British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

TomGoodheart

Feel free to congratulate me! I'm just about to join the 20th

That should of course read "20th Century" .... stupid topic titles!

Christmas was traditional this year. Which means everyone except me was playing games on their mobiles or tablets!

So Wifey has suggested that perhaps it's time for me to get a phone that connects to the internet, so when I want a cup of tea I can Viber her like everyone else, rather than shouting downstairs and frightening the cat.

640px-20090704-1971_StarTrekTOSCommunica

I've never had a contract phone before so I'm nearly really excited!

Of course as it's all new to me, I might be on here asking for tips about security and so on. After all, I don't want anyone on the ISS emailing me a spanner by mistake, do I? Or maybe I do? Oh, it' all so complicated!

Edited by TomGoodheart

Be careful what you do. When I got my last phone, I managed to run up an excess use bill of £30 over and above my 1Gb allowance despite not having used it. I got the kids to disable it, so no nasty surprises any more. The internet is useful, but not £30 a month plus whatever time you actually use useful. I might revert to a steam powered version when I get a new one.

I'll get a cap on the contract I think! At least until I know how much I'm actually going to use it.

I have 5 gig and LTE (high speed internet) if i go over that then it just slows down to 3g intetnet speed without any over usage charge

But I don't suppose your contract is £7.50 a month Dave?

Lol, no its not. Mine is with T-Mobile, the best in Germany IMO. I used one called EPLUS when i moved here and had done for 5 years, always with internet connection, then in my last contract year with them the coverage was terrible and they capped it to 500mb but it did'nt state that in the contract, when i asked about it they just said "you can buy more data" but it was never capped for the previous 4 years and so were obviously looking for cash, when the data was reached you got an sms saying it was and basically rendered the internet so slow and useless that it was pointless even having it.

Here's the funny thing though, the Frau also had the same contract as me, she was in Turkey for 3 weeks, stepped off the plane and switched on her phone and immidiately got a data reached message which was impossible as she'd never used the phone while away, so they were basically just bullshitting people into buying more imternet data.

Never once had a problem with TMOBILE and encouraged her to change providers now, she gave her notice of quit in specified timeframe and it should have gone off on the 24th and her old number transferred to the new TMOBILE contract but her old one is still active uo until now, so i know they're about to hit her with some bulshit excuse that she did'nt give enough time to quit and will try and extend it by another year as they did with me. A very poor company, but i got her a new aye phone 6+ for her christmas and i know she'll enjoy a huge difference in these companies as i've done in the last 12 months without problems

You're still a century behind....

This is the 21st Century.....

It was deliberate. It's only a budget smart phone. Lacking even the most basic teleport, time warping or terra-forming capability.

Plus to be really up-to-date it appears I'd need to understand what a Google account does or why I'd need to sync my watch to my washing machine or something. Which I don't. But it's a start.

:D

You're still a century behind....

This is the 21st Century.....

It was deliberate. It's only a budget smart phone. Lacking even the most basic teleport, time warping or terra-forming capability.

Plus to be really up-to-date it appears I'd need to understand what a Google account does or why I'd need to sync my watch to my washing machine or something. Which I don't. But it's a start.

:D

Actually, I suspected that was intentional....

Apparently, we are not alone......

That should of course read "20th Century" .... stupid topic titles!

Christmas was traditional this year. Which means everyone except me was playing games on their mobiles or tablets!

So Wifey has suggested that perhaps it's time for me to get a phone that connects to the internet, so when I want a cup of tea I can Viber her like everyone else, rather than shouting downstairs and frightening the cat.

640px-20090704-1971_StarTrekTOSCommunica

I've never had a contract phone before so I'm nearly really excited!

Of course as it's all new to me, I might be on here asking for tips about security and so on. After all, I don't want anyone on the ISS emailing me a spanner by mistake, do I? Or maybe I do? Oh, it' all so complicated!

"Frequencies open, Captain..."

"Frequencies open, Captain..."

As long as I can go "Computer..." and it does what I want, I'll be happy.

But seriously it's made me realise how much new technology can make you feel the years advancing! I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not actually getting a phone but a chunk of hardware that does pretty much everything my laptop does. More perhaps.

It's kinda amazing to me ... though of course to my daughter and her friends it's all perfectly normal that you can have your entire life on one device ...

But then perhaps I should have gotten accustomed to such things by now. I can remember being astonished when my then employer upgraded their computer system to 4GB of memory. Those 4GB took up just four small suitcase sized boxes and I thought that was amazing.

Yesterday I bought 32GB. On a micro-SD card the size of my finger nail. And which cost me less than a quarter of what I paid for my first scientific calculator ....

Makes me feel so OLD!!!

:blink:

Edited by TomGoodheart

In 1999, in a previous life I was an IT bod, I bought 500GB of disk space for my company. Took up half an airconditioned server room and cost £220,000.

This laptop's got twice that.

In 1999, in a previous life I was an IT bod, I bought 500GB of disk space for my company. Took up half an airconditioned server room and cost £220,000.

This laptop's got twice that.

Me too. Working on dumb terminals attached to an IBM mainframe. I remember our project manager stopping me on the stairs in the late 80s and announcing proudly that each programmer now had ... wait for it ... TWO GIGABYTES! of virtual storage allocated. Collapse of stout party in utter amazement - 'gigabyte' up to then being just a notional extreme, like a googolplex.

This is memory. B)

None of your modern LSI stuff. :D

post-5261-0-50389800-1419938130_thumb.jppost-5261-0-63291300-1419938159_thumb.jp

LOL Back in the day I remember my Dad building a Sinclair Micromatic radio.

Fast forward and Father-in-Law got a Raspberry Pi B for Christmas. Not much bigger than that Sinclair jobby all those years ago. Amazing!

This is memory. B)

None of your modern LSI stuff. :D

attachicon.gifMem - 001s.jpgattachicon.gifMem - 002s.jpg

I remember seeing that second picture (or similar) in a magazine or something when I was a child, and thinking "oh, so that's how computers are made, I'll make one for my bike."

So I did. It didn't do anything, but my Raleigh Commando had a computer just like that.

i'm still trying to cancel a contract with 3....bloody impossible.

Peck, 2GB back in the 80's sounds very impressive !!

Peck, 2GB back in the 80's sounds very impressive !!

Ah, but we're talking IBM mainframes here...