British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coinery

A/UNC 1754 Farthing

The reverse certainly looks to have wear on the high points, doesn't it. Nice obverse though.

For what it's worth, here's mine. My reverse also shows lack of detail/die fill on Britannia's head, but the rest looks markedly better.

post-381-0-13911500-1419160802_thumb.jpg

For what it's worth, here's mine. My reverse also shows lack of detail/die fill on Britannia's head, but the rest looks markedly better.

Infinitely better, I'd say!

Not perfect though by a long stretch. These dies tend to appear in a fairly knackered state with either a load of rust spots or die fill. They must have been used to destruction, but at some point were new, so someone should have an example of what they are supposed to look like.

It's quite possible that the force used in striking was insufficient to fill the die, as a lot of the halfpennies are very weak on Britannia's head and in the laurel area of G2. I think in this series you will need a full lustre example in hand to determine whether the cause for weakness is strike or a filled die unless the weakness is out of proportion to the rest of the design.

Not perfect though by a long stretch. These dies tend to appear in a fairly knackered state with either a load of rust spots or die fill. They must have been used to destruction, but at some point were new, so someone should have an example of what they are supposed to look like.

It's quite possible that the force used in striking was insufficient to fill the die, as a lot of the halfpennies are very weak on Britannia's head and in the laurel area of G2. I think in this series you will need a full lustre example in hand to determine whether the cause for weakness is strike or a filled die unless the weakness is out of proportion to the rest of the design.

True, however the coin that started this thread does look over graded at AU or CGS 70.

Not for the first time that you will find errors in what is supposedly a superior form of grading. Of course inconsistencies can be found everywhere, but if you set yourself up, well the omissions are that much more glaring.

Mark

Edited by sound

Ahhhhh the sharkster. He was found to be a little dishonest with his "private bidding" and subsequently changed to BINs when questioned about 1 person bidding on 20 of his items. Just saying

Ahhhhh the sharkster. He was found to be a little dishonest with his "private bidding" and subsequently changed to BINs when questioned about 1 person bidding on 20 of his items. Just saying

At least it's not possible to shill BINs .... is it????

Lol, no, but his other auctions were

Yes, I'd say so too. :)

There are weaknesses both sides of the CGS example. But as Rob says, the dies were used to destruction: 1754 copper, and 1758 shillings, were minted long after, probably well into Geo III reign.

Not the best photos, but my example is fully struck up on the Reverse, although has metal flow issues

post-836-0-06741800-1419249366_thumb.jpg

Not the best photos, but my example is fully struck up on the Reverse, although has metal flow issues

What did CGS give that one? Very nice!

Nice.

Nice.

It's good that we all see the faults in our coins, as it allows us to be objective rather than thinking the sun shines out of our collecting ar*es.