British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

On 07/09/2016 at 9:14 PM, Nordle11 said:

Yeah it's a bug in the software from the forum providers, they know and assume will release the fix when they have it.

You know that hosting a website and all its images costs money right? Predecimal is 100% free and all paid for by Chris, many of the other sites have subscribers or donations to help run the site, whereas this place doesn't. The 500kb limit is actually plenty as well, I've never had a problem myself and everyone else seems to manage ok. The method of selecting images, to me at least, is pretty straightforward? Bar the bug you came across, it literally takes 3 clicks add an image.

If it helps I can show you a couple of ways to reduce the size of an image, you'll find that you can get everything you need within the 500kb limit, especially in the case of photographing coins.

Thanks for that. Yes I had gathered that the site was all funded by Chris at the moment, and I do know these things cost money.

I suppose my question would be: Isn't it time to get more funding and so expand? As far as I know predecimal.com is the best known and most respected forum for UK coins but it could be so much more if it were allowed to expand. Cointalk in the US has so many excellent pictures uploaded in so many categories that it has become a "first port of call" for many trying to ID or value unusual coins and tokens. It is only "OK" on UK coins and so there is a gap in the market.

Could Predecimalcoins not raise more money from advertising? I would have thought many coin auction houses and dealers would be happy to post ads here in the banners.

Also Cointalk has a mechanism by which happy customers can donate money towards the continued upkeep of the site - has that been tried here?

• Like 1

But what's all this extra money for? At the moment the only thing you suggest needs to be 'expanded' is the picture size, which no one else seems to have an issue with? The site already gets many pictures uploaded everyday, there's plenty of information to help and if anyone needs more they just need to upload a picture of their own, everyone on here contributes and there is seldom an unanswered question.

Not to mention all the pictures, varieties, information, grading etc can be found in the books linked across the site, these are all owned by the owner of the site too.

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

Thanks for that. Yes I had gathered that the site was all funded by Chris at the moment, and I do know these things cost money.

I suppose my question would be: Isn't it time to get more funding and so expand? As far as I know predecimal.com is the best known and most respected forum for UK coins but it could be so much more if it were allowed to expand. Cointalk in the US has so many excellent pictures uploaded in so many categories that it has become a "first port of call" for many trying to ID or value unusual coins and tokens. It is only "OK" on UK coins and so there is a gap in the market.

Could Predecimalcoins not raise more money from advertising? I would have thought many coin auction houses and dealers would be happy to post ads here in the banners.

Also Cointalk has a mechanism by which happy customers can donate money towards the continued upkeep of the site - has that been tried here?

Paddy, When this site first opened, The site owner (Chris) did have a donation tab available, and while he does not solicit donations anymore, many of the regulars, who use the site a lot will send him 20-25 pounds now and then, to help with the expense of the site. Not a requirement however.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2016 at 10:23 PM, Nordle11 said:

Yes but we all know you're a special case, Mike ;):P 

That is strange though, I've not heard that one before..

It's only when I'm logged in - when I'm logged out, I'll see what you see, nothing. 

What I don't get is that if I want to use a picture I've stored on image shack, and then use the "insert other media" option, I can then "insert image from a URL", which I'll try now using a random coin directly from my imageshack collection. The pic now appears in my post. But for some bizarre reason, it doesn't appear for anybody else. I seriously don't get what I'm doing wrong here. 

If I try to import a picture directly from my own PC pictures, they're always way too big, and it's a hassle having to re-size to fit. Some advice would be welcome as seemingly nobody else has any problems posting pics, and it's really beginning to bug me as to why I should be encountering this weird obstacle. 

By the way you can see a screenshot of the post as it appears to me here      

ZlBFAJ.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence

4 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

It's only when I'm logged in - when I'm logged out, I'll see what you see, nothing. 

What I don't get is that if I want to use a picture I've stored on image shack, and then use the "inset other media" option, I can then "insert image from a URL", which I'll try now using a random coin directly from my imageshack collection - URL]URL]The pic now appears in my post. But for some bizarre reason, it doesn't appear for anybody else. I seriously don't get what I'm doing wrong here. 

If I try to import a picture directly from my own PC pictures, they're always way too big, and it's a hassle having to re-size to fit. Some advice would be welcome as seemingly nobody else has any problems posting pics, and it's really beginning to bug me as to why I should be encountering this weird obstacle.         

ZlBFAJ.jpg

For me, the first URL inserted image isn't showing, whereas the second one directly from your computer is. I can't see what the problem would be with the first type though.

The quickest way I find to re-size is to print screen, paste and crop in paint then save as a jpeg, usually gets anything under 500kb.

Can you PM me a link to a photo on your image shack and I'll try to replicate it?

18 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

For me, the first URL inserted image isn't showing, whereas the second one directly from your computer is. I can't see what the problem would be with the first type though.

The quickest way I find to re-size is to print screen, paste and crop in paint then save as a jpeg, usually gets anything under 500kb.

Can you PM me a link to a photo on your image shack and I'll try to replicate it?

Will do, Matt. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Will do, Matt. Thanks.

Just having a look and I get a 404, could it be that with this photo hosting site you need to be logged in to your account to view your images? 

Can you do a test for me - log out of imageshack but stay logged into PD, then try to look at one of the pictures on here that you could see before that no-one else can. If it doesn't show up I reckon it's blocking people who aren't logged in as you from looking at the images.

13 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Just having a look and I get a 404, could it be that with this photo hosting site you need to be logged in to your account to view your images? 

Can you do a test for me - log out of imageshack but stay logged into PD, then try to look at one of the pictures on here that you could see before that no-one else can. If it doesn't show up I reckon it's blocking people who aren't logged in as you from looking at the images.

So I've done that and I can still see the image. Even more bizarrely I can see it on my phone whilst logged out of PD and there is no possible connection between me and imageshack on there as I use a different e mail address and rely on 4G, not a PC server. I just don't get it, although there has to be a logical explanation.

Just now, 1949threepence said:

So I've done that and I can still see the image. Even more bizarrely I can see it on my phone whilst logged out of PD and there is no possible connection between me and imageshack on there as I use a different e mail address and rely on 4G, not a PC server. I just don't get it, although there has to be a logical explanation.

Of course that would happen, it would be too easy otherwise :D having a look around now.

18 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Found some interesting information regarding Imageshack - it's basically the Windows Vista of image hosting sites and a lot of forums have problems trying to see pictures hosted by them. I know that's a pain in the ass but I think the solution is to use the add attachment or another image host. Sorry Mike.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Found some interesting information regarding Imageshack - it's basically the Windows Vista of image hosting sites and a lot of forums have problems trying to see pictures hosted by them. I know that's a pain in the ass but I think the solution is to use the add attachment or another image host. Sorry Mike.

OK, thanks Matt. I appreciate your time and trouble. I'll try something else. Hadn't realised imageshack was a problem with forums.

30thoyf.jpg

Does this show?

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

Yes I can see it if that helps:)

• Like 1

On 14/9/2016 at 4:48 PM, 1949threepence said:

OK, thanks Matt. I appreciate your time and trouble. I'll try something else. Hadn't realised imageshack was a problem with forums.

30thoyf.jpg

Does this show?

Indeed it does :)

Tinypic?

• Like 1

Sorry Mike, because you edited it, it didn't show as a new post and I completely missed it :D 

Cheers 

49 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Sorry Mike, because you edited it, it didn't show as a new post and I completely missed it :D 

No worries,  Matt. As long as it appears,  that's the main thing.

52 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Indeed it does :)

Tinypic?

Tiny pic, yes

I'm using tinypic now because I'm having issues with Photobucket . Tinypic is fast to upload, but unless I'm doing something wrong, there's no bulk uploader. Each shot has to be done individually.

I’m tagging onto the end of this thread as I read through it all hoping for guidance!

Is there an easy way to upload images via the iPad as I do everything on one, and I think most of the image advice is for those with PCs. I tried to change my profile picture earlier and it just ignored me completely! I’m hoping to take some coin pictures one day too...

I was quite sad to see so few coin photos in the forum gallery - I thought there’d be masses on there. I know there’s some in threads as I’ve seen quite a few, but it’s not quite the same as having them all there to see together. Is there a reason for this? I also can’t see how to do a member album on there, although I appreciate that’s probably my newbie hat rendering me a bit thick lol!

Thanks in advance :)

Soph.

2 hours ago, SophieCat said:

I was quite sad to see so few coin photos in the forum gallery - I thought there’d be masses on there. I know there’s some in threads as I’ve seen quite a few, but it’s not quite the same as having them all there to see together. Is there a reason for this? I also can’t see how to do a member album on there, although I appreciate that’s probably my newbie hat rendering me a bit thick lol!

Soph.

There used to be a large gallery section prior to the website changing hosts and software 4(?) years ago. The gallery pics didn't transfer across, and images have been further depleted due to the ludicrous amount of money demanded by Photobucket for hosting. Most people used to load their images via that host, but nobody is going to pay hundreds of £/$s just for the right to dump some images on their servers to be uploaded to other sites. They frightened off everyone on this forum, and to be honest, I'm not sure what market they are aiming to capture given the cost of storage these days.

2 hours ago, SophieCat said:

I’m tagging onto the end of this thread as I read through it all hoping for guidance!

Is there an easy way to upload images via the iPad as I do everything on one, and I think most of the image advice is for those with PCs. I tried to change my profile picture earlier and it just ignored me completely! I’m hoping to take some coin pictures one day too...

Soph.

It should theoretically work the same as a PC in that you have a photo stored, then when wanting to attach a pic to a post you make, you'd click "choose files", and it would take you to your photos - in your case on an i pad. The only problem might be that it regards the pic as too large. Try it and see. 

I've had numerous issues with attaching pics, but eventually managed to get round it in a very convoluted fashion. When I get a coin I want to show the forum, I photograph it using my Google Nexus 7 tablet - it actually takes quite a decent pic. If I try to attach it straight from my tablet it is too large. But if I e mail it to myself, and then save it on my PC, it will immediateloy transfer the photo to my post - how weird is that? Must re-size it automatically. 

The only other thing you could do is save your picture to tiny pic, or another image hosting site, copy the "image" (IMG) link (ignore any others), and then paste that directly into your post. It will change it from link text into a photo. That always works. 

Where's Matt when you need him - he was ace at this sort of thing.  

• Like 1

Thank you Rob and 1949threepence :) 

Sad about the gallery images, that must have been gutting. Seems insane that it has to be so difficult to upload images to a post. Thanks for the image advice, I’ll have to have a play and see if I can get something to work..,

Soph.

• Like 1

Just seeing if this works :) it’s not a coin though, sorry! Can you tell me if you can see anything?!

https://pin.it/ids2tvv6mpygjc

Soph.

ids2tvv6mpygjc

Edited by SophieCat

20 minutes ago, SophieCat said:

Just seeing if this works :) it’s not a coin though, sorry! Can you tell me if you can see anything?!

Soph.

ids2tvv6mpygjc

Can't see the image - but the link shows a china tea set.

1 hour ago, SophieCat said:

Soph.

ids2tvv6mpygjc

Anything on pinterest requires you to sign up to view the pictures. 

If it helps, I take a picture and save it as a jpeg. If it is over 0.5Mb then I resize it using paint so that it is just under that size. You don't have to use the maximum size to get a decent picture though. Obviously it will depend on the size of the coin. e.g. This Bristol halfcrown is 37mm across at the widest point. The first image is 481kb and the second 116kb. There is no serious degradation in image quality, and is certainly adequate for the average viewer.

c1902 Bristol 1643 halfcrown Morr.C-9 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1