British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

hazelman

Newbie - who started collecting any and all coins

Good evening all

Allow mw to introduce myself as a newbie on this site having been directed here from someone I purchased a coin from recently.

I have been collecting coins for about 10 years - I started with any and every coin and over the years have slowly finding my greatest interest lies in Copper pennies and shillings from Queen Victoria to current. Of these I am most keen on Bun Head and King Edward penny and shilling coins.

While I have begun finding good resource material for Penny coins "gouby" ive struggled finding the best resource for shilling coins any recommendations?

best regards

Frederick.

Would also be interested in good online auction sites. I must say been reading through the forums and what a great site compliments to all.

A very warm welcome Hazelman! This Forum is particularly great for its expertise, honesty, and frequency of posts and replies, in my opinion!

For shilling varieties I would recommend 'English Silver Coinage since 1649' by Seaby / Rayner, and 'The Identification of British 20th Century Silver Coin Varieties' by David J Groom (a member on here)

And I wish you all the luck in the world, do you have a 1905 shilling you are happy with yet?

• Like 1

You mean "bronze" pennies, not copper, but you're doing the right thing in acquiring the definitive literature - no better place to start.

For shillings, there's not a great deal of research needed from Victoria onwards so a good catalogue/price guide will see you ok. Basically you've got:

- Spink's "Coins of England" catalogue

- the CCGB price guide+ (see banner advert above)

- for varieties you've got Davies "British Silver Coins from 1816"

- Dave Groom's "The Identification of British 20thC Silver Coin Varieties"

Then there's Seaby/Rayner's "English Silver Coinage" though no longer in print. That's probably enough to be going on with.

• Like 1

Gents,

Thanks for your replies will get the recommended literature. Yes I did mean bronze. I have a 1905 and a 1908 shilling, no doubt will be looking to upgrade them.

Got a bit excited in my first post hence the errors.

best regards

Welcome Frederick, yes this is the best coin forum without a doubt. You will learn a great deal off all the members like I have and still do.

Regards jim.

Thank you all for the warm welcome

How could I get hold of David Groom on the site so that I purchase his "Identification of British 20th century silver coin varieties".

Also any recommendations on where to find Davies book maybe a member has 2 copies and wants to sell one.

How could I get hold of David Groom on the site so that I purchase his "Identification of British 20th century silver coin varieties".

Also any recommendations on where to find Davies book maybe a member has 2 copies and wants to sell one.

PM sent

I do my books direct at a discount on the RR price for forum members. The Silver one is £9.99 plus £3 P&P. If you are interested. I'll even sign it as a freebie, if you want!!!

I do my books direct at a discount on the RR price for forum members. The Silver one is £9.99 plus £3 P&P. If you are interested. I'll even sign it as a freebie, if you want!!!

Thats a great deal indeed!

Can i have it? Plus the bronze one!

Dave,

Thank you yes please - and signed would be such a bonus. Kindly provide me with banking details so I can make an online transfer.

thanking you

Frederick

Note: The post before mine mentions another of your books - (the bronze one) can you tell me more about this as I may be interested in this as well.

Did I point you here from the facebook activity by any chance?

• Like 1

Chris,

The gent who pointed me here was Declan coins who recently sold me a coin.

Must say im happy he did.

best regards

Declan Magee coins

Hah! My post was a little tongue in cheek, Hazelman, we all know Declan on here. Really decent chap, just down the road from me! Comes highly recommended! :)

Actually beginning to wonder about this guy called Declan - think he must be a Dark Knight - that's Ok though hes always sold me nice coins and as im a goffle I can deal with any shades

Never heard of him. Sure he's kosher?

Not so sure? A couple of 1967 pennies did go astray following your visit to the boat! :D

From one newbie and one penny collector to another "Welcome Hazelman".

• Like 1

Thanks Prax

God I thought higher of Declan only 1967 penny

Never heard of him. Sure he's kosher?

Did you have a bar-mitzvah, Declan?

Declan did a remarkable tooling job on that 67 1d to turn it into a 04d.