British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coinery

A couple of bits and bobs for sale!

EdwardVI tower penny winning bidder t**s 1,343

Liz I 3 farthings a**d 781

Liz shilling I**I 102

Liz Penny t*+s 1,343 he's also winning the first

Half Sov o**c 510

Eddie base penny n**o 417

James Shilling a**e 1,098

;)

Edited by azda

Another 15 starting tonight (G3 farthings, Liz 6ds, 1930 HC, and a few more Lizzies), and then that's yer lot for now! :rolleyes:

Now there's a man who knows his way around eBay! ;)

Its an apple Trick ;)

Oh yes, poor Richard is well compromised ... on the one hand he is pleased that hammered and especially C1 is increasingly popular on this Forum, on the other he doesn't want competition for any rarities / niceties that may appear ... a common dilemma with all collectors who want to share on-line perhaps? :D:D

Only teasing TG!

LOL

Just means I have to work a bit harder to keep ahead of the crowd!

:ph34r:

EdwardVI tower penny winning bidder t**s 1,343

Liz I 3 farthings a**d 781

Liz shilling I**I 102

Liz Penny t*+s 1,343 he's also winning the first

Half Sov o**c 510

Eddie base penny n**o 417

James Shilling a**e 1,098

;)

Any quality in the above, and if so is there a link to save me ploughing through a few thousand hammered lots? Thanks.

Is that an Ed.VI or Eliz.1 half sovereign?

Edited by Rob

Here's the link Rob, some nice bits in my opinion, particularly the James I shilling:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2562

Stuart says he is listing some more this evening

OK, so that's it for this side of Christmas! The G5 1930 Halfcrown has just listed, and that was the final coin of the day! :)

Shame about the sword 3d reverse. :(

Isn't it ever! Definitely one to cry about!

reverse was struck by a drunk

Yes, it's a real shame! However, if the reverse was anything like the obverse, it would never have made it onto the market in my lifetime. The Sword's an uncommon mark too, to have the mark, and a good reverse strike combined, would've been a jewel to be held.

Yes, it's a real shame! However, if the reverse was anything like the obverse, it would never have made it onto the market in my lifetime. The Sword's an uncommon mark too, to have the mark, and a good reverse strike combined, would've been a jewel to be held.

That's a potentially obvious, but sometimes ignored point Stuart, if the coin was more perfect, you would never have acquired it, because it might never have come to market or have been too expensive for your budget at the time ... can't we kind of say the same for all the coins in our collections?

That's a potentially obvious, but sometimes ignored point Stuart, if the coin was more perfect, you would never have acquired it, because it might never have come to market or have been too expensive for your budget at the time ... can't we kind of say the same for all the coins in our collections?
Yes, I'd say that's true, as it would only be a deceased estate, or an important collection put together by an advanced collector who'd reason to break it up, that such coins ever become available. You only realise when you start looking around for those perfect coins, how very few there are!

Yes, I'd say that's true, as it would only be a deceased estate, or an important collection put together by an advanced collector who'd reason to break it up, that such coins ever become available. You only realise when you start looking around for those perfect coins, how very few there are!

The very scarcest coins in high grades seem increasingly unavailable, whatever you collect ... on my list for ever has been any example of an elephant or elephant and castle below, any denomination, any reign ... those that turn up do not have the eye appeal and/or cost a re-mortgage ... some good stuff is still out there (hammered included), but it's harder to find.

Quality, choice coins? A tiny fraction of a percent of the total available...........tops

Rob, is there another route, other than auctions, dealers and on-line web sites? How on earth do you even start a project to obtain that particular coin, if it is not through networking .. guess I have just answered my own question!

But a very revealing answer, thank you :)

metal detector and a shovel maybe ....

Rob, is there another route, other than auctions, dealers and on-line web sites? How on earth do you even start a project to obtain that particular coin, if it is not through networking .. guess I have just answered my own question!

Do your homework and move when the time is right. All routes are valid. Networking is less obvious than the other three, but can only work if the word is out that you want a particular piece. The down-side is that it will cost you. It is little wonder that the top pieces are flying. The best and the rest has always applied. Conditional rarity is far more important than a value in Spink, CMV or wherever.

In terms of numbers, you have to bear in mind those included in the bulk lots. Tens, hundreds or even thousands of low grade tat that really ought to be properly sorted and then recycled. Taken in that context, a VF coin is actually quite high up the chart in terms of quality.

Edited by Rob

Do your homework and move when the time is right. All routes are valid. Networking is less obvious than the other three, but can only work if the word is out that you want a particular piece. The down-side is that it will cost you. It is little wonder that the top pieces are flying. The best and the rest has always applied. Conditional rarity is far more important than a value in Spink, CMV or wherever.

;)

Another 15 starting tonight (G3 farthings, Liz 6ds, 1930 HC, and a few more Lizzies), and then that's yer lot for now! :rolleyes:

Nice 1930 HC pretty scarce in that grade

Nice 1930 HC pretty scarce in that grade
I've seen a lot worse, that's for certain! It's nice for having a lot of lustre still! :)