British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dal_I'm_a_Guest

Ancients identification

Guest Dal_I'm_a_Guest

Is there anyone using these forums that knows enough about ancients to help with an ID? I know this site deals mainly with British coins, but the coins I am talking about are Greek, Greco-Roman, Greco-African, though they were all apparantly found in a hoard in Teeside I think. I will state the problem anyway on the off chance someone can help with my question. The main problem coin is a small gold. I tihnk it is of one of the Ptolomy's or on of the Cleopatra's. It is of the eagle stg. left type which, confusingly, all the Ptolomies apart from III used, and at least 2 Cleopatra's, III and VII. The Obv is not clear enough to get a decent ID, but the rev. is almost perfect, tho the legend is rather too small to read comfortably...my question is really, is there a way to differentiate between the Ptolomy's solely using the rev? Is there anything in particular that I should look for ( other than the legend, cause I am going to attempt that last,the text is REALLY hard to work out hehe, and the portions that I have deciphered couldnt be displayed here anyway without some form of text editor)

Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated and gratefully received. I would love to work this coin out, as it is really a lovely example, and from an amazing period of history. I know that other rulers/cities minted very similar coins, but I am pretty certain it is a Ptolomy or a Cleopatra.

Dal,

My friend Richard who runs a new site www.coinsforsale.co.uk has the knowledge.

Although he may not have the time as he wants to sell coins, not tell people about them for free!

Maybe worth a try if you tell him I sent you and ask him very nicely indeed.

Chris

www.predecimal.com

Guest Dal

TY Chris, I may give him a try, though I would hate to impose on him too much, but needs must and all that so I may give him a shout, thanks for the pointer.