British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Rob

Help for the digitally challenged please

Thanks. As ever with computers, if you don't know the exact name, filename, or whatever, you're screwed. If I search for 'This PC' it goes straight there. Now all they have to do is communicate the differences to stop illiterates like me asking stupid simple questions. Or better still leave names unchanged.

Out of all the upgrades from microsoft W10 is the worse. I bloody hate it. I wish I had never changed from windows 7.W10 puts your files and pictures in multiple directories by default. you have your PC name joe bloggs, then whatever your microsoft account name is under Ivor Shed, and onedrive even if you don't use it will store everything where it feels like and remind you what you have even if you didn't want it. esp pictures. "look what we have done for you " yes you f****d it up good and proper. Its invasive and a spy tool for advertising and to collect as much info on you as possible for microsoft to sell to the highest bidder. Google Chrome is another government/police watchdog and constantly finds an opportunity to make you click I agree to whatever they thought of next. they don't support flash. Used to be a solid secure browser not anymore. their search parameters are pathetic at best. Unless you actually put the exact wording you can end up anywhere and even if you put the exact wording you end up anywhere it is utter garbage as a search tool. Who ever sponsors them the most is where you will end up regardless of what you type. This PC isn't even in the main menu from the window icon. you have to go in to File explorer and you see it listed there. I have pinned to the taskbar File explorer and control panel. It is the only way i can find what I want quickly

macfamily-productnav-imac_2x.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peckris said:

macfamily-productnav-imac_2x.png

how spooky is that. my screen background as well :o

• Like 2

On 5/27/2018 at 11:23 PM, Rob said:

Thanks. As ever with computers, if you don't know the exact name, filename, or whatever, you're screwed. If I search for 'This PC' it goes straight there. Now all they have to do is communicate the differences to stop illiterates like me asking stupid simple questions. Or better still leave names unchanged.

I agree that much of it is distinctly not user friendly. There are so many different variations on a theme out there, and so many incompatibilities, that seemingly simple things like say, installing a wireless printer, can be rendered time consuming and complex, even for those with prior knowledge. It doesn't help that guidance often seems to be written by those whose first language is not English. Even at best you can be confounded by a step by step guide, as the item referred to in a drop down menu is no longer there because of a recent change, with the guidance left as it was for the old system.

Those in the industry seem to have lost sight of attempting to make life easy for the end user 

23 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Out of all the upgrades from microsoft W10 is the worse. I bloody hate it. I wish I had never changed from windows 7.

After countless prompts I eventually "updated" to Windows 10. I put it back to Windows 7 after about 10 minutes. :)

I went to Windows 10 and have not looked back since on 3 pc's of various ages and configurations. It is stable and does what I need. A lot of the gripes are down to user error over anything else.

7 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

After countless prompts I eventually "updated" to Windows 10. I put it back to Windows 7 after about 10 minutes. :)

Same here. I was perfectly OK with Windows XP to be honest, but when that was no longer supported I replaced with Windows 7, which is a slightly enhanced version of XP.   

We've got Windows 10 at work, the adverse experiences of which made me decide on the Windows 7 route.

i did the exact same thing 

Printer I gave up. I have had lots of printers and it was just so simple plug in run the test and you're good to go. Now the printer gets split in to two parts and online printer and a static printer that prints from info on the pc . Why do this? . I bought 5 brand new printers the all in one HP as thats what my old PC was . All of them were useless. None worked had to send them back as they had faults. One kept telling me I had a paper jam when there wasn't any paper in it lol. One I had to download drivers from a completely different model to get it to work . For it to just stop working altogether. I have one on my pc now I have never used and it is brand new just refuses to print. I should of sent it back but I had reached boiling point by then and injury was looking for a home :lol:. So I have lost the will with printers now that they have made them far too techy.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Printer I gave up. I have had lots of printers and it was just so simple plug in run the test and you're good to go. Now the printer gets split in to two parts and online printer and a static printer that prints from info on the pc . Why do this? . I bought 5 brand new printers the all in one HP as thats what my old PC was . All of them were useless. None worked had to send them back as they had faults. One kept telling me I had a paper jam when there wasn't any paper in it lol. One I had to download drivers from a completely different model to get it to work . For it to just stop working altogether. I have one on my pc now I have never used and it is brand new just refuses to print. I should of sent it back but I had reached boiling point by then and injury was looking for a home :lol:. So I have lost the will with printers now that they have made them far too techy.

It reached the stage for me where if I wanted anything printing off, I was consigned to e mailing it to work, and printing it off there.

I have finally got one to work. It's supposed to be wireless, but in the end I had to connect it with wires to my main PC. That's the only way the sodding thing will work.

I'm not sure why everyone else is having so many problems! I have been on Windows 10 for a couple of years and find it fine. (I did put a link to the File manager into the tabs at the bottom as a first move - can't work out why they want to make managing your files so difficult.) I have an HP printer that works fine wirelessly, as is the broadband. I even have a wireless speaker through which I play all my music from the laptop.

You must have said something rude to Cortana and it has never forgiven you! :D

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I'm not sure why everyone else is having so many problems! I have been on Windows 10 for a couple of years and find it fine. (I did put a link to the File manager into the tabs at the bottom as a first move - can't work out why they want to make managing your files so difficult.) I have an HP printer that works fine wirelessly, as is the broadband. I even have a wireless speaker through which I play all my music from the laptop.

You must have said something rude to Cortana and it has never forgiven you! :D

I'm ok with gadgets I have a gaming PC and most of my stuff is wireless or health risk being garotted by wires could ensue :lol: many a time I have got up and forgot my headphones were jacked in almost whiplashed myself lol. it's just the sodding printer that will not play ball. Plus I don't like windows 10 taking over the pc and arranging things in some god forsaken order best known to themselves without my permission . If I had wanted every coin to be out of order in denomination and country I can do that myself. Now it has rearranged the folders and some have just gone after the last update the Austria folder has gone and not even on the PC. So all those hundreds of pictures were a waste of time. No wonder Gates has naffed off and gone in to crypto currency he has seen the shortcomings of microsoft and jumped ship.

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

No wonder Gates has naffed off and gone in to crypto currency he has seen the shortcomings of microsoft and jumped ship.

Where have you been? Gates handed over to Ballmer (now it's someone else) around the Millennium!

7 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Same here. I was perfectly OK with Windows XP to be honest, but when that was no longer supported I replaced with Windows 7, which is a slightly enhanced version of XP.   

We've got Windows 10 at work, the adverse experiences of which made me decide on the Windows 7 route.

I have to have mine in Windows “Classic” mode or I can’t cope. :D

Good news! I just had number 4 here on a surprise visit and he has restored the old bookmarks by somehow resurrecting the old ones used with Firefox before the update  - hooray! :)

Downside though is that I can't log into the wife's eBay. :(  It thinks she is logging in but won't recognise her password. Bring back Windows 7 with its cookie clearing facility so I can start with a clean sheet. I'm losing the will to live.

8 hours ago, Rob said:

Good news! I just had number 4 here on a surprise visit and he has restored the old bookmarks by somehow resurrecting the old ones used with Firefox before the update  - hooray! :)

Downside though is that I can't log into the wife's eBay. :(  It thinks she is logging in but won't recognise her password. Bring back Windows 7 with its cookie clearing facility so I can start with a clean sheet. I'm losing the will to live.

Rob, make a backup of your bookmarks. Plenty of guides on youtube on how to back them up in Edge, Chrome, Firefox etc so you can restore them when needed.

10 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

Rob, make a backup of your bookmarks. Plenty of guides on youtube on how to back them up in Edge, Chrome, Firefox etc so you can restore them when needed.

Alternatively on Chrome, if you log on using a gmail account you can set it to synchronise all - then if you lose everything, when you log back into Chrome on a new machine it automatically reloads all your bookmarks, browsing history, stored passwords - the lot. Came to my rescue when my machine went dulally last week.

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Alternatively on Chrome, if you log on using a gmail account you can set it to synchronise all - then if you lose everything, when you log back into Chrome on a new machine it automatically reloads all your bookmarks, browsing history, stored passwords - the lot. Came to my rescue when my machine went dulally last week.

Same with iCloud on Macs - though I do find Apple a tad less 'snoopy' than Google.

It's ok saying synchronise Chrome with Google and Firefox etc, but where does it store the bookmark info? The safest way to protect info surely has to be when you do it yourself? If I let Google save it, they will just spam me with crap related to my deposited data, just like any other digital company that gets its revenue from advertising.

No.1 has already changed the email account to gmail and changed the internet explorer program to Chrome from Firefox, but will have to ask if they are linked when he is back on shore as I don't have any control over these things.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

It's ok saying synchronise Chrome with Google and Firefox etc, but where does it store the bookmark info? The safest way to protect info surely has to be when you do it yourself? If I let Google save it, they will just spam me with crap related to my deposited data, just like any other digital company that gets its revenue from advertising.

No.1 has already changed the email account to gmail and changed the internet explorer program to Chrome from Firefox, but will have to ask if they are linked when he is back on shore as I don't have any control over these things.

Well I use Chrome and Google all the time, and I can't say I have suffered anymore spam than usual. In fact Gmail is particularly good at filtering out spam emails.

The problem with doing your own hard backups is that invariably the disaster strikes when you haven't backed up for a while. Using Chrome logged in on gmail the backup is constant and bang up to date and available from any other machine. So, for example, you could go to the local library, log into gmail, and immediately have all your "home" bookmarks available. The info is all on "the cloud" and not tied to any one machine.

Mobile phone query for a change - not a pressing issue.

Virgin in their wisdom have decided to increase my rolling monthly contract by 7% from £5.84 to £6.25 a month for the first time in years. I moaned about it as I never use the internet and calls are rarely over a couple hours a month which is well within the included time. They said I could go back to the previous cost only if I went onto a 12 month contract with 150% more phone minutes and some larger internet allowance. As more isn't less unless there is a catch, the question is what is it? Do companies arbitrarily triple or whatever the cost at the end of the contract in the hope you are too lazy to move, or randomly increase it in the middle of the period. I'm assuming the idea behind getting me to change is to increase their revenues in some roundabout way, but can't see an obvious method. Clearly any reduction in costs is a plus, but not if the expense is future pain. Anyone with experience in this department, or any suggestions? Ta.

Virgin do this all the time, but yes - a 12 month contract is what it says. Virgin are trying to scrap a lot of their older contracts - many are only 2g or 3g so the coverage isn't great on them. By switching you should be able to get a 4g sim and better coverage but do remember to add a calendar event so you get reminded when it's up, as they'll knock off any loyaly discount and it'd probably jump to about £10 or 11 / month - something worth checking before you commit to it!

OK, thanks. I still can't see what they get out of it though. 12 months at a reduced price is reduced income in my eyes. Any projected figures 12 months down the line are immaterial, as in February they said they weren't going to increase prices - yeh, right. Probably worth staying put in case they only have contracts at double the going rate in a year's time. My steam powered phone is more than adequate for my needs.

I had a friend with an Orange contract that they had stuffed up on - he was paying just the mobile but had broadband AND Landline as well. Orange had agreed the contract and so could not back out. They kept offering him "upgrades" at increasingly ridiculously low rates just so they could re-contract the Ts & Cs and start charging him for the broadband and landline. Even if it was peanuts at first they could later increase the charges to what they should have been all along. Needless to say, we all advised him to stay with what he had!