British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I wondered who on earth buys all those new coins and gold plated, diamond studded, Tuvalu etc modern issues that we all know and don't love. Well, it seems to be the people on Facebook! There are groups full of thousands of people, swapping, buying and selling such coins! And when you try to talk some sense into them, no one seems to be listening.

I'm currently promoting a new Facebook group for Rotographic and thought I'd create a simple quiz to get people interested. So far, only one person out of 32 has got all the answers right.

Here it is:

https://apps.facebook.com/fb-quizzes/hzuuel

And to like Rotographic on Facebook please go to here:

https://www.facebook.com/rotographic and press the 'Like' whatsit.

That was you was it, I noticed that result and knew it must have been a silly mistake. If you're on fb, please like Rotographic Publications!

I'm not a member of Facebook so I guess I really fail the quiz... ( maybe I pass it instead... maybe that's the real test)

Facebook membership is not a prerequisite, I think it should work without it, non?

Oh sorry, I'm sure it used to just be a webpage.

I'm not really totally convinced about the benefits of social media either, but if it helps me build up another fan base that buy the odd book, I'm in.

9 out of 10. Like scott didn't read it properly. The florin one AND I should have got that one right. :angry:

Good work Chris.

I slipped a couple of tricky ones in that are easy to bungle if you don't read it right ;)

I don't have facebook :) and to rub salt into a wound, when I hit the back button it keeps refreshing to the sign up to facebook page. :( I hate websites that won't let you make an emergency exit. :angry:

Whilst on the topic of quizzes, here is one question I set in 2011 for our club. Surprisingly, nobody got full marks.

8. For any student of the Anglo-Saxon coinage, the roundabout at Podimore in Somerset is a dream come true. On the various signs leading onto and off the roundabout are the names of approx. 10% of the known Anglo-Saxon mints. For the geographically challenged, Podimore is 4 ½ miles north of Yeovil at the junction of the A37 – the Fosse Way and the A303 which is the link road connecting the A30 near Chard with the M3 at Basingstoke. Please give me five of the mint locations named. (5)

Without cheating using street view, have a guess at them. It should be easy to get at least half given the clues.

Whilst on the topic of quizzes, here is one question I set in 2011 for our club. Surprisingly, nobody got full marks.

8. For any student of the Anglo-Saxon coinage, the roundabout at Podimore in Somerset is a dream come true. On the various signs leading onto and off the roundabout are the names of approx. 10% of the known Anglo-Saxon mints. For the geographically challenged, Podimore is 4 ½ miles north of Yeovil at the junction of the A37 – the Fosse Way and the A303 which is the link road connecting the A30 near Chard with the M3 at Basingstoke. Please give me five of the mint locations named. (5)

Without cheating using street view, have a guess at them. It should be easy to get at least half given the clues.

Ok, how about Ilchester, Cricklade, Shaftesbury, Malmesbury and Winchcombe?

Mother-in-law lives in Cricklade and she's minted no coins, so can't be there? ;)

Who buys that rubbish ?

Ahhhhh that would be - everyone who just had to have an undated 20p because it will be worth £20 000 by the time they retire

Also any customers of the London mint office

I quite fancy an uncirculated no-date 20p! What would one of those be worth now? Does such a thing even exist?

1 right.

I quite fancy an uncirculated no-date 20p! What would one of those be worth now? Does such a thing even exist?

The best CGS have handled (according to their graders) (out of a surprisingly impressive 631 undated 20p's) is this one:

2008_20p_ND_zps42307781.png

88 being equivalent to BU+

I know, I know, how can a non-proof coin be better than BU!

Their table says 88 = BU - NFDC

But then of course proof is not in itself a grade, and I don't necessarily see why non-proof coins can't be described as FDC ...

Out of interest, does anyone know the history behind the adoption of FDC (Fleur de Coin) as a grade, seeing as it does not conform to the rest of the traditional grading abbreviations?

Edited by Paulus

1 right.

lol

Ilchester eh? Not today sir, no.

NFDC is equal to 12. On the basis that BU is as good as they come, then that must equal 100. The rest follows. :)

Ilchester is indeed correct. It's a mile and a half away down the 303 on the left.

NFDC is equal to 12. On the basis that BU is as good as they come, then that must equal 100. The rest follows. :)

I totally agree Rob, BU should be the top grade of 100 for non-proofs on the CGS scale, and FDC for proofs, equally with a grade of 100.

To my mind they have confused the 2, suggesting perhaps that

• Proofs are always a better grade than circulation coins (but they are a different type so you can't really compare them)
  • A circulation coin cannot achieve a grade of 100?

The latter definitely has to be true because however good a coin is there could always be a better one round the corner. No coin is likely to make 100, whether currency or proof.