British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Kerakae

Removing coins from souvenir packaging

Hi all,

Just started collecting British coins. I bought a couple recently...Waterloo £5 and First World War £20. I house the coins I've collected in a Schulz album, as I like to be able to view both sides. I'd like to remove the coins I've bought from the commemorative packaging and put them in the folder; what is the advice on this? Is it a big no-no in the numismatic world or is it my choice? Not really collecting for the packaging and it's certainly quite a tactile hobby for me.

Kerakae

It's a big no-no to get mucky fingerprints all over them. I appreciate you may wish to handle things, but you have to decide whether they are to play with or to collect, keeping them in the best possible state of preservation whilst you are the custodian. i.e. you don't want to do something that will damage the coin beyond its condition when acquired. If you just want something to play with, buy cheaper, low-grade pieces. Again, if you want to regularly handle them you could put them into plastic capsules or 2x2 flips.

Sorry, don't know what a Schulz album is.

I think the Schulz albums are the PVC sleeves with square pockets for coins? The problem with these is that the coins will rub against the plastic and PVC is going to damage them over time. Unless you put them into a 2x2 first and then slot that into the folder.

In terms of actually cracking them out of the packaging, not a big deal at all! I keep hold of the boxes if they come in one but the coin itself gets taken out.

I think it's your choice. Here in Australia at least plenty of people buy coins removed from packing, plenty buy coins still in the packaging.

That said, collector coins I think would tend to sell for less if not in their original packing.

This is the problem with these immaculate mirror finishes on modern coins. Even one FRESH fingerprint will be nigh impossible to remove without leaving something you will be able to see under artificial light.

I like to at least be able to decontaminate my coins before sealing them up, so a precision field would not be for me (unless bought as new), as much as they have wow-factor.

I like to be able to gently 'clean' the surfaces of my coins with acetone and a cotton bud, which you can do on everything bar proofs! I'd still sit a proof in a bath of acetone, but would'nt attempt anything else. Point being, if you are going to take it out, don't touch it whatever you do! ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's always encouraging to get replys after your first post. This is what I house my coins in http://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACK-SCHULZ-inserts-coins-divider/dp/B003AJKGES

I don't think they're PVC pages as the pages a quite rigid, whereas the PVC kind are flexible; I was under the impression that no albums specifically made for coins use PVC anymore.

With regards to getting the coins out, I think I might go for it. It's not necessarily about them holding their value for me...if they were worth a great deal I would leave them, but I can't see their value going up dramatically. Maybe for whoever I hand the collection to upon my demise they will go up in price, but they can deal with my follies when I'm gone!

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's always encouraging to get replys after your first post. This is what I house my coins in http://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACK-SCHULZ-inserts-coins-divider/dp/B003AJKGES

I don't think they're PVC pages as the pages a quite rigid, whereas the PVC kind are flexible; I was under the impression that no albums specifically made for coins use PVC anymore.

With regards to getting the coins out, I think I might go for it. It's not necessarily about them holding their value for me...if they were worth a great deal I would leave them, but I can't see their value going up dramatically. Maybe for whoever I hand the collection to upon my demise they will go up in price, but they can deal with my follies when I'm gone!

I don't know about albums but some packets are. I was stung when I bought 300 or so PVC flips from eBay, not described as PVC though. Vergedis grew and some green slime appeared - not that bad but a notable difference. I quickly evacuated the coins and binned the packets!

I think the 2x2 flips are a better bet for coins,also trays that can stack, will be a safer bet to store your coins in.

I have used the albums and it is really easy to ding a larger coin when flicking through the album,(the "I did that goes through year head every time you look at it")-- not to dear and this site can supply your needs.

I have seen coins with hairlines where they have been removed out and in from flips,one small piece of dirt will make the same mark in the same area over and over.

I have seen coins with hairlines where they have been removed out and in from flips,one small piece of dirt will make the same mark in the same area over and over.

I have to say, I've never observed this, yet, but I am extremely particular about 'decontaminating' and 'flipping' my coins!

To be fair, however, it's true that anything bigger than an HC is unsuited to 2x2's and folders, though I do have a couple of crowns in mine!

I would definitely source some good thick card dividers, regardless of the coins!

2x2 crown-sized flips have so little card remaining at the edge, and are generally under such tension, that they often unknowingly/knowingly split along the edge of the plastic window, which risks uneven tonal changes!

I think I'd look for another alternative if I was thinking of acquiring crowns on a regular basis?

I have to say, I've never observed this, yet, but I am extremely particular about 'decontaminating' and 'flipping' my coins!

To be fair, however, it's true that anything bigger than an HC is unsuited to 2x2's and folders, though I do have a couple of crowns in mine!

I would definitely source some good thick card dividers, regardless of the coins!

2x2 crown-sized flips have so little card remaining at the edge, and are generally under such tension, that they often unknowingly/knowingly split along the edge of the plastic window, which risks uneven tonal changes!

I think I'd look for another alternative if I was thinking of acquiring crowns on a regular basis?

I use the Hartberger size 43 for Crowns which are bigger than the normal 2x2.I did try the crown 2x2 however as you have said a very small edge to hold them together.The trays fit 12 coins so not a bad display.

You can also get the pages to hold them however the thick card dividers would be the most important part of the set up.