British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

problem is pretty much as seen on this forum, alot of the right people did not see it in time or didnt pick up on it

Plenty people saw it i am aware of ,infact me and another forum member discussed what it would sell for as soon as it was listed and before a bid was made.

The day after a couple of people had picked up on it probably because it was showing at around £150 .

If you have one or dont want one better to let someone else have it :)

Unless its a BIN thats cheap of which i would buy them straight away ;)

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, blakeyboy said:

An interesting question to ask is why did the penny sell for less than half what It would go for at auction?

What forces are at work that makes the Ebay coin seem less worthy?

Is this true of all coins on Ebay compared to say, LCA?

A bit more of a safety net via an auction house Blake and the chance to view the coin in hand.

They dont all sell for less than half :)

To my mind, and it is difficult to be sure from photos, it is a nicer looking coin than the one that just sold on LCA for about 2k with juice. I will post pics in due course. My winning bid was a fraction of my actual bid. As anticipated the vendor had several bin offers, I had warned him he would get them, can’t abide that, I would rather have a chance to win fair and square. The 1879 small date that briefly appeared yesterday may have been pulled for this reason, sadly.

There have been some interesting pennies on the bay over the last couple of months, I have a backlog to photo thanks to the domestic situation (move and renovation) but will get snapping soon.

From a wet Japan,

Jerry

Hat off Jerry and glad you bought it.

Yes we dont like sweet talkers and they piss me off aswell :)

Dont be moaning about the weather its not cracking flags here either :D

Have a good time.

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

id say it can get an easy MS63 if your going down that route, possibly enough lustre to give it a RB designation too. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

An interesting question to ask is why did the penny sell for less than half what It would go for at auction?

What forces are at work that makes the Ebay coin seem less worthy?

Is this true of all coins on Ebay compared to say, LCA?

because most of them are not exactly honest to the description. LCA and other coin auctions will tell you if the coin has faults. Ebay they either omit the flaws or doctor the pictures to make the coins more appealing. I don't think I have had more than 5 exactly what was described. Plus LCA is third party whereas ebay the sellers actually own the stuff they sell. I know LCA  do sell their coins but other auction houses are merely middlemen. :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rpeddie said:

id say it can get an easy MS63 if your going down that route, possibly enough lustre to give it a RB designation too. :) 

That’s pretty much what I reckon, though I’m not a slabber! My coins go in rimless capsules in a mahogany coin cabinet.

its definitely a lot better than my 1926 ME :)

1926-ME-penny-pcgs-grade-vf45.jpg

3 minutes ago, jelida said:

That’s pretty much what I reckon, though I’m not a slabber! My coins go in rimless capsules in a mahogany coin cabinet.

Interesting points that jump out. there seems to be a die flaw above the sea on the left  and check the D on DEF could that be an underlying R. I expect its a pinch or a start of a die crack but who knows :)

10 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

LCA.....will tell you if the coin has faults. 

Not if they think they can get away without doing so they won't. :rolleyes:

41 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

A bit more of a safety net via an auction house Blake and the chance to view the coin in hand.

They dont all sell for less than half :)

Pete just get down South I've been roasting my nuts off today.The local blacksmith is doing your cage..I can't waft to waft my farthings and Bury pennies...what fruit do Northern monkies eat.?

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Pete just get down South I've been roasting my nuts off today.The local blacksmith is doing your cage..I can't waft to waft my farthings and Bury pennies...what fruit do Northern monkies eat.?

Wind your neck in :D

You might be interested to know Peter i bought some farthings at the weekend :o

But sold them to a forum member today ;)

12 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Wind your neck in :D

You might be interested to know Peter i bought some farthings at the weekend :o

But sold them to a forum member today ;)

You Sir as a prime CHANT...i can usually lick them into shape....*&$$&! you &^%$*% North twit^_^

8 hours ago, Peter said:

You Sir as a prime CHANT...i can usually lick them into shape....*&$$&! you &^%$*% North twit^_^

Your getting very brave typing on your keyboard and using a vile word like that.

You are extremely lucky on this occasion that you did not say that to my face as i would of knocked you farther back than John the baptist.

I suggest you sort your head out as your a disgrace to yourself and obviously some form of low life scum.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jelida said:

To my mind, and it is difficult to be sure from photos, it is a nicer looking coin than the one that just sold on LCA for about 2k with juice. I will post pics in due course. My winning bid was a fraction of my actual bid. As anticipated the vendor had several bin offers, I had warned him he would get them, can’t abide that, I would rather have a chance to win fair and square. The 1879 small date that briefly appeared yesterday may have been pulled for this reason, sadly.

There have been some interesting pennies on the bay over the last couple of months, I have a backlog to photo thanks to the domestic situation (move and renovation) but will get snapping soon.

From a wet Japan,

Jerry

Ah yes- as I thought....just because you are a close auction loser doesn't mean you ever had a chance- you don't know what the winner left as their bid....good job I wasn't tempted more- all I would have done is cost you money Jerry!!!

• Like 1

Here's the one I got off Ebay in a £300 pile of pennies a few years back..

P1030180.jpeg

P1030178.jpeg

• Like 1

Very nice, and a bargain! Did you know it was there, or a pleasant surprise?

Jerry

1926ME penny obv rev.jpg

Given to me as a schoolboy in 1968 - in change, from a bus conductor! I'd only just started collecting, and I didn't have any 1926. It was many months before I realised (oh happy day) that it was an ME. :) 

Blakey - one very similar to yours (but with an attractive green patina) went for over £300 at Warwick & Warwick, back in 2001.

Edited by Peckris
  • Like 1

Well, it was in the background, and this was when ebay's pictures were lower resolution, 

and it was a pile of high grade, so the other bidder wasn't as determined/convinced as me.

I paced up and down for several days until it arrived.

I don't think I've ever opened a package faster.....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Your getting very brave typing on your keyboard and using a vile word like that.

You are extremely lucky on this occasion that you did not say that to my face as i would of knocked you farther back than John the baptist.

I suggest you sort your head out as your a disgrace to yourself and obviously some form of low life scum.

Pete...I'm 6ft and 15 stone....a proper Suffolk lad...my mates are bigger.Time and place to sort U Northern Monkies.My BU's are better than yours...Keep away from farthings...you have been yellow carded..^_^

I am glad you have some big mates as i can use them for a warm up.

You can have a go at me as much as you want,but not any need for that language.

Also remember us northeners are not bothered how big someone is very few stay standing when they are done with a claw.

Behave yourself.

Pete.

• Like 1

Peter, stop winding people up. Just ignore him PWA.

• Like 1

Pete PWA sent me a Freeman block from his original printing.A treasured item.

I could put one days stubble on and pleasure his wife's inner thighs.....Hat off.