British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

6 minutes ago, secret santa said:

The 'D:G:' doesn't look like the norm to me. What's the die combo (save me spending an hour trying to work it out, too many 1860s)? I know you know it :P 

7 minutes ago, secret santa said:

its a 2+d  maybe they think its a 2*+d  , Its not     Terry

Bog standard F10 (2+D) although the specifics say N over Z. The bidding history looks very suspicious.

15 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Well it's certainly not about uncirculated, nor as far as I can see is it an N over sideways N (Z), as suggested by the vendor. 

69 bids for that, most of them by the same bidder? Yes, very fishy indeed. 

About as dodgy as a nine bob note, I'd say,

2 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Bog standard F10 (2+D) although the specifics say N over Z. The bidding history looks very suspicious.

Hmm, well clearly not N over Z (and anyone who is spending 400 quid on one surely knows what they look like). Plus even if it was, it shouldn't be this high. Looks like it's had an olive oil bath.

I notice there are, unsurprisingly, five enquiries.  

7 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Well it's certainly not about uncirculated, nor as far as I can see is it an N over sideways N (Z), as suggested by the vendor. 

69 bids for that, most of them by the same bidder? Yes, very fishy indeed. 

About as dodgy as a nine bob note, I'd say,

That bidder's history is also a bit dodgy...

12 bids on one item, 17 bids on another, 18 on another and 50 on what I guess is this one.

..and 5 retracted bids in the last 6 months.. I think I've retracted one or two since I joined years ago.

8 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

That bidder's history is also a bit dodgy...

12 bids on one item, 17 bids on another, 18 on another and 50 on what I guess is this one.

I know we can be unnecessarily suspicious at times, but I have to say that if ever there were an example of what shill bidding might look like, that has to be it.

I'm not saying it definitely is, but if it were, it'd be a classic for training purposes, as we say at work :ph34r:  

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

Second opinion on this?

Doesn't look very legit, and weight is more than it should be (but they could have used poor scales/rounded up)

Thats an awful lot of money to pay for a blank disc with some scratches on:huh:

Just now, IanB said:

Thats an awful lot of money to pay for a blank disc with some scratches on:huh:

Forget the price, I know that it's ludicrous, no-one will pay that. I'm interested in if it's genuine because it doesn't look very good.. but it's been slabbed by NGC..

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

Second opinion on this?

Doesn't look very legit, and weight is more than it should be (but they could have used poor scales/rounded up)

I don't think it's legit to be honest. It may be my imagination, but at 7 o'clock on one of the images, I thought I detected a trace of old border teeth, and gaps at the bottom of the metal, consistent with the area underneath the Monarch's head.

If I had to speculate, I'd say it had been tooled at some point, to make it look like a blank

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

I don't think it's legit to be honest. It may be my imagination, but at 7 o'clock on one of the images, I thought I detected a trace of old border teeth, and gaps at the bottom of the metal, consistent with the area underneath the Monarch's head.

If I had to speculate, I'd say it had been tooled at some point, to make it look like a blank

My thoughts too, however wouldn't tooling drop the weight? According to NGC it's 9.5 grams, although I think they've rounded that up.

The edge is real ragged too, and so many dents and dings all over it.

9 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

My thoughts too, however wouldn't tooling drop the weight? According to NGC it's 9.5 grams, although I think they've rounded that up.

The edge is real ragged too, and so many dents and dings all over it.

Yes, the weight is the only thing which doesn't follow.

But how it managed to circulate for whatever number of years, as a blank piece of metal, I really don't know. You would have thought it would have encountered multiple refusals at selling points, and been returned to a bank, where it would most likely have been withdrawn.

Bit of a mystery, Matt.

• Like 1

Guest CraigPro
On 11/4/2016 at 9:18 AM, terrysoldpennies said:

its a 2+d  maybe they think its a 2*+d  , Its not     Terry

What is 2*

2* is a newly discovered obverse - unrecorded by Freeman or Gouby  - a variant of obverse 2 (Gouby D) with 2 extra border teeth such that the A of VICTORIA  points directly to a tooth rather than to a gap between teeth as on normal obverse 2 (Gouby D). See my varieties website for more details.

Guest CraigPro

Thank you. URL for your site please?

3 hours ago, Guest CraigPro said:

Thank you. URL for your site please?

It's in the above post. ;)

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2015 at 10:33 AM, alfnail said:

Attached are reference pictures of 'P'ENNY and High Sea Level on an F148 I recently sold on ebay

1897 F148 PENNY P.jpg

1897 F148 Tide.jpg

.....or if you are an avid tooth counter like some on this site, and cannot be sure about where your 'P' is pointing :o, then try the counting teeth method. The high tide reverse has 173 border teeth whereas the normal 1897 has 10 teeth fewer, so even allowing for a few teeth which may be difficult to see there is still a decent margin for counting errors. Attached images refer 

1897 High Tide 173 Border Teeth.jpg

1897 Normal Tide 163 Border Teeth.jpg

Guest Sam_guest041

Funny tale (one was a waste of effort and the other a killer) of 2 1881 pennies, which would you choose?

Penny 1

Penny 2

I have better specimens of both so neither for me, but I fancy this 1881

4 hours ago, Guest Sam_guest041 said:

Funny tale (one was a waste of effort and the other a killer) of 2 1881 pennies, which would you choose?

Penny 1

Penny 2

I have better specimens of both so neither for me, but I fancy this 1881

Well I would choose penny two. Of the three options, it's the nicest for the price. Number one you could possibly get better at the same price, and number three is somewhat unrealistically priced, albeit an outstandingly nice specimen.  

The other point to consider about number 3 is that it is given PF status, but is it a genuine proof, or a just prooflike? Given the historical baggage in attribution by US TPGs I would want to see it in hand before parting with my hard earned cash.

6 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Well I would choose penny two. Of the three options, it's the nicest for the price. Number one you could possibly get better at the same price, and number three is somewhat unrealistically priced, albeit an outstandingly nice specimen.  

Number 3 is from Atlasnumismatics, so it will be expensive