British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coinery

Hammered Copper Farthings!

A rare MM never seen one myself, these charles and james farthings are getting increasingly rare , good job there are still lots in the thames

They are getting almost as popular as pennies and Charles I shillings on this forum :D

Oooooooh, someone got that cheap! Colin? 191497832231 Original tinning too! £180 the other week, £80 this!

Goodness knows how cheap it would've gone for if I wasn't the underbidder?

I had a low bid at this one, the dry verd on this one made me a bit cautious, sometimes these can be really powdery if they are detecting finds. The Thames finds always seem a bit more stable. I was tempted but held back. I would guess at the winner being Ray Hamson of http://www.stuartroyalfarthingtokens.com/

I had a low bid at this one, the dry verd on this one made me a bit cautious, sometimes these can be really powdery if they are detecting finds. The Thames finds always seem a bit more stable. I was tempted but held back. I would guess at the winner being Ray Hamson of http://www.stuartroyalfarthingtokens.com/

With all that tin on it, I didn't think it to be a detector find? Least not a traditional soil-found coin?

I'm surprised you didn't value it higher than the other one? I thought it was infinitely better.

I know some finds Norfolk way that have been in a very sandy soil can come out in that type of condition as detecting finds. Admittedly not very often but it does happen. I have had a couple before that have been similar, I would choose the Thames find every time, purely because of the stability issue.

Breckland sandy soils throw up the best...as I know :)

When I was working at Lakenheath we ordered 40t of type 1 to sort out safe access to the office.

I found 2 Romans,5 or 6 farthings and about 10 musket balls.

There was also the Saxon king on his horse within 800m