't imagine the damage it must of done to his enamel. 

I have decided to give acetone a go. It's quite a nice George V halfcrown but the dirty mark on the cheek has been seriously irritating me. The result is quite good. There is only a trace of the mark left now which is much less distracting than before. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 11:18 PM, Ukstu said:

It does indeed. On thinking back now his teeth were awful and he was always back n forth the dentist. Can't imagine the damage it must of done to his enamel. 

Id forgotten about your mate Flash but your account of him did stay with me for quite a while when I first read it.

On 2/9/2016 at 6:27 PM, jelida said:

In this discussion, Pete, I would refer back to a post I made on the previous page, and comment that acetone is purely a solvent, a decontaminant, in this instance. Unless applied with undue abrasion, neither the coin nor its patina or lustre is affected, merely surface contaminants removed, reducing the liklihood of future corrosion.  The term 'cleaned' should not be equated with 'damaged'  in this context,  it is simply that a 'dirty' coin is no longer 'dirty'. 

Jerry

I have never ruined a coin by cleaning with acetone , nor have ever seen a ruined cleaned in acetone coin