British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
damian1986

Mint-darkened penny

Closest I've seen is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scarce-1945-Britain-One-Penny-1d-Very-Good-Detailed-George-VI-Ref-326-/201051280542?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item2ecf97149e

Nice eye-appeal and 'lustre' but two unfortunate digs on the obverse. I think a real nice one would be worth 30 or 40 quid. Who's got a roll of 'em?

I've got two of the damn things! I'm keeping them both though - one is a rich dark purple like that one, while the other is a mid gold-brown, rather lighter than the average mint toned penny (but not lustred).

I've got two of the damn things! I'm keeping them both though - one is a rich dark purple like that one, while the other is a mid gold-brown, rather lighter than the average mint toned penny (but not lustred).

Oh no such teasing ;)

Actually I spoke with Michael Gouby yesterday and he is sending me one out so that may do the job.

• Like 1

Hi damian .

Would be keen to see a photo if possible .

Thanks pete.

Hey Pete here you go. I think I managed to get pretty close on colour, it's a nice brown.

55717d89cbb00f410169f3b7e5cf687f.jpg

62f91a77757c3e499ece7ffec340ed2e.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely.

Great example

Hi damian .

Would be keen to see a photo if possible .

Thanks pete.

Hey Pete here you go. I think I managed to get pretty close on colour, it's a nice brown.

55717d89cbb00f410169f3b7e5cf687f.jpg

62f91a77757c3e499ece7ffec340ed2e.jpg

Oooops. You may or may not have noticed ... that's a 1946 not a 1945!!

1025763.jpg

987829.jpg

I do like the wear on the first one, adds a bit of colour.

Edited by scott

Oooops. You may or may not have noticed ... that's a 1946 not a 1945!!

Ah yes no specific date required for me here. I sold one in the past and that was probably the only one I regret letting go but I think the one I got now is from the same batch.

Scott you are well up there on omnicoin just had a gander. This one goes down as one of my bargain buys at £8.50.

Yes - 1946 would be the easiest route into this type. 1944 are the most difficult, and 1945 aren't too easy either. The main problem is that 1946 are either/or, so you have to check carefully to make sure you have a mint darkened example. The one you got is a nice example - good price too.

Sign in to follow this