British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Don't think I ever showed any of these three - Freemans 80, 82 & 87 all in very pleasing conditions. The 80 from LCA, the 82 off e bay (was allegedly broken out of an MS65 slab, and I think is ex Alderley) and the 87 from Colin Cooke. All in 2014 when I wasn't really posting to the forum too much.

freemans 80 82 and 87 rev.jpg

freemans 80 82 and 87 obv.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 4

Very nice Mike!

7 minutes ago, jelida said:

Very nice Mike!

Cheers Jerry :)

29 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Don't think I ever showed any of these three - Freemans 80, 82 & 87 all in very pleasing conditions. The 80 from LCA, the 82 off e bay (was allegedly broken out of an MS65 slab, and I think is ex Alderley) and the 87 from Colin Cooke. All in 2014 when I wasn't really posting to the forum too much.

freemans 80 82 and 87 rev.jpg

freemans 80 82 and 87 obv.jpg

Three nice pennies...especially the 75 wide date! 

2 hours ago, RLC35 said:

Three nice pennies...especially the 75 wide date! 

Thanks a lot, Bob.

Going back to the Mint Toned coins as cant find any information elsewhere ,does anyone know why the 1934 was Mint Toned please ?.

Pete.

13 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Going back to the Mint Toned coins as cant find any information elsewhere ,does anyone know why the 1934 was Mint Toned please ?.

Pete.

Pete, as nobody else has tackled your question, I thought I'd give my two pennuth, for what it's worth.

Whilst we all know that 1934, some of 1935 and 1944 to 1946 pennies, were mint toned, actually finding out why is not that easy. The only thing I can find is what Freeman wrote at page 17 of "The Bronze Coinage of Great Britain", 1985 edition.

Before and during the reign of Victoria, 'bronzed proofs' and patterns were struck. The term 'bronzed', confusing but unfortunately now standard, refers purely to the surface colour or finish, a light chocolate brown, and not to the metal content. It resulted from a special treatment to which the coins were subjected, in order to prevent the darkening which occurs to the brilliant golden colour of natural , unbronzed, pieces after a short period in contact with the atmosphere. In the text, where no mention is made of the finish, the surface is the natural, untreated one. Bronzed pieces generally have a more matt finish than unbronzed. The dark finish given to pennies from 1944-46 before issue, was achieved in a similar way, by the use of 'hypo', as was that on pennies of 1934 and some of 1935.       

That's the nearest I can find, although you could always contact the Royal Mint for further information, or ask to see the Royal Mint report for 1934. It's not 100% clear. I also had a look in Peck, but apart from an acknowledgement that they were mint toned, I can't see anything else in there. 

Thinking about it, didn't @Peckris in his articles about bronze coinage for the coin magazine, cover this period? I did read them but can't recall whether he referred to the mint toning in those years, and I've chucked them away now. Might be worth digging yours out, if you got them, and still have them.       

9 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Thinking about it, didn't @Peckris in his articles about bronze coinage for the coin magazine, cover this period? I did read them but can't recall whether he referred to the mint toning in those years, and I've chucked them away now. Might be worth digging yours out, if you got them, and still have them.       

@1949threepence the write ups Peckris did are still available to read here http://www.jncoins.co.uk/JNC/modules/blockblog/blockblog-all-posts.php

35 minutes ago, azda said:

@1949threepence the write ups Peckris did are still available to read here http://www.jncoins.co.uk/JNC/modules/blockblog/blockblog-all-posts.php

Thanks for that - very useful. I found the articles. At the end of the fourth article Peckris says that "next month, in the final article on the coinage of George V, I will cover the period 1927 to 1936". Unfortunately that one article, which would be the relevant one for 1934 pennies, seems to be missing. Or at any rate, I can't find it. 

Edited by 1949threepence

The fifth article, in March 2016's Coin News, contains the following reference:

".....the less scarce 1934 penny which is notable for being issued with the lustre 'mint toned' - not dark as with farthings between 1897 and 1918, but a dull reddish colour achieved using sodium thiosulphate ("hypo")."

And that's all she wrote.....

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies .

I have asked a few people but nobody seems to be sure.

If i get an answer that stacks up i will post :)

Pete.

Do we know whether coins were treated with hypo after striking, or were they struck on pretreated blanks?  If the latter, it may purely be a case of a different supplier of the bronze blanks.

Edited by davidrj

I have been told they were treated after striking but not sure.

Also that as there were none struck for 1933 they did not want people hoarding a relatively low mintage that the royal mint  thought had happened in 1932.

Apparently this was printed in a book but i cant find it :)

Here's a simple question. Can hypo, which is Sodium Thiosulphate and thus interacts with copper to produce Copper Sulphide, be used to re-tone cleaned coins quickly?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

Here's a simple question. Can hypo, which is Sodium Thiosulphate and thus interacts with copper to produce Copper Sulphide, be used to re-tone cleaned coins quickly?

Dave they would not retone it without looking different it would be similar to putting in a purple dip 

I have had numerous dates 1932/37/48 that are different in colour (Purple) i have sold, some described afterwards by dealers as mint toned.

Pete.

• Like 1

I have a couple of bun heads with nice purple hues. Maybe the reason. Didn't know that one Pete. The coins are still very nice so are still keepers, but know for future reference. Cheers

13 minutes ago, bhx7 said:

I have a couple of bun heads with nice purple hues. Maybe the reason. Didn't know that one Pete. The coins are still very nice so are still keepers, but know for future reference. Cheers

The colour of the buns is toning and different metal mix IMO i have sold a few really high grade but black.

The latter dates including 1932 not any real explanation and the 1932 IAN B has maybe he can put a picture up as i havent got it anymore and did not take a picture :)

Edited by PWA 1967

I received this in the post today , its taken a month to arrive [ incorrectly addressed ] .and so I thought it to be lost , so I'm thrilled to at last have it safe in my hands.  its one I did not 1909  f169   terrys.JPG have.:D     Terry

Edited by terrysoldpennies
  • Like 7

On 12/21/2016 at 4:54 PM, PWA 1967 said:

Stupid thing above wont delete.

Hat off Terry and glad you got it safely one i have not got and well bought :)

4 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Stupid thing above wont delete.

Hat off Terry and glad you got it safely one i have not got and well bought :)

Thanks everyone I've been lucky .       terry 

• Like 1

Well done Terry, I dont have one either;  was it already recognised, or a brilliant bargain?

Jerry

7 hours ago, jelida said:

Well done Terry, I dont have one either;  was it already recognised, or a brilliant bargain?

Jerry

I could not believe it when it came up on E.bay.  a buy it now £4, postage included, but I certainly sweated buckets when I thought it had gone missing.    Terry

• Like 4

3 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

I could not believe it when it came up on E.bay.  a buy it now £4, postage included, but I certainly sweated buckets when I thought it had gone missing.    Terry

That makes it an even better find :)

So glad it turned up for you as it would of done my head in.