British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
si666

Hammered coins Worth buying?

Hi

I have been offered these coins and would just like to cheekily ask anybody's opinions as to value and any info they can give me about them?

I am sorry the pics are not very good but I have been offered the chance to view them properly if I wish

Thanks in advance

Simonpost-4770-0-46581800-1420927618_thumb.jppost-4770-0-13435500-1420927648_thumb.jp

Top left, groat of Henry VIII appears to be a modern (WRL) copy in lead-free pewter. Bottom a Krauwinkel / Nuremberg jetton not a coin. The top right? Sixpence of Elizabeth I I'm guessing. Condition? Mediocre, in that the reverse is OK, but I can't see poor Liz's face.

Personally? I'd pass.

£10 worth there Simon and that is for the silver.

Stick to what you know or dip your toe in with known expert/dealers.

Clive Knipe of Historic coinage would be my 1st point of call or any of the dealers on the forum.

Gillis coins also come highly recommended and if you want to push the boat out Lloyd Bennet or Rasmusen will give you quality.

Hopefully it was'nt a friend who was offering them, you should ask (for fun) where he got the Henry VIII

Definitely a pass Simon and I would echo the advice given so far. Hammered coins span many hundreds of years (far longer a period than milled coins), and every one is unique ... although collecting in this area can be very affordable, it is not something to venture into without knowledge or advice, preferably both :)