British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Michael-Roo

Maltravers Farthing MM Woolpack E130g*

Stuart passed this on to Tim Everson who responded below:

If a contemporary counterfeit it is indeed of very fine work, especially when compared with others of the same period.

Thank you for showing me this most interesting coin. Nice that it is in such nice condition too. As you say the punctuation is the same as my 129i on the obverse, the reverse is unusual in having a stop after FRAN rather than an apostrophe stop. It is of good style but it was well spotted of you concerning the fleur de lis on the sceptre tops. They do not look right and it makes me thin that 129i was perhaps an excellent counterfeit as I think this is rather than poor genuine piece. It is new to my book and I would classify it as follows:
130g*. (BMC 252)pm Woolpack. Obverse as 129i. Reverse 2 but stop after FRAN. Six strings. Die axis 0. [ER]
(It is now the author's opinion that this piece and 129i may be counterfeit because of the upright die axis and the unusual obverse readings)
Thanks again so much for this
Happy Christmas
Tim

post-8388-0-68799100-1420461713_thumb.jp

post-8388-0-13642400-1420461732_thumb.jp

It is great when you get to communicate with informed people on these issues. In isolation some of these facts would not be apparent, it is only when the collective knowledge comes together that the outcome becomes clear.