British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Yes the detail is really clear for it to be anything to do with the obverse.

I think your on the right lines Ian and is a strange looking thing.

Edited by PWA 1967

IMO, that was a planchet flake off another coin that was off the obverse surface and then flipped and struck into this coin with subsequent "freeing" of the fragment. The planchet of this coin ought to weigh close to the 9.4 gm standard.

• Like 3

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:01 PM, secret santa said:

Liam

Could put the obverse up as well or PM me a photo and I'll add it to the website although they're coming out of the woodwork so fast that it may prove to be not so rare as I thought.

Richard

I think this may have been caused by a small piece of metal getting itself pressed with part of the obverse image, then being flipped over to face the other way up on top of the next blank about to be pressed, the two pieces of metal,[ the blank and the smaller piece of metal ] were then pressed together ,this would give the brockage, but only over the area where the smaller piece of metal had been. The two pieces of metal must then have parted company , leaving the blank, now a coin looking like yours.    Terry

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bernie said:

By the size of the loop in the bottom of the 8 it aint an 8 either :)

Just arrived. Sorry pics a little naff but you can see it at least :)  Proof 1937 penny missing waves.

1937missingwavespennyobverseproof-horz.jpg

• Like 3

That is a lovely looking coin, very good condition.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IanB said:

That is a lovely looking coin, very good condition.

Thanks Ian. a close up shot :P

1937mw2-horz.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎30‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:01 PM, secret santa said:

Liam

Could put the obverse up as well or PM me a photo and I'll add it to the website although they're coming out of the woodwork so fast that it may prove to be not so rare as I thought.

Richard

This is not an 1882 its an 1862 penny as it has an obverse 6 only used  up to 1874 .  Terry   https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Great-Britain-1882-NO-H-One-Penny-Queen-Victoria-HOLLED-NO-RESERVE/272917120131?hash=item3f8b20c483:g:iVIAAOSw5gFZdPkn

What about a garage job? Someone cut up a penny put the piece on top and under a press vice left the indent to look like a partial brockage?

The daddy of them all. I nearly was going to cough up 9.99 for it just as a something to put in the year gap. Not the greatest but far from the worse I have seen and they aged it well.Got to hand it to them the restrike guys are definitely getting better:rolleyes::huh::D

1933b-horz.jpg

• Like 1

Another 1937 couldn't let it go for 75 pence would be sacrilege

1937pennyobverse-tile.jpg

• Like 2

Ok. I,ve bought my new Freemans Bronze catalogue and had a good read at it. Then this1860 penny on ebay gets thrown in the mix. It has a triple strike on the F.  I put in a high bid for it but was still outbid. Is it rare?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Victorian-One-Penny-Coin-1860-EF-Grade-Lustre-Scarcer-Year-Issue/382289638567?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

20 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Ok. I,ve bought my new Freemans Bronze catalogue and had a good read at it. Then this1860 penny on ebay gets thrown in the mix. It has a triple strike on the F.  I put in a high bid for it but was still outbid. Is it rare?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Victorian-One-Penny-Coin-1860-EF-Grade-Lustre-Scarcer-Year-Issue/382289638567?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Lucky sod I fell asleep waiting for that . Good job :) Oh you was outbid :(

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

I would say quite rare in decent condition, this is only the second I’ve seen on EBay. LCA has sold several, one of which is in my collection. It would be a single die coin, I would anticipate a Freeman rarity in the mid teens. I think the price reached was a little high given the edge knock and light cleaning, but not extortionate.

Jerry

• Like 2

I think the seller will be more than happy :)

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, declan03 said:

Declan,

The triple "F" 1860 penny is a Gouby BP1860Jd. It has the really nice triple "F", plus a double "T", and a double "1" in the date. I have one slabbed AU55BN by NGC.  Gouby shows 10+ known, with the Best at AU90.

• Like 3

just a heads up for all the penny collectors here.

no Freeman number for this one ;) 

Penny

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rpeddie said:

just a heads up for all the penny collectors here.

no Freeman number for this one ;) 

Penny

I try and steer away from those cheap coins :lol:

• Like 1

As always guys buy the coin not the slab, ms63 might be on the higher side of the grading for this coin considering some of the damage of the fields.

Price will most likely go for a ms63 coin rather than the lower examples out there, mind you it is a good upgrade if you are looking to replace your current one ;) 

Hi Folks

Does anyone have any idea what the 1913 F175 & F176 go for in VF +. This is my F176 at the moment, but it was even hard to find in this condition and way out of my price range in Uncirculated. 

Cheers

George-V-1913-Penny-F176-2+A-2.jpg

You don’t often see either for sale, and unless properly described it is a bit ‘pot luck’. My lustrous F175 was a bargain just under £100 from a dealer at the MCF, but my similar F176 was nearer £300 at LCA. They are both very rare in UNCish grades. I would have thought £50 would not be unreasonable for a nice VF, but that is just my thought rather than evidence based.

Jerry

• Like 1