British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

You should block out your name and adress on there Richard, I wouldn't trust the internet with it :(

Great provenance for the coin though, thanks for sharing.

Edited by Nordle11
  • Like 1

Thanks Matt

I should have thought of that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too late now I guess.

R

Thanks Matt

I should have thought of that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too late now I guess.

R

Fortunately I have moved since then - Phew

Ah, no harm no foul :)

Edited by Nordle11

I like how it was too late until you realised you no longer live there :D

Delete your adress richard.

How ?

Edit the post, look to the right of the attachment and there is a 'delete' button.

Then just upload another.

EDIT: You need 'use full editor' to do it.

Edited by Nordle11

Delete your adress richard.

How ?

Edit the post, look to the right of the attachment and there is a 'delete' button.

Then just upload another.

EDIT: You need 'use full editor' to do it.

What is full editor ?

It's just the button that takes you to the screen you get that allows you to upload pictures as an attachment. One sec I'll screenshot it

First click edit and you'll see the first picture I've attached underneath the textbox.

Then click the use full editor button and you can then delete your attachments (2nd pic)

post-8244-0-78075000-1450361596_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-84264800-1450361597_thumb.jp

Edited by Nordle11

Try this for size.

1. Click edit here in the thread

2. then click full editor

3. then delete the attachments

post-8244-0-35309000-1450362058_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-39413100-1450362059_thumb.jp

post-8244-0-07858300-1450362061_thumb.jp

No you're OK, I think it is a site access thing because I know that Brian (bhx7) has the same problem with not being able to edit. I'd ask Tom to edit it as Pete says, then ask him to give you access too :D

• Like 1

No you're OK, I think it is a site access thing because I know that Brian (bhx7) has the same problem with not being able to edit. I'd ask Tom to edit it as Pete says, then ask him to give you access too :D

Th edit function is time sensitive so has likely disappeared

• Like 1

I've deleted the attachment with the address. You may want to censor that part and re-attach.

Yes, VIP sets are issued in very small numbers indeed and entirely separate from regular proof sets (though presumably indistinguishable under normal circumstances, e.g. 1937, 1950, 1951, except for case of issue).

We should assume that F244 was not ONLY from a VIP set (though may have been in them?) but was a trial striking : maybe it was originally intended for issue, but then rejected, and therefore like F243A should be regarded as a pattern.

As F244 is (now) a pattern mule, I would have thought it likely that BP 1953 L is also a pattern.

It may be that F244 / BP 1953 L (is there any difference between them??) was intended for currency and therefore struck as proofs for the VIP set. Later it was decided that a further change was desirable and therefore the beaded reverse appeared, and was included in the regular proof and specimen sets.

I would guess that BP 1953 N was experimental - i.e. a true pattern - and probably after the toothed reverse was rejected, i.e. probably between those and the beaded reverse.

I believe the table below accurately lists the various 1953 pennies:

Date

Gouby

Freeman

Description

rarity

die pair

name

die pair

no.

A+a

BP1953K

1*+D

F243A

Toothed obverse & reverse

R9

B+a

-

1+A

-

Beaded obverse/toothed reverse Mule - Not proof

R9

B+b

BP1953A

1+B

F245

Circulation issue

N

C+a

BP1953L

-

-

Matt proof sold in April 1985

R9

C+b

BP1953P

1+B

F246

Bronze proof

R5

C+b

-

1+B

-

Matt proof (for photographic purposes)

R9

B+a

BP1953M

1+A

F244

From the V.I.P.proof set (Mule)

R9

B+x

BP1953N

-

-

Circulation obverse; toothless reverse

PU

C*+b

BP1953R

-

-

Pattern obverse (122 beads)/toothed reverse Mule

R9

The only coin I haven't seen pictured is the coin defined as BP1953L (Matt proof) sold in April 1985.

The Proof coin in the VIP set is interesting because not only is it a mule with toothed reverse, it also has the obverse design used on circulation pennies (121 beads; A of ELIZABETH points to tooth) rather than that used in the standard proof sets (120 beads; A of ELIZABETH points to gap). The coin sold by Spink in Dec 2014 was BP1953R.

• Like 1

Yes, VIP sets are issued in very small numbers indeed and entirely separate from regular proof sets (though presumably indistinguishable under normal circumstances, e.g. 1937, 1950, 1951, except for case of issue).

We should assume that F244 was not ONLY from a VIP set (though may have been in them?) but was a trial striking : maybe it was originally intended for issue, but then rejected, and therefore like F243A should be regarded as a pattern.

As F244 is (now) a pattern mule, I would have thought it likely that BP 1953 L is also a pattern.

It may be that F244 / BP 1953 L (is there any difference between them??) was intended for currency and therefore struck as proofs for the VIP set. Later it was decided that a further change was desirable and therefore the beaded reverse appeared, and was included in the regular proof and specimen sets.

I would guess that BP 1953 N was experimental - i.e. a true pattern - and probably after the toothed reverse was rejected, i.e. probably between those and the beaded reverse.

I believe the table below accurately lists the various 1953 pennies:

Date

Gouby

Freeman

Description

rarity

die pair

name

die pair

no.

A+a

BP1953K

1*+D

F243A

Toothed obverse & reverse

R9

B+a

-

1+A

-

Beaded obverse/toothed reverse Mule - Not proof

R9

B+b

BP1953A

1+B

F245

Circulation issue

N

C+a

BP1953L

-

-

Matt proof sold in April 1985

R9

C+b

BP1953P

1+B

F246

Bronze proof

R5

C+b

-

1+B

-

Matt proof (for photographic purposes)

R9

B+a

BP1953M

1+A

F244

From the V.I.P.proof set (Mule)

R9

B+x

BP1953N

-

-

Circulation obverse; toothless reverse

PU

C*+b

BP1953R

-

-

Pattern obverse (122 beads)/toothed reverse Mule

R9

The only coin I haven't seen pictured is the coin defined as BP1953L (Matt proof) sold in April 1985.

The Proof coin in the VIP set is interesting because not only is it a mule with toothed reverse, it also has the obverse design used on circulation pennies (121 beads; A of ELIZABETH points to tooth) rather than that used in the standard proof sets (120 beads; A of ELIZABETH points to gap). The coin sold by Spink in Dec 2014 was BP1953R.

Oh dear, I pasted a Word table in but it hasn't come out properly - I'll try again. Ignore the above

Thanks Richard. That is something I will be downloading and adding to my reference info. Hope that is OK.

Cheers

Brian