British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
damian1986

Building a high grade collection of Henry III pennies

Is it possible?

20 mints, 32(?) moneyers, 7 main classes and a bunch of subclasses.

Below is a coin that hammered at £1700 in DNW last month. So definitely some of them, rare mint / moneyer / subclasses would be a case of taking anything, but even with the commoner types - the "rank and file" as Baldwins refer to them - are tough!!

Rob's 1b at Canterbury that he shared is a good benchmark for what I'm considering "high grade". There was another 1b in DNW last month but London; I gave up after 220 - it wasn't that good.

Not sure where to draw the line.

Roger at Canterbury, 5h.

195342028af5ae39365a867f15da3d7b.jpg

Brilliant! If you do journey into that pretty series, please share the journey here! I love those pennies...bloody 'ell, where do you draw the line?

Someone should start a thread for each series of interest, rather than post a global title!

So, 'Henry III Coinage,' get it started Damian! :)

Oh, and the answer is YES! :)

Hmm .. I occasionally look at pennies. Even John, which seems to me to be a more consistent series, I've yet to find a coin that really 'does' it for me.

But then I guess it comes down to what you're prepared to accept. For me I think it would take a good deal of time and possibly money to assemble a collection I would be happy with ... fussy bugger, aren't I?

:unsure:

Edited by TomGoodheart

You could probably buy 3 really nice H3 pennies for some of those 'harder' Charles shillings, TG?

C'mon, you need diversifying during these times of XII drought...give us some more Charles I coppers, and some hammered pennies...you can do it? ?

You could probably buy 3 really nice H3 pennies for some of those 'harder' Charles shillings, TG?

C'mon, you need diversifying during these times of XII drought...give us some more Charles I coppers, and some hammered pennies...you can do it? ?

LOL Not sure about that. I am very fussy after all. For example I could get up to three decent Chas shillings for the price of this:

cg100021.jpg

Plus if I were going to go for pennies (and had the funds) I think I might start with something more like this:

3836_230x230.jpg3837_230x230.jpg

:D

Ptfffff! Fussy, that's what you are, TG, fussy! :rolleyes:

Is the farthing your's?

Farthing? I think it's a penny. The Edward the Confessor is £925 with AMR coins

I built up a complete mint run of his longcross pennies, mostly in high grade quite easily so it's definitely achievable! As you say, some of the rarer classes will be more of a struggle.

Keep us updated as this is an area I really do enjoy.

Sorryy, referring back to the nautilus! ;)

Very nice scott , unlike your normal washers

Very decent Scott!

Thought I'd seen this before. He seems to add new stock fairly regularly and it's mostly nice stuff.

I considered the Briot milled halfcrown he also added recently. But £2750 and I've seen better; MH Coins had one (different type mind) but that was £4,000 and that was a beaut. Both arguably expensive. The latter, the way I see it, deserves the premium as the detail is phenomenal. Will I ever see a better one? Not that I have a spare 3 or 4 grand right now.

The thing with the penny is it's only Stamford. All those extra £s are for the grade, really, which is okay but a big outlay.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic though - high grade Henry III are going to cost a fair few extra quid too!

I built up a complete mint run of his longcross pennies, mostly in high grade quite easily so it's definitely achievable! As you say, some of the rarer classes will be more of a struggle.

Would appreciate some photos Clive!!!? :)

991587.jpg

i'm happy with my 1 example.

Nice coin!

I've got trays of Henry IIIs as it is what I started with in the hammered series. Will try and get some images as I don't have access to them at present. Here's a teaser.

50o66p.jpg

• Like 1

Mrs B tells me that I've got my "stunned mullet" look again. That looks truly fantastic Clive.

Thought I'd seen this before. He seems to add new stock fairly regularly and it's mostly nice stuff.

I considered the Briot milled halfcrown he also added recently. But £2750 and I've seen better; MH Coins had one (different type mind) but that was £4,000 and that was a beaut. Both arguably expensive. The latter, the way I see it, deserves the premium as the detail is phenomenal. Will I ever see a better one? Not that I have a spare 3 or 4 grand right now.

The thing with the penny is it's only Stamford. All those extra £s are for the grade, really, which is okay but a big outlay.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic though - high grade Henry III are going to cost a fair few extra quid too!

Would appreciate some photos Clive!!!? :)

991587.jpg

i'm happy with my 1 example.

Nice coin!

You're paying for grade these days whether as collectors we like it or not, i'm trying not to settle for mediocre anymore which means less coins bought, more saving and the right coin purchase. In years to come you won't regret the outlay Edited by azda

Mrs B tells me that I've got my "stunned mullet" look again. That looks truly fantastic Clive.

Yep thanks Clive I look forward to the rest!

You're paying for grade these days whether as collectors we like it or not, i'm trying not to settle for mediocre anymore which means less coins bought, more saving and the right coin purchase. In years to come you won't regret the outlay

I'm comfortable with that approach to collecting too. Availability of higher grade pieces is another factor so all in all I don't see how anything but a 'representative' collection can be formed.

Oh yes the Briot halfcrown was just me wittering on about really where to draw a line in terms of what will do - actually taking the plunge and forking out for a coin is fine so long as it's absolutely worth every penny.

I'd hate to see a better alternative come along in 12 months that is the same price or just a little bit more.

This may always happen regarding forking out and something else appearing later, you either

Take the plunge on the coin you find or risk waiting a good while for another too come along and end up paying a lot more fot similar grade a

Year or more down the line, its the conundrum of coin collecting. Personally if i like a coin and it appeals to me then i'll go with my gut feeling. I bought last year a common 1887 crown even though i could have got one in UNC in the same sale it was graded GEF but i loved it and appealed to me, many ebayers would describe it as UNC PROOFLIKE IMO, but even though it was'nt UNC it appealed to me and as its my

Collection my taste is the most important factor and bollox to what anyone else may think about it

Edited by azda

This may always happen regarding forking out and something else appearing later, you either

Take the plunge on the coin you find or risk waiting a good while for another too come along and end up paying a lot more fot similar grade a

Year or more down the line, its the conundrum of coin collecting. Personally if i like a coin and it appeals to me then i'll go with my gut feeling. I bought last year a common 1887 crown even though i could have got one in UNC in the same sale it was graded GEF but i loved it and appealed to me, many ebayers would describe it as UNC PROOFLIKE IMO, but even though it was'nt UNC it appealed to me and as its my

Collection my taste is the most important factor and bollox to what anyone else may think about it

Ah see good point. And I do worry about what others would think even though I have no intention of selling in the foreseeable future, and no one actually sees them.

Partly also though for me it depends how much money is at stake. Either of those 2 Briot halfcrowns would do, naturally, :rolleyes: , but the difference between 3 grand and 4 grand is negligible when the one is going to please more than the other. It's a lot of money either way so it really has to be something I'm not going to question or get fed up with and want to sell in 12 months.

I do know what you mean though. Here's a lovely shilling I got from Rob, similar sort of principle applies I think.

f1542404428cd7c23853697ea0dd3523.png

Edited by damian1986

You'll see my crown in my link to omnicoin. Another point to bear in mind is that if the difference im the 2 Briots are barely noticable then obviously 1 dealer wants to make a lot more money than the other.

You'll see my crown in my link to omnicoin. Another point to bear in mind is that if the difference im the 2 Briots are barely noticable then obviously 1 dealer wants to make a lot more money than the other.

Some nice coins and good to see them up on omnicoin. I suppose collecting is a very private thing so I do love it when people share.

Well actually the jump in grade is significant so in that respect the prices were probably fair but as you say it's just that conundrum of deciding when to take the plunge. I'm finding the online realised prices databases from Heritage, Sixbid, London Coins and DNW quite useful as reference points for figuring out what sort of quality is available but it has its limitations with scarcer coins as we only have a few years worth of archives to work with. I suppose that's where I'll be using you lot to help ;)

I don't mind sharing as its a journey for us all, but i've learnt a lot from this forum in the last 18 months plus we all help each other out. Watching auctions is also a good key, especially live ones, you get a feel for prices, but always trust your own instincts, if you feel its not right or overpriced then move along

Edited by azda