British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Rob

Help for the digitally challenged please

Why, when I try to open a pdf document does mozilla open a minimum of 500 new tabs in rapid succession, but at no point show the document I am trying to download. The only way to stop it is to keep closing Mozilla until it gives up the ghost trying to open new tabs. I don't know the maximum number it opens before stopping of its own free will, but have noticed it seems to get a bit constipated after 500 new tabs (memory issue?). This is actually a serious inconvenience as I used to print off shipping labels for parcels shipped using a courier which were sent using pdf. Solution anybody, or even better an alternative that works. If it isn't possible to use pdfs any more so be it, then I will just have to move on and find something else.

Thanks.

It sounds like an issue with the content if it is just affecting .PDFs and not other formats. Have a look here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/change-firefox-behavior-when-open-file You should be able to change the default program to open .PDFs to Adobe Reader rather than Firefox.

:) Thanks Clive. That is in the right area, even if it hasn't solved it. Now I get a thing saying activate Adobe Acrobat (which I don't have). I'll have to find the setting which allows me to use the free version rather than waste a few hundred pounds on something I won't use.

I'll have to find the setting which allows me to use the free version rather than waste a few hundred pounds on something I won't use.

Should be free: http://get.adobe.com/uk/reader/ (Be sure to untick any of those offers.)

Thank you. :)

I think we are working, just that clicking random buttons in the hope of solving a problem is like navigating in pea soup. I did avoid having the macafee downloaded which I recognise as a pain from the past.

If in doubt, try Chrome as a browser instead. ;)

False alarm - still not working. :(

I tried printing from the top bar (file drop down menu and print), but nothing happens.

Chrome isn't an option as I want to send parcels out tomorrow and none of the kids will be around to install new software for a couple of weeks. :(

A banging your head emoticon wouldn't help, but would make me feel better.

For some reason, this wouldn't accept the printout I get using the three horizontal line button and the print icon which is as follows:

Still won't. :( It is the file address of the download which won't enter as text for whatever reason, together with the date and time at the bottom. Only the useful bits are missing.

Edited by Rob

I do not follow you. Are you still opening them in Firefox or now in Adobe? Am I right in assuming you are now able to view the PDFs?

I'm still in firefox.

Normally, I book a parcel online with parcel2go, interparcel or whoever is cheapest. After I have booked it, a page comes up allowing me to print off the shipping labels - except it doesn't now. Pressing that button just sends the file into the downloads whereas it used to open so that I could view it. Clicking on the download now goes to a grey page asking me to activate adobe (which I have done at least a dozen times tonight), but still doesn't seem to recognise I have done so. Clicking on allow now enables the page, but I still can't print - see above post. :( pdf files used to have a printer icon, but that has gone.

If you are viewing it in Firefox you should be able to right-click on the labels and then print the page.

If you are viewing it in Firefox you should be able to right-click on the labels and then print the page.

Yes it does - thanks. Why would it work in different ways sometimes and not in others? Is there a set of universal instructions that work all of the time for simple actions like printing etc.? Sometime in the past, right clicking didn't work and someone suggested pressing control (forget for doing which function) and that worked in that instance. It used to be that you could print from the top line. The 3 line button is new to me. It's all far too confusing. :blink:

What we need is "third party programmers" who could check a piece of software and allocate it a grade ;)

What we need is "third party programmers" who could check a piece of software and allocate it a grade ;)

NGC - "No Good Computer" (sharp intake of breath: "sorry guv, this has had it, you'll need a new one. Sign here.. and here.. and here..")

Does anyone on here use filezilla or is familiar with it? I had to have my system rebuilt just before Christmas and unfortunately the shortcut which logged me into the 1&1 host for the uploading files to the website no longer works. :( The help files are gibberish to me. FYI I tried putting in the quick connect boxes the host I've tried 1and1.co.uk with and without www. before it - but gives the error message can't find server and times out. I've used the username and password which previously applied. Sorry, but I've spent a day or so on this and all roads lead to a brick wall. The home help is currently sitting in a boat off the Shetlands. :(

I use FileZilla, the host name usually starts with ftp. instead of www.

Try 1and1help.com as the server address.

No good. ftp looks a distinct possibility though, as when combined with 1and1help.com the server refused access with the error message ECONNREFUSED. Something must have been recognised. :) using 1and1.com without the help timed out

Actually I would say the same, mine have always been very helpful when I have the odd blonde moment

Follow the relevant link on this page for the type of FTP access you want to use.

Edited by Nick

I'm not sure that it won't be considered a filezilla problem. Anyway, I'll take your advice and see if they provide help for people who will need a translation service. Thanks chaps.

Help again please.

I've buggered up my screen settings and can't find my way back to where I was before. The bottom bar now shows the open files as individual windows instead of the infinitely more practical vertical list of file names. Before it used to look similar to the windows XP screen. Now it's just a mess. And I've got a stupid windows logo in the middle of the screen instead of the nice blank page I had before.

All sorted thanks to Chingford :)

A quickie for anyone au fait with btyahoo mail.

Been suffering a surfeit of undelivered messages (spam?) emanating from my computer of late, so suspect my computer may have something unpleasant installed. Normally I use outlook and never go into BT, but as the undeliverable messages came from bt postmaster account I assume they are genuine.

Having gone into BT, just above the start button, when I am in BT messages page on their site, I see a small icon with Jenny Downing on Flickr which I can't explain. Is she/he/it spying, or the likely source of the spam? I've never seen this before and can't delete with a right click.

Help please

I would try running a anti virus like AVG, I have AVG and it has Computer/Web/Software/email platforms as well as an independent firewall, free to download trial account 30 days.

It should pick up any anomalies and block any intrusion