British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Gary

1840 Rupee

I have just acquired this 1840 Rupee and the only info I have is from the Krause Cat and I am a little confused!

It says there are three different Mints that minted the 1840 Rupee Bombay, Calcutta and Madras.

Am I right in assuming that if the truncation has only the engravers initial WW then it is from the Calcutta Mint?

WWB or WWS = Madras

Bombay?

This one only has W.W. on the truncation.

Who is in the know on Indian coins?

Thanks in advance

Gary

post-439-0-41783500-1417810669_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary

I've picked up some rupees and understand there are many varieties.

I also like the coppers but confess to being no expert.

I've got quite hooked on the Rupees. They are quite easy to come by and are not that expensive they also look good. The 1840 is only low grade but the price I paid reflected that.

Is there any good Literature on Indian coins?

Having looked at the pics of the coppers I think I will have to try and get hold of a few. The quarter and half Anna's look to be nice coins!

Ebay has been a happy hunting ground for Indian coins.I just got 8 AU/UNC coppers for less than £6 delivered.

The rupees have generally been less than £10 and similar to gothic florins IMO.

There are quite a few varieties on the rupee series, the book that best guides you through the maze is The Uniform Coinage of India - 1835 to 1947 - by Paul Stevens and Randy Weir. I'll have a look at your coin over the weekend, but don't get your hopes up; I'm not that good yet.

Thanks for the book info Badger. I have ordered a copy :D

Thanks Badger it has gone on my Xmas list.