British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

The latter definitely has to be true because however good a coin is there could always be a better one round the corner. No coin is likely to make 100, whether currency or proof.

Again, I agree. Much like I feel about perfect 10's in gymnastics and perfect 6's for Torville and Dean (I won't mention televised talent competitions!)

However:

• I have a NGC MS70 coin (non Proof)
  • I have 2 PCGS PR70 coins
  • And going back to my FDC question, you have for sale an 1882 Maundy set that you describe as aFDC, but I presume they are not proof (they would be a bargain indeed if they were!) - do you make an exception in grading descriptions for non-proof Maundy (perhaps because they are not minted for circulation)?
Edited by Paulus

Paulus, you are the font of all knowledge! That CGS valuation will quickly escalate when the no-date 20p stops being found in grades better than VF...about now I reckon? I'd like to get mine sooner rather than later.

And re the other conversation: how are we ever to define perfect? I'm perfect in my mum's eyes! At least that's what she told me!

I presented the same idea to my dear wife, who retorted 'hmmmmph, I'm going to bed, I've got work in the morning!'

Hey ho! :)

aFDC? You are in big trouble, Paulus! ;)

Edit: in fear of your numismatic life I propose maybe some are FDC and some aren't? :)

Edited by Coinery

Paulus, you are the font of all knowledge! That CGS valuation will quickly escalate when the no-date 20p stops being found in grades better than VF...about now I reckon? I'd like to get mine sooner rather than later.

And re the other conversation: how are we ever to define perfect? I'm perfect in my mum's eyes! At least that's what she told me!

I presented the same idea to my dear wife, who retorted 'hmmmmph, I'm going to bed, I've got work in the morning!'

Hey ho! :)

Would that it were so, I am still on a steep learning curve but still enjoying the hobby immensely! The likes of Rob have probably forgotten more than I will ever know (although perhaps Rob is a bad example, he seems to have an encyclopaedic memory!)

The problem of the 'perfect' grade is analogous to the competitions I mentioned - if you give someone a 9.9, and then later on someone else is even better, what do you do?

aFDC? You are in big trouble, Paulus! ;)

Edit: in fear of your numismatic life I propose maybe some are FDC and some aren't? :)

It's not a grading description I use myself, but it appears to be in common usage!

Maybe it's a term that wrangles in the same way as 'almost unique'?

if you give someone a 9.9, and then later on someone else is even better, what do you do?

It's a good point, and something we all get hung up on. I guess any top mark, for any sport or achievement in quality has to be taken in context of the knowledge at that time?

I'm pretty sure the Spitfire came close to a 10 in the '40's? It would be a pretty lame machine today! In a shoot-out with a eurofigher it might struggle to achieve Fair, though I wouldn't begrudge anyone thinking it was the finest at the time.

In all honesty I couldn't give a naughty-one about the TPG numbers! They'll always struggle around the last few digits for fear of egg on their face! You could give them a washer from B&Q and fear would have them declare 'this may not be the worst w3 sixpence I've ever seen...there could be worse out there!'

What a silly old set of parameters to measure what is, in fact, a piece of art, and mostly ancient art at that!

I'm going to give Rembrandt, mmmmm, umm, 7 out of 10 i think, because a better artist could possibly come along! Ridiculous! :)

I've just realised I like the term 'finest known' as then it only requires someone else to come along and say 'actually, no, this has just turned up, and is actually better?' The 'better' bit is generally clear to most serious coin collectors, and would seldom be disputed I'd say? Even if it ultimately came to be '1of the 2 finest known examples' it would still be better than the circus that surrounds TPGCs! IMHO! :)

The whole thing has got a bit ridiculous

... oh, the Eurofighter, WHAT a machine!!!!!!! I never tire of it at air shows! The very best was Bournemouth a few years ago when it was a gorgeous August Bank Holiday weekend so they could do what they wanted in the skies ... then later in the afternoon a few wispy clouds appeared and this total Top Gun Maverick show off gave it all he'd got ... with audio commentary on the tannoy, after his diaphragm-challenging aeronautics, he finished by corkscrewing vertically up through a cloud leaving a perfect hole in his wake ... an audio-visual image I will never forget

I've just realised I like the term 'finest known' as then it only requires someone else to come along and say 'actually, no, this has just turned up, and is actually better?' The 'better' bit is generally clear to most serious coin collectors, and would seldom be disputed I'd say? Even if it ultimately came to be '1of the 2 finest known examples' it would still be better than the circus that surrounds TPGCs! IMHO! :)

Exactly Stu, and with a small population like CGS have of under 40,000 graded coins the 'Finest Known' accolade can change hands quite frequently, and is still up for grabs for many many types!!!

At least there is a finite population out there to collect ... until another hoard of Tudor hammered is discovered, revealing some Liz I sixpences with an Aardvark privy mark!

If we every discover the aardvark PM, we must keep it to ourselves until we've gathered in the last remaining examples! ;)

Take it easy out there, Paulus, I bid you a good night! ? :)

Oops. Should be gEF with a bare trace of cabinet friction to the highest points. I can't remember now but suspect a copy and paste generated inconsistency again, 3 coins before that on the list was a 1953 proof set, so I presume I copied the description and modified it, being in the same section. Thank you for pointing that out.

There was a story in the newspaper today about a man whose wife chopped his penis off TWICE and the second time she threw it away and it was never found , they recon a stray cat or dog ate it

There was a story in the newspaper today about a man whose wife chopped his penis off TWICE and the second time she threw it away and it was never found , they recon a stray cat or dog ate it

"Most sausages shrink when you cook 'em - you got any more of those expanding kind?" :D

Back to the quiz question: castle Cary, langport, crewkerne, ilminster, Taunton?

Back to the quiz question: castle Cary, langport, crewkerne, ilminster, Taunton?

I think Rob has said that Ilchester is one of them?

Castle Cary and Ilminster aren't mints, the other three are correct.

Puzzled! Did your quiz and got all questions asked correct to be told I had only 10 of 12 right?