British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Jordan0693

Circulating coins to keep an eye out for?

Does anybody know any circulating coins to search for, I.e any with known errors, low mintages, anything really

1983 two pence labelled as a New Pence, the undated 20p, 50p of the EEC, 50p of the Olympics, 50p of the Kew Gardens. There are many error coins but each is unique so look for things like spelling errors.

Are their any spelling error coins about?, I've never heard of any.

Are you sending yourself up? :D

There's a spelling error in your question. Chris is just pulling your leg.

There's a spelling error in your question. Chris is just pulling your leg.

;)

The Kew Gardens 50p would probably be the best find - Prax covered all of the better coins in his post.

If you're looking for a spelling error the the Guy Fawkes £2 coin has one: “Pemember, Pemember the Fifth of November" instead of “Remember, Remember”.

The Kew Gardens 50p would probably be the best find - Prax covered all of the better coins in his post.

If you're looking for a spelling error the the Guy Fawkes £2 coin has one: “Pemember, Pemember the Fifth of November" instead of “Remember, Remember”.

No, it's not a spelling error. It's just a weakly struck R and therefore not very interesting or significant.

No, it's not a spelling error. It's just a weakly struck R and therefore not very interesting or significant.

People may find it very interesting whether it's significant or not. We will all be at different stages of collecting and what may seem completely pointless to someone may be a great starting point for someone else.

It may well be a weakly stuck R but it certainly looks like a P.

$_35.JPG

Yes your right .The forum is called pre decimal ? The coins are garbage weather its a P or H or K its no interest and rubbish.Sorry but no idea of the imput to PRE DECIMAL FORUM

It's a forum on a site that's called predecimal but it doesn't state that only predecimal subjects can be talked about, plus he sells decimal coins so the whole 'its called predecimal so don't talk about decimal' argument doesn't really work.

• Like 1

All posts are welcome here, whether they are related to UK or foreign numismatics, pre- or post-decimal :) ... it is fair to say that the bulk of the expertise will be in the pre-decimal UK arena

• Like 1

I collect decimal 'garbage'! The site owner also sells decimal garbage, and even produces/writes price guides on the subject.

With some of the decimals selling upwards of a £1000 I don't think they can be overlooked. Also, we are not so far from seeing the first decimals reaching a half-century.

I know your PEMEMBER coin didn't draw out too much interest, but keep bringing it on!

The post was not meant to offend ,the coin in question is GARBAGE thousands available .It is not scarce and not worth anything more than face value.I am the first to appreciate errors and have a few but that is not one.Keep buying GARBAGE and be lucky coinery.Jordan keep posting and looking for a coin thats unusual

People may find it very interesting whether it's significant or not. We will all be at different stages of collecting and what may seem completely pointless to someone may be a great starting point for someone else.

$_35.JPG

I certainly didn't mean to sound dismissive. It's just that often we get people whose hopes have been raised elsewhere and think they have a great and valuable rarity - it isn't fun to tell them they have something pretty worthless. If the PEMEMBER coins float your boat then of course they are worth having. As long as you are realistic about their value, is all.

Have to confess it doesn't look at first hand like a blocked R as the milling goes right up to the bottom of the P loop.

Have to confess it doesn't look at first hand like a blocked R as the milling goes right up to the bottom of the P loop.

Interesting point, that!

$_35.JPG

I certainly didn't mean to sound dismissive. It's just that often we get people whose hopes have been raised elsewhere and think they have a great and valuable rarity - it isn't fun to tell them they have something pretty worthless. If the PEMEMBER coins float your boat then of course they are worth having. As long as you are realistic about their value, is all.

I totally understand but his question was not about value, he was just asking if there were any spelling errors in circulation.

The coin itself is of no interest to me but decimal coins were my starting point, so I can appreciate the question. People, like me who have a hundredth of the knowledge of a lot of users on here visit this forum as a place of information and research. Comments like the one from our friend PWA 1967 can be off putting for new comers and make people feel like a bit of an idiot, when all they are trying to do is get some information.

Anyway, all that said I'm glad more experienced users like yourself Paulus and Coinery explained further.

The £2 coin is certainly not garbage as it can buy a can of Gin & Tonic!

Edited by pauldd100

That's what I thought. Some places it looks like a spelling mistake but others it does look like an error with the strike or a bad strike.

5991126_f520.jpg$_35.JPG

The left one now looks like a blocked R, or more specifically a broken R as it must be raised on the collar.