British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

tankist64

one penny 1921 and 1967

Hi

At once I am sorry for my English, I write with the help of Google translator.

I ask for help from the experts, I think first of all from the UK.

I came across these two coins (one penny 1921 and 1967). They are both made of white metal (such as copper - nickel). But in catalog Krause says "Composition: Bronze" (KM # 810 and KM # 897). Ie color coins should be red-brown but not white. Option fakes think possible to rule out - well, what meaning to counterfeit 1p. I know that there are a variety of coin minting errors. Met whether anyone similar coins? I met for the first time are not seen and at auctions.

Many thanks in advance.

Alex.

PS: Necessary photo - provided later. Now for technical reasons can not.

Please at least weigh the coins. Occasionally even the copper alloy can oxidize to rather different appearance. I have quite a few of the off metal penny strikes and 1967 is a relatively common date for them. The 1921 not so much. Where are you located? You can PM me pictures if you like.

Could be silvered?

Second that. It can be dipped. The fact that you have two pennies in white makes it more likely.

There are some proofs struck in silver but these are extremely scarce.

Photos could help.

Regards,

Prax

I apologize for the delay in answering, was at work. And thank you for your interest in my topic.

As promised - a photo (the first - for clarity as set my camera).

post-8575-0-96674200-1418566722_thumb.jp

It shows circulation marks which it would not if it had originally been any white metal. I would imagine it's just mercury plated, a common schoolboy experiment and most accumulations of pennies has at least a few "silvered" coins in it.

Luv from Dave

Yes. They look dipped. Unusual, but nothing rare.

Missing photos.

Sorry to disappoint but I will go with what the others have said.

That said the 1967 seems to be done a lot better than the others.

There are a few scratches on it but there is no underlying signs of another metal. Usually if the coin were dipped a scratch to it would reveal the surface underneath to be in a different colour. In this case that is not the case so either the dipping took place after the soin got its scratches or it is perhaps a rare coin. It does not by any means look like a proof coin.

So I would take to 1967 coin to someone for inspection, but keep your hopes low. There is a slim (very slim in fact less than 1% but still a chance) chance that this is big. The others I am afraid are staring in your face as dipped coins.

Welcome to the hood and happy collecting.

I would think one give away is that an off-metal strike is unlikely to have seen any circulation as it would have been hooked out as a curiousity almost immediatly.

I would think one give away is that an off-metal strike is unlikely to have seen any circulation as it would have been hooked out as a curiousity almost immediatly.

Very good point!

I have an 1936 that looks a bit similar to your earlier 1921 coin that evidently had some cancellation stamp to it. Is that a hint of copper at 8 o'clock on the obverse rim of the 1967?

I don't think it would be the end of the world to judiciously lightly scratch the edge of either or both to test for underlying metal (usu parallel to the edge of the coin, NOT crosswise to the edge).

Based on the photos, IMO the first may be a counterfeit & the second may be real. The first in worn condition much more problematic for at least some of the reasons already stated above.

For argument sake, assuming GENUINE which is a reach, the values of the second would be less than 50 quid IMO for the second and a bit less for the first.

Edited by VickySilver

Oh well. As a result of weighing coins. And on advice from respected Prax (lightly scratch the edge). Is necessary to ascertain that there is not even 1% of what it is rare coins. Having made small scratches - manifested itself bronze color. Most likely someone in childhood has not played enough.

Thank you all for replies in the subject and successes in collecting.

I think the topic is closed.