British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
agentfridge

one millionth one pound note. worth anything?

Hi all,

I hope you can help me.

My wifes mother has a one pound note with the serial number 1000000 (unsure of two letters at the begining as I personally havnt seen it as yet).

It was brand new from the print (her grandfather worked in a payroll team so it had not been put into full circulation) and has been kept mint.

my question is, is it actually worth anything? do people care about such specific serial numbers?

thanks in advance.

Mike

They do yes. Round numbers can usually be sold for a little more than a normal UNC example. What kind of pound note? 1980s, or earlier?

Don't know about British notes but in Australia the 1000000 numbered notes were hand numbered because of the extra digit and so are reasonably rare and valuable.

Hi Chris,

Apologies for not coming back to you and thanking you for your reply.

The note is a 1950's one and has the serial number C39C 1000000

thanks in advance

Mike

Which chief cashier signature does it bear?

Yes, looks like Beale, having gone through EPM for the other cashiers. I think the OP should speak to Pam West about it. Condition will obviously play a big part, but I really don't know what premium a 1000000 serial has over higher or lower, less round numbers.

Thanks guys.

Yes it has Beale's signature on it.

Condition wise it has been kept in a box since it was received directly from the bank and was never in circulation. Unfortunately for most of that time it was folded in half so there is a fold line visible

Yes, looks like Beale, having gone through EPM for the other cashiers. I think the OP should speak to Pam West about it. Condition will obviously play a big part, but I really don't know what premium a 1000000 serial has over higher or lower, less round numbers.

Do these notes normally have six digit serial numbers? 1000000 is seven digits which would surely make a bit more special than any other serial number (except maybe solid 0's).

Those shown in "English Paper Money" only have 6 digits, but I suppose it's possible that they went over 1000000 with the serials. Unless it's 100,000? Be interesting to see a picture. Obviously if they only went up to 1m then started again with C40C then 7 digits is literally one in a million. I can ask Pam West if you like Mike? I was emailing her over the last week about something else.

Looks to be only fine + and the unusual number i would estimate about £35.

Good luck should you sell it and hope you get considerably more.

Pete.

Those shown in "English Paper Money" only have 6 digits, but I suppose it's possible that they went over 1000000 with the serials. Unless it's 100,000? Be interesting to see a picture. Obviously if they only went up to 1m then started again with C40C then 7 digits is literally one in a million. I can ask Pam West if you like Mike? I was emailing her over the last week about something else.

In Australia at least 1000000 were "one in a million" with all other notes having 6 digits. The 1000000 notes were created from an extra sheet with serial number 100000 which was guillotined and then each note had an extra zero added with a small manual press.

The reason was so that there would be an even number of notes, and, when it came to bundling, the number of notes could quickly and easily be counted by looking at the serials of the first and last notes and subtracting.

I assume a similar thing happened in England.

Pam said she'd pay £60 for it. And Pam is always very fair.

That seems ok with regards the price.Maybe i was being a bit low although having just looked at some auction results £40 + seems about right and suppose collectors of good numbers will always pay more regardless of condition.

Pete.

Yes, I thought that was a good price. Obviously Pam probably has a customer that buys round number notes and she'll make a bit on it, but I wouldn't have thought an unreasonable amount.

Yes, I thought that was a good price. Obviously Pam probably has a customer that buys round number notes and she'll make a bit on it, but I wouldn't have thought an unreasonable amount.

probably in the correct range....

I would offer $100 US as a curiousity...

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

thanks everyone for your assistance. I'll feed back to the wife (as it was her grandfathers note) and let you know!