British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paulus

Time for a mini-round of 'guess the CGS grade'?

Got a small batch back from CGS today (finally, 9 weeks)

First coin, my keeper for this type, what grade did they assign to it? And for a bonus point, what variety is it?

1887_HC_1000x500_CGS_zps9e7fc22f.png

Second coin, had to get this authenticated given the high quality Chinese stuff that's about, grade guesses?

1927_CR_PF_1200x600_CGS_zpse6400db2.png

Third (and final) coin:

1819_CR_LIX_1000x500_CGS_zps2948964d.png

Edited by Paulus

MS64

CGS grade on their own (unique?) scale of 1-100, with MS64 being equivalent to CGS 80, so I will take that as your guess! :)

Not playing, but a lovely G5 crown, Paulus! Really nice...is that also a keeper for type?

Edit: is that a nick at the obverse 4 0'clock? Only thing to catch it in my opinion.

Edited by Coinery

Not playing, but a lovely G5 crown, Paulus! Really nice...is that also a keeper for type?

Thank you Stuart for even clicking on the TPG thread! :) Yes, I'll be keeping that one (and I won't have to worry about paying silly prices for a 1934, like those silly date collector completer types have to!)

Edit: is that a nick at the obverse 4 0'clock? Only thing to catch it in my opinion.

No nicks that I can see, must be something on the CGS pic. Here is the auction pic:

1927_CR_PR_Obv02_400_zpsad100a6c.png

Apart from the inexplicable spot at 4 o/clock on the CGS pic, the CGS pic is considerably more attractive to me than the (DNW) auction pic... photos are everything when it comes to distance selling!

Edited by Paulus

I will post their grades after a few more members have had a chance to guess, but one of the reasons I like to do this from time to time is that it helps to establish whether CGS grading is 'predictable'. We all have concerns over the consistency, accuracy, strictness, vested-interest-ness of TPGs, every little helps - this is not of course, to any degree, a 'quantitative' analysis!.

Nick is correct with the 1 + A for the 1887 ('lace open at front of veil')

1: CGS 80

2: CGS 75

3: CGS 70

No nicks that I can see, must be something on the CGS pic. Here is the auction pic:

1927_CR_PR_Obv02_400_zpsad100a6c.png

Apart from the inexplicable spot at 4 o/clock on the CGS pic, the CGS pic is considerably more attractive to me than the (DNW) auction pic... photos are everything when it comes to distance selling!

I'm so glad it's not rim nicked! Must be the CGS image, then! :)

Davies is usually good at picking the best features for determining varieties, but for the Jubilee head halfcrowns he didn't. I could never work out what the open/closed lace at front of veil was all about. Michael Gouby's method makes it much easier.

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1

82, 80 and 75.

Edited by Rob

82, 75 & 80. The wreath crown was 80+ on the obverse but the high parts of the thistles and the center of the roses were a little weak. I think this was a striking issue rather than wear as the obverse was so good. In all they are all cracking good coins.

Davies is usually good at picking the best features for determining varieties, but for the Jubilee head halfcrowns he didn't. I could never work out what the open/closed lace at front of veil was all about. Michael Gouby's method makes it much easier.

Thank you! Gouby's method is really so much clearer

1) CGS 75

2) CGS 88

3) CGS 70

1. EF

2. aFDC

3. GEF

• Like 1

What? I wanted to play too!

:lol:

Wir warten auf die ergebnisse

lol, ok Dave ... well, some of you got the Viccy half-crown spot-on, and everyone was close - 80 (Choice UNC)

The proof crown, 85 (Choice UNC - BU)

But in their infinite wisdom, CGS have rejected the GEF (IMO) GIII crown as 'Re-Toned' - quite how they determine that I have no idea! Booo.

Isn't retoned the same as cleaned? They would, in a round about way, be saying it's cleaned?