British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi luke in that condition nothing really sorry ,maybe £1 on ebay.

Pete.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brad said:

Penny 1860 Beaded Border Trial Obverse, Gouby dies A1+b, R and I of BRITT do not touch at the bases, we note there was no example in the Laurie Bamford, Alderley or James Workman collections, VG/approaching Fine and extremely rare

Actually, there was an example in the James Workman collection - Part 1, Lot 3.

4 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Penny 1860 Beaded Border Trial Obverse, Gouby dies A1+b, R and I of BRITT do not touch at the bases, we note there was no example in the Laurie Bamford, Alderley or James Workman collections, VG/approaching Fine and extremely rare

I think they mean that R and E of REG don't touch at their bases - R and I of BRITT never touch at their bases on these pattern obverses.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I think they mean that R and E of REG don't touch at their bases - R and I of BRITT never touch at their bases on these pattern obverses.

You tell 'em Richard !

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, secret santa said:

I don't know, you just can't get the staff these days !!!!! :lol:

• Like 1

Guest Luke.m
20 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Hi luke in that condition nothing really sorry ,maybe £1 on ebay.

Pete.

Haha thanks anyway. 

Well, somewhat disappointingly, all those rare pennies have now disappeared from the LCA June Auction Preview. The only one remaining is the 1871 :( 

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Well, somewhat disappointingly, all those rare pennies have now disappeared from the LCA June Auction Preview. The only one remaining is the 1871 :( 

I suspect they are merely resting and will burst forth cometh the hour. All that matters is what is for sale on the day.

Semra did tell me yesterday at the coin fair that they were selling a collection, and that there would be a lot more pennies in the catalogue. I hope so, as there doesn't seem to be much about otherwise in the penny way.

Jerry

21 minutes ago, jelida said:

Semra did tell me yesterday at the coin fair that they were selling a collection, and that there would be a lot more pennies in the catalogue. I hope so, as there doesn't seem to be much about otherwise in the penny way.

Jerry

There were some interesting and very scarce examples, Jerry. They included a Gouby 1860 variant, a proof 1860, a proof 1868, a F24, a F38 (in pretty good shape) and an 1863 die No 4 under date, in fine. Really good stuff.

Hopefully, as Rob says, they will re-appear. My first thought was that the vendor had withdrawn them.       

Anything can happen right up to the point when the lot is announced. Even the printed catalogue is not necessarily the final article.

In St. James's 13 (March 2010), the estimates on a dozen gold and silver lots I was interested in were raised on the day by about a grand across the board. All were submitted by a US dealer either on his own account or on behalf of a customer. This was on the back of a marked increase in prices at the end of 2009/early 2010 and was perfectly within the vendor's rights, however frustrating it might be for bidders. In consequence, I ignored them and only bought one lot that was unaffected.

I'm sure that Paul from LCA reads this forum and he may well be updating some descriptions after seeing some of our comments.

• Like 1

On 05/04/2017 at 7:21 PM, secret santa said:

Actually, there was an example in the James Workman collection - Part 1, Lot 3.

Yes you are right.

This is a damn shame. A Freeman 30, 6 over 8 in otherwise very reasonable condition given its rarity, but the Queen is smoking a pipe. Some graffiti artist has mucked about with it. link to offer

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Yes i saw that Mike.

I think if it was mine i would send it to that guy in America to make look better as i could not have it like that.

Of all the coins to mess with :(

6 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes i saw that Mike.

I think if it was mine i would send it to that guy in America to make look better as i could not have it like that.

Of all the coins to mess with :(

I was sort of momentarily tempted myself, Pete, but decided I couldn't live with that. 

Well someone bought it yesterday.

Maybe the " power of the forum " again as had been on a few days :D

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Well someone bought it yesterday.

Maybe the " power of the forum " again as had been on a few days :D

Could be just that.

In one sense it's a hell of a bargain. In another it does have that serious blemish which defiitely detracts.

Can it actually be treated, so as to remove all traces?

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Could be just that.

In one sense it's a hell of a bargain. In another it does have that serious blemish which defiitely detracts.

Can it actually be treated, so as to remove all traces?

Judging by the plugged holes that were posted on here somewhere, I'd say yes. You'd always know but it would be a lot easier to live with. The problem comes when it's subsequently sold on...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Judging by the plugged holes that were posted on here somewhere, I'd say yes. You'd always know but it would be a lot easier to live with. The problem comes when it's subsequently sold on...

But the tone won't be the same though. AT will need to be used after the "fix" I think.

• Like 1

Guest Parma

Can some help identify this obverse please?

brad1.png

Victoria pattern beaded obverse Gouby A or B (Freeman 1** or 1*) with R & E of REG touching at the base - almost certainly A (1**) 

Take a look at my Penny Varieties website for details of these two obverses.

Guest Reply

Appreciate that Secret Santa. That is what I thought as well given the thick rim, R and E aligning perfectly and bulging eyeball. I have not been able to say whether it is a Gouby A or B conclusively, though there is no visible indentation on the shoulder next to the lower trailing colon dot. Thanks for helping identify that as a Gouby A (1**).

Another clarification if you won’t mind. This coin does not show an inverted die axis on the reverse, is this normal? The only other pattern reverse that I have inspected personally had it, unless that coin had a 180 degree die rotation error. The reverse is a normal B with triple lines on the shield.

The only pattern I know with inverted reverse is F762 (Gouby A1 [R & E don't touch]+a)

Guest Reply 1

Thank you Secret Santa F763.