British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I'm struggling to see tooth-size variation in my early GV florins, for which 1914 apparently has two types.

Looking through 1911 to 1919, I think I see a subtle change (small teeth pre-1914; large teeth post-1914), but I'm not convinced! Can anyone help? Alternatively, is one of the 1914 types completely novel, and all other years the same?

You are right to identify the later coins as having larger teeth, and the changeover did take place in 1914, but I find it a lot easier to use pointings as they are independent of wear and require less judgement to come to an identification.

If you are interested in this level of varieties, I cannot recommend Dave Groom's books strongly enough...

1914 florins have three reverses:

Rev C (1913-1914)
Crown on harp's shield points at a bead
N of FLORIN closer to shield
L of FLORIN between beads
F of FLORIN below L
smaller beads

Rev D (1914 only)
Crown on harp's shield points at a bead
N of FLORIN equidistant between shield & beads
L of FLORIN between beads
F of FLORIN below L
smaller beads

Scarcest

Rev E (1914-1924)
Crown on harp's shield between beads
N of FLORIN very close to shield
L of FLORIN points at a bead
F of FLORIN level with L
larger beads

Commonest

hope that's helpful!

• Like 1

Downloaded Dave Groom's book and most instructive it is. Keep up the good work perhaps one for the 19th C ?