British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coinery

A couple of bits and bobs for sale!

OK, if only to get eBay throwing my .99p starts to the top of the pile because you've clicked on the link, I add this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/george-coins/m.html?item=331409764825&hash=item4d298fb1d9&pt=UK_Coins_BritishHammered_RL&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Maybe of interest, and likely to go cheap are a Brit error halfpenny (and a W&M unbarred Maria farthing...Scott et al.), a slabbed C2 '74 farthing, and a Lockett/Asherson provenanced James I Trefoil shilling.

Some nice things on there Stuart. No doubt I'll be chancing my arm...

Here's a thing worthy of debate though: (TPG alert! No reflection on your good self.)

The 1674 farthing you've listed has been slabbed at AU55. Attached are images of one of my 1674s. Not quite as good as yours, but not far off. I posted this on the forum a few months ago and general opinion graded it at Fine to Near Very Fine.

The TPG debate rumbles on……….

post-8388-0-59738300-1418161195_thumb.jp

post-8388-0-37689800-1418161226_thumb.jp

PS:

Cost me 40 quid, but I was lucky. ;)

Some nice things on there Stuart. No doubt I'll be chancing my arm...

Here's a thing worthy of debate though: (TPG alert! No reflection on your good self.)

The 1674 farthing you've listed has been slabbed at AU55. Attached are images of one of my 1674s. Not quite as good as yours, but not far off. I posted this on the forum a few months ago and general opinion graded it at Fine to Near Very Fine.

The TPG debate rumbles on……….

attachicon.gif2014-12-09 21.18.54.jpg

attachicon.gif2014-12-09 21.19.09.jpg

Totally agree with you! I would guess however that the farthing I'm selling got its grade on account of the lustre, which sits pretty high on (and over, in some instances) the devices (in places which would ordinarily appear to be wear)? My honest thoughts are the coin has been struck from a worn/knackered/corroded die, and maybe weakly so too?

Indeed, these blinking TPGCs! :)

Oh........"Some nice things on there Stuart." :wacko:

Edited by Coinery

PS:

Hey, get bidding, you might get lucky again and win yourself a lovely entombed piece of copper? :blink::)

PS:

Hey, get bidding, you might get lucky again and win yourself a lovely entombed piece of copper? :blink::)

I'll have to wait and see what I have left once all the Christmas prezzies have been paid for :D.

Some nice coins Stuart.I will have to stay off the Sherry so I don't bid too high. :)

Can i ask coinery with all your nice coins why you use a private listing.Surely that may put people off and cant see any benefits?

Can i ask coinery with all your nice coins why you use a private listing.Surely that may put people off and cant see any benefits?

I know it's not popular with some, PWA, but it's something I've always done since selling driftwood, and historical artefact design, ideas (amongst others, and a lot of years ago, now) that were very often picked-up and replicated when eBay was in its infancy! I don't blame anyone for that, I used to surf eBay all the time, looking for ingenious ideas too. I'd trawl through others' feedback and go 'wow, £50 for that? And look, £62 for that one?' Etc.

Also, whilst on this occasion I forgot to watermark my images with sales@george-coins.co.uk (which I usually do), I'd say I'm pretty much transparent, and most people are able to find and contact me if they desired?

I'm not sure why it would put anyone off, although I've heard it does, as any purchaser gets a chance to look at feedback comments, business information of the seller, etc. etc.

Ah, well! :)

Actually, you've got me thinking now...why does it put people off?

Another imponderable which sits happily alongside questions such as 'Why do people lose all reason when bidding on eBay?', or why do people ask if they paid too much for something? surely they should have an idea of approximate market value even though we all know they don't.

I know it's not popular with some, PWA, but it's something I've always done since selling driftwood, and historical artefact design, ideas (amongst others, and a lot of years ago, now) that were very often picked-up and replicated when eBay was in its infancy! I don't blame anyone for that, I used to surf eBay all the time, looking for ingenious ideas too. I'd trawl through others' feedback and go 'wow, £50 for that? And look, £62 for that one?' Etc.

Also, whilst on this occasion I forgot to watermark my images with sales@george-coins.co.uk (which I usually do), I'd say I'm pretty much transparent, and most people are able to find and contact me if they desired?

I'm not sure why it would put anyone off, although I've heard it does, as any purchaser gets a chance to look at feedback comments, business information of the seller, etc. etc.

Ah, well! :)

Actually, you've got me thinking now...why does it put people off?

I don't really know (if not private), but maybe it helps identify shilling activity, and you can sometimes identify the bidder from his/her abbreviated eBay id, if you have made a note of some of them previously? Also, you can tell how many unique bidders there are, on a non-private listing ...

What benefit from knowing how many unique bidders, though? Because, as Rob effectively says above, a bid's a bid...a coin bought in an auction house is a private listing, and also has an undisclosed number of bidders until the hammer falls?

Oh, and not forgetting :) honestly! :)

Most proper auctions will have 3 or fewer active room bidders, with an unknown number of book bids.

I should add, of course, that an auction house could be seen as an endorsement, but, equally, eBay packs a pretty punch in favour of the buyer nowadays, so is as much an endorsement as the aforementioned...privately listed or not.

Most proper auctions will have 3 or fewer active room bidders, with an unknown number of book bids.

And to be honest, re unique bidders, knowing the number of assailants doesn't help one little bit in whether you win the coin or not. Or, for that matter, how much you bid as, in all reality, you only have your top bid, and the top bid of one other person to contend with!

And to be honest, re unique bidders, knowing the number of assailants doesn't help one little bit in whether you win the coin or not. Or, for that matter, how much you bid as, in all reality, you only have your top bid, and the top bid of one other person to contend with!

Once eBay ok'd shill bidding by hiding identities, knowing the bidder or not became somewhat irrelevant.

Absolutely! Whilst nobody on high could ever admit it, shill bidding is in eBay's best interest! If they can make it more difficult to detect, without crossing any boundaries, why wouldn't they?

Hey, ho! :)

I was just guessing why some people might not like private listings, it doesn't bother me in the slightest!

I was just guessing why some people might not like private listings, it doesn't bother me in the slightest!

Of course, I knew you were just throwing ideas at it, young Paulus! :)

I do appreciate it, you know! ❤️ :D

And, by the way, your C1 shilling is full-on eye candy, one of the most pleasingly balanced reverses I've seen, really nice die! I couldn't say so on the 2014 thread, just in case TG was looking in, you know what he's like? ;)

Of course, I knew you were just throwing ideas at it, young Paulus! :)

I do appreciate it, you know! ❤️ :D

And, by the way, your C1 shilling is full-on eye candy, one of the most pleasingly balanced reverses I've seen, really nice die! I couldn't say so on the 2014 thread, just in case TG was looking in, you know what he's like? ;)

Oh yes, poor Richard is well compromised ... on the one hand he is pleased that hammered and especially C1 is increasingly popular on this Forum, on the other he doesn't want competition for any rarities / niceties that may appear ... a common dilemma with all collectors who want to share on-line perhaps? :D:D

Only teasing TG!

Edited by Paulus

Oh, too late for apologies now, Paul, he'll be giving you what for, and no mistakin'! ;)

pfft.. I have to share the early milled now.. as long as people stick to C1 and away from the milled. happy days.

That's a lovely James I shilling that would fit into a Stuart collection !

That's a lovely James I shilling that would fit into a Stuart collection !

:D Racing on too fast with old Auctiva templates, as usual! Good spot! ;)