British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Rob

Help for the digitally challenged please

23 minutes ago, Rob said:

Thanks Nick. Any expansion on what I have to do? If not, this will be an ongoing job for willing volunteers.

I opened the page using Chrome, then pressed F12 to allow you to browse the page source.  Selecting 'Sources' then browsing the structure below 'www.baldwin.co.uk' and then 'media' until you find the image file 'BH134.jpg', of which there are two sizes - select the larger of the two.  You can then see the image and right click and save.

Thanks. That's answered a big question. Database can now be expanded - a lot. :)

A query. Why would my website report that Facebook referred a visitor to my site when I don't have an account with them? Facebook or someone at FB trying to access the account? I don't have or want anything to do with FB, so they would have no reason to do this as far as I can see and without an account I didn't ought to exist in their mind.

37 minutes ago, Rob said:

A query. Why would my website report that Facebook referred a visitor to my site when I don't have an account with them? Facebook or someone at FB trying to access the account? I don't have or want anything to do with FB, so they would have no reason to do this as far as I can see and without an account I didn't ought to exist in their mind.

This is a complete guess:

A Facebook user posts a picture of a coin.

Q: "That's nice, where did you get it?"

A: "RP Coins" https://www.rpcoins.co.uk/pages/coins

This would generate a little preview of your website with the link. If someone clicked the link, could that be a Facebook referral?

20 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

This is a complete guess:

A Facebook user posts a picture of a coin.

Q: "That's nice, where did you get it?"

A: "RP Coins" https://www.rpcoins.co.uk/pages/coins

This would generate a little preview of your website with the link. If someone clicked the link, could that be a Facebook referral?

Beat me to it, Jon. That's exactly what I would have said.  

OK, I thought you had to be a member of Facebook and a 'friend' to connect to others. Thanks, so it's not necessarily malicious and could even possibly be a sensible discussion. That hadn't occurred to me.

• Like 1

'tis only a guess Rob but hopefully it's nothing more sinister than that.

Referalls in the interweb insdustry are "where was that person when they clicked a link" .. google normally features very highly on the reports these days, but back when the internet was new MSN or Yahoo etc also had a good showing.

I guess facebook is now looged as they're starting to have a lot more sponsored ads, so traffic referalls will be monitored, as once they get figures they can convince other advertisers/businesses to spend $$ on FB sponsered ads.

Probably a whole lot more mundane than you needed to read, but this would indeed be a result of what mrbadexample describes.

On 24/02/2017 at 11:12 AM, Chingford said:

I would try running a anti virus like AVG, I have AVG and it has Computer/Web/Software/email platforms as well as an independent firewall, free to download trial account 30 days.

It should pick up any anomalies and block any intrusion

Run the free version of malwarebytes if something is lurking on your PC it will locate it. I use the pro version it's a tasty piece  of kit.

Another query.

I just had a message from google to say that some t**t called Afzal Ullah has updated my pictures by adding a picture to RP Coins. The problem is that it is a picture of a grotty 2005 St. Paul's £2. I've just wasted half an hour looking for it and can't find it on the site anywhere, but obviously it has been done for a reason. If he has replaced the rather nice 1729 silver proof halfpenny I have used for the past 12 years with a shitty £2 coin, I'm going to go spare. More importantly, WHY DO IT? Nobody in their right mind would want this as a logo, nor would they bother advertising a coin you could acquire by going to the shops. How do I get rid of it, or more importantly, how do I stop him and others like him? Or is it a case of Google helping to screw up people because they can? Not best pleased at the moment. Or is it just spam?

AF1QipOq7jep4BQ41IsBUXl0cfNkws-4qvgGOn47

Edited by Rob

I don't know the answer to your question Rob, but if it's any consolation I took a shufti at your site and don't see it. :)

New problem.

A couple weeks ago I was trying to tidy up my bookmarks by eliminating 100 or so I didn't need any more, but when right clicking and deleting it cleared all my bookmarks. :(

Is there any way of extracting bookmarks only from an old backup, or is this just wishful thinking? I don't want to go back to the last backup which was a couple of months ago as I will then lose too much data.

Ta.

What sort of backup?

Are you using Chrome for your browser? If so this from their help page may sort it:

https://support.google.com/chrome/forum/AAAAP1KN0B06oa9t7-TWa0?hl=en

If you are on another browser, try using their Help facility and search for "Recover Bookmarks".

Yes you can.  What bowser are you using and what is the operating system?

If you have a third party antivirus program or something like winutilities. they normally have a feature called file undelete or file recovery. Or a long shot if you haven't emptied your recycle bin they will be in there until you clean it just double click the bin and select the files to restore normally ctrl and select the ones you need;)

You don't have a regular backup like Apple's Time Machine, or automatically backup your stuff like browser settings to Dropbox or iCloud? The advantage with all those is you don't have to do anything yourself once set up, as any change or addition will be detected and backed up.

If not, then hopefully one or other of the suggestions made above will help.

I'm backed up onto a separate hard drive. Unfortunately I had my system updated to Windows 10 at Christmas, so no longer have 'my computer' at my disposal to look for files. I'm not sure where the drive is now other than C being the hard drive.

The browser symbol is a wheel coloured red, green, yellow and a blue centre (Google?) - no idea what it is called.

2 hours ago, Rob said:

I'm backed up onto a separate hard drive. Unfortunately I had my system updated to Windows 10 at Christmas, so no longer have 'my computer' at my disposal to look for files. I'm not sure where the drive is now other than C being the hard drive.

The browser symbol is a wheel coloured red, green, yellow and a blue centre (Google?) - no idea what it is called.

yup that's google

4 hours ago, Rob said:

It's called Chrome. It's a good browser if you don't mind Google spying on your every move. Firefox is not quite as good, but far less intrusive. There's also a very competent browser called Opera but probably not for the digitally challenged. Of course, you should stay away from Internet Explorer.. :lol:

18 minutes ago, Peckris said:

It's called Chrome. It's a good browser if you don't mind Google spying on your every move. Firefox is not quite as good, but far less intrusive. There's also a very competent browser called Opera but probably not for the digitally challenged. Of course, you should stay away from Internet Explorer.. :lol:

Even Microsoft stay away from Internet Explorer - they have switched to Edge in the hope people will forget the sins of their past. Fat hope. :wacko:

Ok, so I have Chrome. It still doesn't overcome the problem of not having 'My Computer', which I used previously as it was possible to drill down through the level and find files, whilst conveniently telling you what was a hard drive, removable or whatever. Basically, I knew where I was. Removing that ability was frankly unhelpful and I wish I could go back a version or two. 

First I need to be able to find the external hard drive, then somehow extract the bookmarks from the backed up data. Clues please.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/display-my-computer-icon-on-the-desktop-in-windows-vista/

It's now called "This PC " apparently in W10 but that article explains how you can add the icon to your desktop.