British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

2 minutes ago, jelida said:

You don’t often see either for sale, and unless properly described it is a bit ‘pot luck’. My lustrous F175 was a bargain just under £100 from a dealer at the MCF, but my similar F176 was nearer £300 at LCA. They are both very rare in UNCish grades. I would have thought £50 would not be unreasonable for a nice VF, but that is just my thought rather than evidence based.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry

I am keeping my eyes well and truly peeled for anything VF or above, but they are definitely rarer than stated in the books without a doubt. 

I wouldn't normally advertise on this site, but I'm getting rid of various 'penny collector' related items and I'd rather they went to a good home.

I've listed them on eBay today, as two separate lots; books (including Peck, Freeman, Gouby, Bramah etc.) and also catalogues (Freeman, Norweb, Bamford, Adams etc.).  I would consider all of these essential for any serious penny collector. 

Links are here: books & catalogues

I also have various penny-related Quadrum capsule items and storage boxes if anyone is interested in these?

Steve

• Like 1

If you don't get your reserve. Steve, I'd be very interested in the Bramah.  I have all the others.. :)

Equally, I'd be interestedin your Norweb catalogues if you don't manage to shift them, Steve.  

Morning guys and gals. thought I would just ask if I got this right. Poor penny I know which makes ID very difficult. But I believe this is  Freeman F14  Obverse 3 reverse E. Am I correct?

Thanking you kindly :)

1860F14.jpg

• Like 2

I watch with anticipation .. like because, just how?

I have some better than that I couldn't possibly dream of getting close on (except maybe with xrays or time travel). :)

15 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I watch with anticipation .. like because, just how?

I have some better than that I couldn't possibly dream of getting close on (except maybe with xrays or time travel). :)

I used my powers of deduction rev D curves up at the left hand edge so Its not reverse D. That leaves us with  Reverse E as there are no ther reverses used for that year other than the beaded reverses So then it is a case of ID of obverse . Now unless I discovered a new die pairing only Obv 3 was used with rev E . So that is sherlock holmes theory of Identification or deduction as it were :)

36 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

I used my powers of deduction rev D curves up at the left hand edge so Its not reverse D. 

It's too worn to see whether the exergue has the curve. Now what you need to tell us is - where are the initials LCW? Below the lighthouse or below the foot? :lol:

• Like 1

While it's occasionally fun to jest, in all seriousness, how much would a coin in that state actually fetch if it did turn out to be a rare one?

My commmon sense screams "but who on earth would want such a thing?" .. and my OCD side screams back "Whatever it takes to fill that damn gap"...

Am I Conflicted much?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peckris said:

It's too worn to see whether the exergue has the curve. Now what you need to tell us is - where are the initials LCW? Below the lighthouse or below the foot? :lol:

Can you direct me as to which end the foot is please lols:P . The more I am looking at it the more I am talking myself out of it being F14

• Like 2

Pretty much impossible to tell from yours, as sadly, just a bit too worn. Mine is pictured. In addition to LCW under foot, the rock to the right of the lighthouse is very distinctive, and the ship is not quite on the water. Reverse E is quite unique. 

F14 rev.jpg

F14 obv.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Pretty much impossible to tell from yours, as sadly, just a bit too worn. Mine is pictured. In addition to LCW under foot, the rock to the right of the lighthouse is very distinctive, and the ship is not quite on the water. Reverse E is quite unique. 

F14 rev.jpg

F14 obv.jpg

Really nice example Mike! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

F14 rev.jpg

F14 obv.jpg

#CoinEnvy!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

Really nice example Mike! 

Thanks Bob. It's the one I got at the Copthorne auction in 2016. I should also have added that the Shield rim is thicker than normal.

7 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

#CoinEnvy!

OMG I almost melted through screen to grab hold of that beauty lol :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

While it's occasionally fun to jest, in all seriousness, how much would a coin in that state actually fetch if it did turn out to be a rare one?

My commmon sense screams "but who on earth would want such a thing?" .. and my OCD side screams back "Whatever it takes to fill that damn gap"...

Am I Conflicted much?

I'm never too sure - I'd personally hold out for something with a bit more meat on the bone still. Tens of dollars would be what I'm willing to spend. 

On 11/1/2017 at 9:34 PM, mrbadexample said:

Righto then, who's going to tell me what on earth went on here? :o

1964.jpg

I think maybe got it sorted after asking people who are into these :D Its a partial brockage a couple / few struck as full brockage then that broke leaving only a part.

Matt (nordle) told me thats what he thought but showed it someone yesterday , i didnt give them any opinions but he said the same.

Not any big deal but its been getting on my nerves and otherwise was going to post it to the RM.

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

Think looks more like a repair to an underneath earlier O (at 140x mag).............rather than an N...............but I see it's already reached £261

1877 ONE Repair.jpg

15 minutes ago, alfnail said:

Think looks more like a repair to an underneath earlier O (at 140x mag).............rather than an N...............but I see it's already reached £261

1877 ONE Repair.jpg

N? how did they come to that conclusion lol?

8 hours ago, secret santa said:

If it was O over sideways O logic would tell us the fat part would be where the thin line is surely?