British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Peter

10 years and Happy Xmas

I've been on this forum for 10 yrs and may I say it has taught me so much.(Thanks to all)

I've had a difficult December with losing a best mate on 8th Dec...far too young,a few sleepless nights when I would go on the forum and meet the dawn chorus.

Every one enjoy your Christmas break and I look forward to many more years of the forum (Thanks Chris).

I shall raise a glass (Santa's tipple) tonight .CHEERS.

All the very best to you and all! I wholeheartedly agree with you re the educational benefit of this forum, some things cannot be learnt in books! Books are great, don't get me wrong, but the dynamic kind of learning you get from sticking a number of heads together is totally awesome!

Merry, Smerry, as my son is presently fond of saying! :) :) :)

I echo the sentiments - Happy Christmas everyone! And thanks to Chris for this great forum.

Agreed with the above, Now IF we could all only agree on grading The world Would be a better place (it's never going to happen) but it's always an Education learning something New On this fantastic website.

My son is in Hospital again this Christmas (his 2nd in his 6 short years) so will be cooking Xmas dinner myself And carrying it all over so that the Frau can also enjoy a little festive cheer whilst she looks after him There.

Hope everything goes all right for you Dave. :rolleyes:

My wife was in hospital Xmas Day two years ago, the only gluten free meal they could find for her Xmas Dinner was shepherds pie! So I had to do a rolling food parcel run

A very Merry Xmas to all, and a Happy New Year - lots of lovely coins to find :rolleyes:

David

Agreed with the above, Now IF we could all only agree on grading The world Would be a better place (it's never going to happen) but it's always an Education learning something New On this fantastic website.

My son is in Hospital again this Christmas (his 2nd in his 6 short years) so will be cooking Xmas dinner myself And carrying it all over so that the Frau can also enjoy a little festive cheer whilst she looks after him There.

Do your best, mate! Sending you and your family every blessing at this time. I've fortunately only ever worked in a hospital at Christmas, never been admitted to one.

Take it steady out there, Dave, will have a thought for your lad tomorrow morning! X

Thanks gents, but there's always people much worse off than we are, so lets be thankful for what we have.

Dave

Stay strong you have many friends here.

Mrs Peter was in a coma at 17 after a car crash.

She had a fit 15 years ago on Xmas day 1am.We hadn't been on the sauce and my mum was staying over.

I didn't know what the hell was happening.

Since then after Addenbrooks she has been fine,they tied it back to her coma.

It was a Xmas to forget.

I hope you,Frau & your lad can get a peaceful happy Xmas.

We are online 24/7 it seems to be. :)

God Bless you and your Family Dave. I wish your son the best!

Thanks all, but as i said, There is more around this planet worse off than we are, just enjoy the time you have with your loved ones, we are the lucky ones.

Dearest Mother,

I am writing this in the trenches in my ‘dug out’ – with a wood fire going and plenty of straw it is rather cosy, although it is freezing hard and real Christmas weather.

I think I have seen today one of the most extraordinary sights that anyone has ever seen. About 10 o’clock this morning I was peeping over the parapet when I saw a German, waving his arms, and presently two of them got out of their trench and came towards ours.

We were just going to fire on them when we saw they had no rifles, so one of our men went to meet them and in about two minutes the ground between the two lines of trenches was swarming with men and officers of both sides, shaking hands and wishing each other a happy Christmas.

This continued for about half an hour when most of the men were ordered back to the trenches. For the rest of the day nobody has fired a shot and the men have been wandering about at will on the top of the parapet and carrying straw and firewood about in the open – we have also had joint burial parties with a service for some dead, some German and some ours, who were lying out between the lines.

I don’t know how long it will go on for – I believe it was supposed to stop yesterday, but we can hear no firing going on along the front today except a little distant shelling. We are, at any rate, having another truce on New Year’s Day, as the Germans want to see how the photos come out!

The Germans in this part of the line are sportsmen if they are nothing else

written by Alfred Dougan Chater in 1914

Found at http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/24/-sp-letter-extraordinary-sights-christmas-day-first-world-war-truce

Merry Christmas and a happy new year! May be luck, peace & healthfulness with all of you :)

Edited by ChKy
  • Like 2

Dearest Mother,

I am writing this in the trenches in my dug out with a wood fire going and plenty of straw it is rather cosy, although it is freezing hard and real Christmas weather.

I think I have seen today one of the most extraordinary sights that anyone has ever seen. About 10 oclock this morning I was peeping over the parapet when I saw a German, waving his arms, and presently two of them got out of their trench and came towards ours.

We were just going to fire on them when we saw they had no rifles, so one of our men went to meet them and in about two minutes the ground between the two lines of trenches was swarming with men and officers of both sides, shaking hands and wishing each other a happy Christmas.

This continued for about half an hour when most of the men were ordered back to the trenches. For the rest of the day nobody has fired a shot and the men have been wandering about at will on the top of the parapet and carrying straw and firewood about in the open we have also had joint burial parties with a service for some dead, some German and some ours, who were lying out between the lines.

I dont know how long it will go on for I believe it was supposed to stop yesterday, but we can hear no firing going on along the front today except a little distant shelling. We are, at any rate, having another truce on New Years Day, as the Germans want to see how the photos come out!

The Germans in this part of the line are sportsmen if they are nothing else

written by Alfred Dougan Chater in 1914

Found at http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/24/-sp-letter-extraordinary-sights-christmas-day-first-world-war-truce

Merry Christmas and a happy new year! May be luck, peace & healthfulness with all of you :)

Brilliant! Just said to my wife 'remind me to read you something lovely about the trenches,' as she was watching a film with the lad! Amazing thing is, she knew exactly what I meant when I said 'trenches'! Not a place where builders repair roads, not a ditch at the side of a road...amazing that after more than a 100 years the term still means the same to everyone!

Lovely story, thank-you!

Here's to nations re-joined! Just peace to bring upon the whole world to go! Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas all! Last shift finished, so any comments from me are likely to get less an less coherent as the evening goes on!

(Apologies for assuming they are normally cogent. But there's no need to disabuse me. I'm happy to remain ignorant on that point!) :D

It is now time to say Merry Christmas to all.

Hurrah!

Mr Scruff and Carlsberg Special Brew. Ranks right up there with the best.

lineup.png

Edited by declanwmagee

I'm having one more beer tonight and then it is time for bed.

Edited by Peter

Lol i remember getting up at that time as a father and as a child, in fact i used to get the kids up :D

Anyone beat 03:50 for a Christmas Day start?

Oh, man, kids! :)

Presumably Santa has difficulty getting down the chimney on a barge? And certainly struggled to find a place to hide things.

Merry Xmas!

Breakfast. :D

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Merry Christmas all!